[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HID fogs
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

HID fogs

Re: HID fogs

Postby DriDed » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:46 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:
kingkakyle wrote:
GzNutz wrote:I had the bumper pulled off the front and screwed the ballast brackets on to the outer sides of the frame.

=T i wanted to avoid removing the bumper lol

No need to remove the bumper. I was able to install it without pulling the bumper off. Just lift the car up a little (even driving it on a piece of wood is fine since thats sturdier) and turn the wheel all the way to the right when working on the drivers side, and left when working on passenger side. Youll still be albe to mount the ballast to the frame no problem :D

Am I glad I found this post, I am gonna need this when I do my installs.

I was wondering about that question as well but didn't know how to word it.

Thanks for posting the answer and Kingkayle for the question.

8)
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crazygreek » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:42 am

I have 55W in both top and bottom, I ran a relay so there powered right from the battery. It seems that was the only way I could get them to turn on. Only other problem I have is I have turn the headlights on first, then the fogs. Other than that drove it from 1.5 hours back from cleveland and everything is still good.
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Xtrios » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:39 am

I want to do this, but I don't want it to look too ricer. I already ahve the LED license plate lights and I feel like sometimes people stare at my car and think, "Wow, look at that Lexus poser". I know I shouldn't care what poeple think, but I want my car to look clean and badass.
Xtrios
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NewShockerGuy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:00 am

Installing HIDS in fog lights is the dumbest things you could do .... Read up on the point of fog lights and why you don't want HIDs there...

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby crazygreek » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:14 pm

NewShockerGuy wrote:Installing HIDS in fog lights is the dumbest things you could do .... Read up on the point of fog lights and why you don't want HIDs there...

Nigel,

Not to be a d!c&, but you really shouldn't tell people when they mod there car it's dumb!! Some people take alot of pride in their vehicles with a limitted cash flow and don't need people like you to throw out statement like that. Second of all I didn't know you were the all mighty car guru who knows everything there is to know about moding solaras. Lastly if you going to make statements like that you should back it up by providing a link or some sort of evidence.

I happen to like my HID fogs, they light up the road better then my projector headlights do. I would agree that they are blinding to the oncoming driver, especially the state tropper that pulled me over thinking I had my highbeams on, but that's my choice.

Sorry for being direct it really gets me when people are quick to make statements about other people choices.

Paul
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:23 am

Crazygreek, did you get a ticket or warning for your HIDs?

I am with crazygreek in everything he said, but mainly the fact that I tried keeping my fogs stock with only the HID lows, and the fogs did almost nothing when paired with HIDs. After installing the 35W 6000k fogs it made a night and day difference in how much I lit up the road, I would never want anything BUT HIDs again for both my fogs and lows.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crazygreek » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:41 am

Nope..he basically told me to turn of the fogs and change them when I got home. Took his advise and turned them off.......
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TK3SS631 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:53 am

i have 8k on top, im getting 30k, green :D
Completly Stock
TK3SS631
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:08 am

NewShockerGuy wrote:Installing HIDS in fog lights is the dumbest things you could do .... Read up on the point of fog lights and why you don't want HIDs there...

-Nigel

You have no idea what you are talking about. There are certain areas of the light spectrum that dont cut through fog as well, but that has nothing to do with HID's. HID's are a brighter light source, and have the same light spread as the typical halogen...so why would you NOT put HID's in the fog light housings?
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 am

^^^Actually NewShock does have a point, but the key aspect of his point is that you don't want to have them during actual fog conditions to light your way. HIDs are just too bright to cut through fog, light just bounces off the water droplets and then you can't see crap. To put it simply: the brighter the light the lesser you can see through fog. Also the position of the fog lights (low) is just as important as them being low lit also, you don't want to look ahead through any type of lit fog at an acute angle (i.e. headlight level). Yup, the original concept of implementing fog lights on cars were actually for fog, not for aesthetics as they're designed for today. Which leads me to the point that in my State it's unlawful to ONLY have your foglights on without the headlights even though that is the correct setting to see your way through foggy conditions.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby crazygreek » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 am

Yeah I get that, and that is true. I guess what got me is, (and not to pick on any one in particular here) but it's this almost automatic response in people these days which is, hey that’s dumb or that's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Look none of us are perfect and were all out to get the ride that we want based on our own personal dislike or likes. My initial response to the comment was more for the statement rather than the content. I agree fog lights were/are originally designed to help driving conditions in fogged weather conditions, but then one can criticize under body lights. Sure it serves no purpose other than to make your car look like its floating (again that statement is debatable). My wife thinks it's dumb I think its bad ass. But it's my car and she respects that, she'll never drive it with the neon on LOL but who cares. Still wish she would let me put it on her QX56 but that will never happen. These days even factory fog lights do you no good what so ever. They light up about 3 feet in front of the vehicle; I’m not trying to drive only having three feet of visibility. But hey that’s your choice. So in response LIGHT EM UP, at least look good when you slam into that deer in the fog. He’ll be running into the woods saying, “Damn that dumbass Solara had some bright ass fog lights.”

No hard feeling I hope.
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby NewShockerGuy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:10 am

crazygreek wrote:

Nigel,

Not to be a d!c&, but you really shouldn't tell people when they mod there car it's dumb!! Some people take alot of pride in their vehicles with a limitted cash flow and don't need people like you to throw out statement like that. Second of all I didn't know you were the all mighty car guru who knows everything there is to know about moding solaras. Lastly if you going to make statements like that you should back it up by providing a link or some sort of evidence.

I happen to like my HID fogs, they light up the road better then my projector headlights do. I would agree that they are blinding to the oncoming driver, especially the state tropper that pulled me over thinking I had my highbeams on, but that's my choice.

Sorry for being direct it really gets me when people are quick to make statements about other people choices.

Paul

Paul,

If you knew anything about lighting then you would understand why putting HIDS in foglight housing and using HIDS for foglights is horrible. Do you understand the point of foglights? If you do then you should already know the answer to why putting them in there is a bad idea. Fog lights are used for extreme situations where you are going slow...IE less than 15mph or so and you need to CUT through the fog, hense the reason that putting HIDS in there would bounce the light back into your face... Ever turn you your high beams on when it's FOGGY or HEAVY snow coming down... what happens? It bounce back and it's even harder to see in front of you.

"I happen to like my HID fogs, they light up the road better then my projector headlights do. I would agree that they are blinding to the oncoming driver, especially the state tropper that pulled me over thinking I had my highbeams on, but that's my choice."

Thnk of what you just said above. They are blinding on coming drivers. It's people like you when I am on my motorcycle coming around a corner and BLINDED and then trying not to wreck because I can't see the road in front of me.. if you don't see how bad that is then shame on you. Yes it's your choice to mod the car and yes I love modding (My STi is no where stock)however it takes it to another level when you are now AFFECTING other drivers because of your ignorance in modding. Just because they light up the road more doesn't make it better it means you are throwing STRAY LIGHT EVERYWHERE, in which case I stand by my point of it being DUMB and dangerous.

There are many better lighting solutions than what you have, but it's evident that you are happy with blinding people and won't change. So it can get mad all you want but the fact of the matter is you are providing a dangerous situation to EVERYONE that you are driving up to and passing.
Food for thoght... you are driving and an oncoming truck hits you dead on. The reason he hit you is because your lights blinded him and he no longer could see the road, What then?

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby parkc96 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:12 pm

NewShockerGuy wrote:
crazygreek wrote:

Nigel,

Paul

Paul,

If you knew anything about lighting then you would understand why putting HIDS in foglight housing and using HIDS for foglights is horrible. Do you understand the point of foglights? If you do then you should already know the answer to why putting them in there is a bad idea. Fog lights are used for extreme situations where you are going slow...IE less than 15mph or so and you need to CUT through the fog, hense the reason that putting HIDS in there would bounce the light back into your face... Ever turn you your high beams on when it's FOGGY or HEAVY snow coming down... what happens? It bounce back and it's even harder to see in front of you.

"I happen to like my HID fogs, they light up the road better then my projector headlights do. I would agree that they are blinding to the oncoming driver, especially the state tropper that pulled me over thinking I had my highbeams on, but that's my choice."

Thnk of what you just said above. They are blinding on coming drivers. It's people like you when I am on my motorcycle coming around a corner and BLINDED and then trying not to wreck because I can't see the road in front of me.. if you don't see how bad that is then shame on you. Yes it's your choice to mod the car and yes I love modding (My STi is no where stock)however it takes it to another level when you are now AFFECTING other drivers because of your ignorance in modding. Just because they light up the road more doesn't make it better it means you are throwing STRAY LIGHT EVERYWHERE, in which case I stand by my point of it being DUMB and dangerous.

There are many better lighting solutions than what you have, but it's evident that you are happy with blinding people and won't change. So it can get mad all you want but the fact of the matter is you are providing a dangerous situation to EVERYONE that you are driving up to and passing.
Food for thoght... you are driving and an oncoming truck hits you dead on. The reason he hit you is because your lights blinded him and he no longer could see the road, What then?

-Nigel

jw, what are the better lighting solutions?

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CmeFLY » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:17 am

quick question. i bought my hid kit 8000k top and 3000k fogs.. so i have the ballasts and the bulbs. lifetime warranty. alright so the question is. do we need a relay harness for the kit to work?
[2006 3.3 SLE]---[2 12' Kenwood subs]---[ECLIPSE DOUBLEDIN]---[INJEN SRI]---[TRD RSB/ FSB/ SPRINGS COMING SOON]---[15% tint front 5% tint rear]---[8000k top / 3000k bottom]
CmeFLY
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:21 am

CmeFLY wrote:quick question. i bought my hid kit 8000k top and 3000k fogs.. so i have the ballasts and the bulbs. lifetime warranty. alright so the question is. do we need a relay harness for the kit to work?

Are you gen1 or 2? 55W or 35W? My 55W lows required a relay. My 35W fogs did not. If you have both at 35W talk to Drided, he has 35W lows, I am not sure if he used a relay or not, but I assume your fine without a relay. Give it a try, you shouldn't hurt anything. Worst case you'll have trouble getting them on but playing with them will get them on eventually.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5