[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Can I use OEM muffler tip on a Magnaflow universal muffler?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Can I use OEM muffler tip on a Magnaflow universal muffler?

Postby PhreakdOut » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:34 am

The resonator is in the midpipe before the rear axle. (After the converter.) Typical for Toyota, this is the most restrictive part of the system. Toyota will design the muffler and fine tune the exhaust by making small adjustments in the resonator. (Removing a specific period of unpleasent frequencies. Usually high frequencies.) This resonator is usually a source of restriction too. Replacing it with a 3-4" round muffler will open things up a little.

For the muffler: 6" round will be fine. Oval would be a little quieter since there is more internal volume in the muffler. (Larger body means more glasswool for the sound to disperse into.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby DriDed » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:34 pm

PhreakdOut wrote:The resonator is in the midpipe before the rear axle. (After the converter.) Typical for Toyota, this is the most restrictive part of the system. Toyota will design the muffler and fine tune the exhaust by making small adjustments in the resonator. (Removing a specific period of unpleasent frequencies. Usually high frequencies.) This resonator is usually a source of restriction too. Replacing it with a 3-4" round muffler will open things up a little.

For the muffler: 6" round will be fine. Oval would be a little quieter since there is more internal volume in the muffler. (Larger body means more glasswool for the sound to disperse into.

I am gonna try all that soon, I am curious to see the end result.

Thanks for the tech info. :)
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby greennova74 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 pm

I kept the stock resonator, then went with a magnaflow oval muffler, and then a stock tip. I got a nice mellow sound and a stock appearance.
2007 Convertible SE

6000k HIDS - 2500k Fogs - Windscreen - Magnaflow Muffler - Injen SRI - 18" Rims (Black with Polished Lip) - Debadged Trunk (except for the "T") - Blacked-Out Emblems, Hood Strip, and Headlights - Katzkin Seats
greennova74
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5