[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Do HID's on gen2 require bumper removal?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Do HID's on gen2 require bumper removal?

Do HID's on gen2 require bumper removal?

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:01 am

I have read many posts on here about the installing HID's on gen2's. Some of the posts mention things like "once you have your bumper off you will see good places to mount the ballast". From just looking at my headlights it seems that removing the bumper wouldn't be necessary, as there seems to be enough room to access the bulb, and a good space on each side to mount the ballast. If there is something that I am missing please let me know.

Thanks guys!
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:03 am

I should mentiont hat i will be installing Fog's as well. Maybe removing the bumper will simplify everything, I know it is just a few screws.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Biggi_e » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:40 am

it will be easier if you removed your bumper but i think you can install it by just moving your wheels to the opposite way.
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby crispone » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:01 am

No bumper removal necessary. (You could for access, but I never did. Perhaps I'm lazy?)

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby BadAngel » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 am

you dont need to... especially not for the headlights... but for the fog lights your going to need to at least unscrew the kick panel under the car...
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby LostSoul » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 pm

i did to find a better mounting place for the ballast
LostSoul
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks for the info. I couldn't get to a computer to check the responses before the install, so I had planned to remove it just for ease, but realized that things would be just as easy just taking out the shrouds under the bumper. These lights are absolutely SICK! I will make a separate post with pictures. I ordered the DDM Tuning 55w 8000k for low beam and the DDM Tuning 35w 6000K for the fogs. They say you loose some color from the higher output of the 55w, and to go one temperature higher so they match well. The two kits i bought matched perfect. and the color of both are a diamond white light with slight blue hue. When looking directly into the lights they look white or pretty vibrant blue depending on the angle. Roadsigns look like LED TV's when I drive by. We'll enough blabbing...ill snap some pictures tonight.

Thanks again for the help!
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:19 am

Also the DDM Tuning Digital Slim kit's are extremely nice quality. The ballasts are unique in the fact that the casings are stamped metal saying DDM and have raised heat sinks. You can tell these are no generic kit that are just slapped with a DDM sticker. Wires are all 12 gauge and plugs all have watertight seals. The best part is that DDM has a lifetime replacement on the entire kit including the bulbs. If anything fails you send it in and shipping is free before 30 days, and after you just have to pay to send in and they pay to send back to you. Sounds good to me! :-P
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby N-Dawg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:51 am

Good to hear they are good quality and give nice color. I ordered 2 HID kits, 35w, 6000k klast night and confirmed with their customer service that they will shipp them out Monday.

BTW, you will not need to remove the bumper for the lows. For the fogs you just have to remove the bottom panel.
N-Dawg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Do HID's on gen2 require bumper removal?

Postby Joseph K » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:32 pm

I took the bumper cover off when I did hid's on my girlfriend's 07. I put them in her fogs and lows, looks awesome. The bumper cover is really easy to remove actually, plus it makes it a lot easier to find good mounting points, etc.
Joseph K
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NewShockerGuy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:16 am

What bulb size did you get for the foglights?

I keep reading that they are h10s?
Is that correct? I had piaa ion's H1's in my suby but wanted something yellow for my fiance's 07' solara.

thanks,
-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:52 pm

NewShockerGuy wrote:What bulb size did you get for the foglights?

I keep reading that they are h10s?
Is that correct? I had piaa ion's H1's in my suby but wanted something yellow for my fiance's 07' solara.

thanks,
-Nigel

http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26132
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NewShockerGuy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:09 am

Have a how to on how to remove the bumper? I plan on doing this tomorrow..

Thanks much!

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5