[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Blown knock sensor?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Blown knock sensor?

Blown knock sensor?

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Ok so for the past month or so ive been running my car at 4.5psi with 330cc fuel injectors.
Today Frank and I went to Greg's house and he installed Dats y pipe, 3in OBX exhaust, Jims Fuel mod, 190 walbro fuel pump, an safc and i went to 5.5psi

ok the problem started before we got to Gregs, i was getting on to the freeway and i decide to step on it. After reaching 4k it feels as if the car decides to pull me back and not let me go any farther. Sort of feels like im red lining, and the power doesnt stay constant till 4k it feels as if i lost a lot instead of gaining it.

I spoke with Frank and Greg and they said its most likely the knock sensor and the car is in limp mode or retard mode lol.

Let me know what you guys think.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:25 pm

^holy crap i just noticed i posted in the wrong section. Mods can you please move it to the correct place

haha newbie moment.
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby Midias » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Sounds like when I blew my knock sensor. Did you get a code or check it with an obd2 reader?
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:44 pm

ok so you do think it's the knock sensor? becuase i dont want to have to deal with something being wrong with the internals of the engine.

Well i do have cel, but ive always had it since i bought the car and thats because one of my o2 sensors is fried, but tomorrow morning im going to get it checked out with the code reader and find out what codes it giving me
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby Midias » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:47 pm

I would say yes knock sensor. Do you have a piggyback that lets you watch your timing?
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 pm

sorry bud, noob question whats a piggyback, im new to the boost club lol
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby Midias » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:10 am

ToyoSolV6 wrote:sorry bud, noob question whats a piggyback, im new to the boost club lol

Apexi AFC2 or a NEO?
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:25 am

ahh, yes i do. Gabe gave us the numbers to set it at 7psi. Would having or not having the AFC have anything to do with this?
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby jetbtkng » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 am

no fergie, has nothing to do with your problem, its either a knock sensor, or a short, like i told you, dam kids, not having it , and running 91 octane, broken motor mounts and the engine flopping around could all be the source of the problem............... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:07 am

I think it sounds like a possible knock sensor blown, I know that the engine is affected drastically by knock starting at about 4krpm. If you have a CEL the codes will answer your question. Just do everything the experts on here tell you you should do and you'll be fine.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Blown knock sensor?

Postby GzNutz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:51 am

ToyoSolV6 wrote:Today Frank and I went to Greg's house and he installed Dats y pipe, 3in OBX exhaust, Jims Fuel mod, 190 walbro fuel pump, an safc and i went to 5.5psi

That's a nice list of mods for a one day install. Except for the possible blown knock sensor, it seems you didn't have too bad of a day.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 am

I don't know the safc well does it actually show your timing?
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Dawgz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:20 am

Midias wrote:I don't know the safc well does it actually show your timing?

SAFCII does not show timing, however it does have a knock sensor wire, and if it is hooked up to the correct (blown) knock sensor, you will see that the knk is not acting normal. Under normal operation, the knk will be lower numbers at idle/low throttle and then max 2-400 at full throttle, however when blown, the knk variance stays 10-20~ at low or high throttle. So when the ecu goes into open or closed loop and sees that the KNK is giving out the same numbers at low or high, it will start to pull timing.

I have pulled all this data from personal experience on the road, and having a KNK go out on the dyno.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Dawgz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:23 am

BTW, for the time being before you replace your KNK, here is a band-aid fix to get your power back.

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=33853

If you need further help on this DIY, you can PM me.

But since you live so close to greg, im sure you will have that blown KNK out in 20 minutes and replaced...haha.

GL!
Last edited by Dawgz on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dawgz

Postby Dawgz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:26 am

99BlackSandv6 wrote:I think it sounds like a possible knock sensor blown, I know that the engine is affected drastically by knock starting at about 4krpm. If you have a CEL the codes will answer your question. Just do everything the experts on here tell you you should do and you'll be fine.

ecu starts to accept reading from KNK at about 3k rpm. You can test this if you have a CEL for a blown KNK, reset the ecu, drive, and as soon as you start to get to 3k, it will start to pull timing.

BTW the cheap way of reading timing is with the ELM obdII reader. U can get that on ebay for like 30 bux.
Dawgz

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5