[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HID's...Do I need Relay Harness on Gen 2?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

HID's...Do I need Relay Harness on Gen 2?

HID's...Do I need Relay Harness on Gen 2?

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:58 am

I am ordering HID's tonight from DDM Tuning. I am ordering their Digital Slim Ballast kit. I understand that I need the H11 kit (low beam) and H10 kit (fog lights). I am ordering the 55w 8000k's for my low beams, and 35w 6000k's for my fog lights. So my question is...

Can our stock wiring handle the load that the HID's draw, or will I need a Relay Harness?

IF YES, do I need a separate harness for both low beams AND fog lights?

Just a REMINDER, i have a Gen 2, so information pertaining to any other generation is useless, lol. THANKS!
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby akora12 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:48 am

Gen. 1 or 2, you'll need a harness for however many ballasts you're running.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby pepowdylan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:53 am

So on a gen 1 you will need a wire harness?
2001 SLE | 20% Tint | Coming soon = wheels
pepowdylan
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:11 am

How did I know my thread would be jacked from you Gen1'rs
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:17 am

akora12 wrote:Gen. 1 or 2, you'll need a harness for however many ballasts you're running.

I am referring to the RELAY harness, which is a harness that signals a relay when the lights are turned on. The relay then sends current from the battery straight to the ballasts. I am not referring to the HID Ballast Harness.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:19 am

IIRC, The 55w DDM kit should come with a harness (relay included) that wires straight to the battery. I ordered a separate relay harness and didn't need it. Save yourself the money. I wouldn't worry about for the foglights
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks 1gse...how do you like your DDM HID's? Also can anyone confirm that DDM Digital Slim kits come with a relay harness?
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby N-Dawg » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:36 am

I have the same question, but for the 35w kit. Will I need a harness or can I just run it direct without any concerns? I am also buying from ddm tuning as $25 for an HID kit is hard to pass.
N-Dawg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby akora12 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:28 am

SoSleek wrote:
akora12 wrote:Gen. 1 or 2, you'll need a harness for however many ballasts you're running.

I am referring to the RELAY harness, which is a harness that signals a relay when the lights are turned on. The relay then sends current from the battery straight to the ballasts. I am not referring to the HID Ballast Harness.

I am referring to a relay harness. It should be integrated with the ballast harness.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 1gSE » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:09 pm

SoSleek wrote:Thanks 1gse...how do you like your DDM HID's? Also can anyone confirm that DDM Digital Slim kits come with a relay harness?

I can't complain...everyone else does though :lol: Actually, I've never had anyone flash their hi beams at me and my drive to work includes about 8 miles of highway without any street lights. I have (55w) 6k head lights, and (35w) 4k fogs. The headlights have a nice blue tint, and the fogs are BRIGHT white, they REALLY light up the road just ahead of the car. I'm not sure about the slims, but I'd say they would probably include the same harness.
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:45 pm

1gSE wrote:
SoSleek wrote:Thanks 1gse...how do you like your DDM HID's? Also can anyone confirm that DDM Digital Slim kits come with a relay harness?

I can't complain...everyone else does though :lol: Actually, I've never had anyone flash their hi beams at me and my drive to work includes about 8 miles of highway without any street lights. I have (55w) 6k head lights, and (35w) 4k fogs. The headlights have a nice blue tint, and the fogs are BRIGHT white, they REALLY light up the road just ahead of the car. I'm not sure about the slims, but I'd say they would probably include the same harness.

People flash their lights at me all the time with my stock lights... drives me insane. So when that happens i just click on my brights to give them something to complain about lol
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kpxboi0619 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Here's my experience with the DDM. I ordered the kit both low and high beam. I didn't receive any confirmation or order status, found out that they didn't have the 35W in stock told me to wait about 2weeks but they still took out the money out of my card. so I just asked them for the money back and they did. and I got another HID set from a different place. :)
just letting you know. call them ahead and make sure they have your stuff in stock.
kpxboi0619
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:13 pm

^^Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I called and asked about the samething. I was told they were having people come in on the weekend to put together kits cuz they had so many orders and said it would ship the following monday. Haven't had any problems though
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:36 pm

ive been running 35w HIDs without a harness for about a year
no problems
only thing is i think my HIDs+Navi drain my battery easily, so i cant sit for more than 15 minutes with both on and not have the engine on
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks for all of the replys...can anyone confirm that the H10 is the correct size for the fog lights on a gen2?

much appreciated!
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5