[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - BadAngel's Black Housing Headlight Project **UPDATE**8/25/09
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

BadAngel's Black Housing Headlight Project **UPDATE**8/25/09

BadAngel's Black Housing Headlight Project **UPDATE**8/25/09

Postby BadAngel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:31 am

A COUPLE OF TEASER PICS ARE UP IN THE PICTURES

there area couple of new pics of the process (off the car) on this thread too!

All right guys, I began work on my black housing headlight mod last night after I discovered that neither me nor any of my friends had an oven big enough to fit our enormous headlights. Even the semi professional oven we have at my firehouse wont fit the damn thing. Oh well, i resorted to a heat gun and loooots of time (with the help of a friend) anyway I figured I'd keep this thread of my progress. (and guess what!?!? I TOOK PICS THIS TIME!)

Anyway I'll keep this updated with pics and info as I progress, and when my seccond light comes (tomorrow) I'll hopefully finish them up and have them on the car so I can finally take some pics of the car (and change my sig picture) Ill write a tutorial too lol.

Comments are welcome!

**EDIT**
Okay well the seccond headlight came, and i took it apart and am painting it right now. I've also decided to tint the plastic that goes over the turn signal light slightly so it'll give it a darker but not too dark look. The only thing I'm still having problems with is the one circular piece that goes around the projector on the passenger side. I've been sanding and painting it for two days and I just cant get it how I want it so I'll keep trying. More pics soon!!

Last edited by BadAngel on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby akora12 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:37 am

Man, I don't envy you having to use a heat gun instead of an oven, but it's looking good so far. BTW, I have that same shop seat!
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:39 am

Cool, I can't wait to see it finished, good luck!
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Savoiskiy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:40 am

Are you going to paint all the reflective stuff black now?
'05 SE Sport: Front Strut Brace, Rear Sway Bar, Lowering Springs, Axle-Back Exhaust, All TRD
Soon: 18" Work VS-XX Rims, Injen Intake and more goodies!
Savoiskiy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby BadAngel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:25 am

akora12 wrote:Man, I don't envy you having to use a heat gun instead of an oven, but it's looking good so far. BTW, I have that same shop seat!

Hahaha yeah! it was a present from my brother lolz. (i particularly like the beer holder on the side. When im not using it to work on my car, i have it at my "work Bench"

Savoiskiy wrote:Are you going to paint all the reflective stuff black now?

Yepp
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby akora12 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am

BadAngel wrote:i particularly like the beer holder on the side. When im not using it to work on my car, i have it at my "work Bench"

Haha, the beer holder was the reason I purchased that seat over others. Funny how the small things make a big difference.
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:31 pm

hey before u close that bad boy up u might want to remove the amber reflector?
may look cleaner and since u blacking it out it wont look as if something is missing
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Projex0 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:45 pm

make sure you seal it up well so it wont fog up after all the work you did. since you have it open do a retro in the progress

lexus rx projectors are like a 90% direct fit except for drilling an extra hole, from what i was told.
http://store.theretrofitsource.com/prod ... b078a6227e

or grab a clear lens from the site^^ and improve the sharpness of the stock halogen projector if money is an issue.
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Projex0 wrote:make sure you seal it up well so it wont fog up after all the work you did. since you have it open do a retro in the progress

lexus rx projectors are like a 90% direct fit except for drilling an extra hole, from what i was told.
http://store.theretrofitsource.com/prod ... b078a6227e

or grab a clear lens from the site^^ and improve the sharpness of the stock halogen projector if money is an issue.

Yeah now is a great time to do a retro or a swap. At the very least, take apart the projector and cover up that little slit in the shield with some JB weld or what not.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:06 pm

Can't wait to see the finished product!
And YAAYYYY to a new sig pic.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:11 pm

So how are you prepping the Chrome for paint? Just sanding or removing it somehow?
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby BadAngel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:22 pm

99BlackSandv6 wrote:So how are you prepping the Chrome for paint? Just sanding or removing it somehow?

im just gonna rough it up with sand paper and then ill clean it with some denatured alcohol.

uhh whats this about a projector swap?
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby akora12 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:24 pm

I may be in the minority on this, but I think it would be slick to paint the housing black and reinsert the amber reflector. I like maintaining the factory looks in most cases, and even though the factory housing isn't black, many cars have OEM black headlight housing with amber reflectors. I'd totally do it for my car, but the corners are such a biatch to get apart.
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby BadAngel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:37 pm

I'm going to check the state law on it first....
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NightRider » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:53 am

I remember when I did this to my 7th Gen Celica headlights. I baked them in the oven and spray painted them a semi gloss black color to match my car color and they came out pretty damn nice!

So far you are off to a good start just be patient with this project and they will come out nicely.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5