[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Getting darker tint
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Getting darker tint

Getting darker tint

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:24 am

So now that I've moved down to south-west Florida (Fort Myers) I need some darker tint cause the Solara is no longer in the garage, its sitting in a parking lot :(

I have tint now, but its kinda light, I had a guy drive up to my car once when getting in trying to get me to get him to tint it, and he looked at my current tint and said its very high quality tint (had it done by Toyota), and he could put his tint over it no problem since it was in good condition.

Im not using this guy... im going to a guy that has been doing our cars for decades and have never had any fading or issues with it. Its gonna be 130 to do everything but the front windshield, and an extra 50 for windshield. I want tint dark enough that you cant see in at all, im not sure what percentage to put over what I have to get that effect. And if i did the windshield I would do a VERY LIGHT reflective type of tint, I have seen this done before and talked to people who did it that said theyve had it for years and didnt get pulled over for it, you cant even tell its tinted unless you walk a couple feet away and know what your looking for.

So, what tint do i go for?

Current tint:

This is what my windshield will always look like (not edited, just reflective in the pic)

Tint I want like my old Yukon, and my dads Yukon:
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Getting darker tint

Postby corlon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:52 pm

5% on all but the windshield
60-70% on the windshiled.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jimmm » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:44 pm

I just had all my tint removed and I love it. I can see better at night, I like being seen driving my car, I like seeing my beautiful interior from the outside, and my a/c is just as cool as it was before. My car was orginally from Mobile, Alabama and used in south Florida where I'm sure the tint was very helpful, but here in north Alabama the factory tint is good enough for me. Nevertheless, good luck with your darker tint.

2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mig0s » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:02 pm

In my old Accord 99 I had 5% on my back and rear windows and 20% on my front windows, just for the cops to see a difference. But it turned out to be nice even though 5% is REALLY dark at night. I like when the windows are mad dark so when I drive by, people turn their heads and are like "Oh dayum who's driving that Solara?" and when they look at me they can only see the shadow: "That's sooo mysteriousss" lol hhahaha

Plus, you get lots of privacy with your windows tinted at 5%. I can touch my girl's boobies during traffic :)
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:54 pm

^LOL this muhfukka

I have 18% (random weird number, but the closest to 20% they had), and 5 in the back. The back is way too dark at night but with the fronts, I like it because during daytime, you look more like a silhouette, and at night, virtually invisible. When I was considering tints, one of the veterans here advised me not to go TOO dark because our cars are black, but since the SLE has that light tan interior, it made things a little better. I don't see a need to go any darker than 20 IMO
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DSM_Lara » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:04 pm

I'm 15% all around besides my windshield. Since my interior is black that does help allot and at night everything is a little visible to see what's outside and what you’re backing into. For the windshield some people her did 35%. Mines are not tinted yet but, I’m thinking I’ll do that.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:08 pm

mig0s wrote:Plus, you get lots of privacy with your windows tinted at 5%. I can touch my girl's boobies during traffic :)

ill do that no matter what even if i had no tints lol

but yeah i have 5% all around and the two front windows i have 15%, im planning on doing a double layer of limo in the back( i know, might as well spray paint my windows black lol) and i wanna do 5% in the front and 35% on the windshield!
:D
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:59 am

ToyoSolV6 wrote:
mig0s wrote:Plus, you get lots of privacy with your windows tinted at 5%. I can touch my girl's boobies during traffic :)

ill do that no matter what even if i had no tints lol

but yeah i have 5% all around and the two front windows i have 15%, im planning on doing a double layer of limo in the back( i know, might as well spray paint my windows black lol) and i wanna do 5% in the front and 35% on the windshield!
:D

Why would you possibly need darker than 5%?? lol

I hate how in the yukons i cant even see out the back windows at night, and depending on the lighting not the front 2 either, but i typically have the windows down anyways. So I think ill TRY to get 10% if possible if i tint the windshield, its got light tint now anyways, so im assuming it will balance out to be around 5-8% with the tint doubled up.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:03 am

I just got back from the tint place, they charged us a total of 170 to get the Pathfinder's front windows tinted (15%) and for all my windows to be tinted (15% over my 32% = 5%). My dad is going back tomorrow to get his Yukon's driver window tint replaced (he hit it multiple times with seatbelt, and it nicked it up), and that will only be 30 bucks. He has a lifetime warranty on the tint, I think he uses SunTek tint? Atleast thats the shirt his son was wearing. There was a little bit of haze on my passenger window and he wants me to come back in the morning to take a look at it when my dad comes in with the Yukon.
I am considering putting 50% on my front windshield.. but am unsure due to cops (barely even notice) and the fact that every time I drive to Virginia to see my girlfriend it will be all night, not all day (15 hours).

Just a side note on the pics, the iPhone 4 now automatically does HDR pics, and also gives you the normal pic. I will show the original pic and HDR of the Pathfinder, but all the Solara ones are the HDR the iPhone did.

2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:18 pm

The tints look great on both your Solara and the Pathfinder. I like it!
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:21 pm

Well I found out yesterday the cops dont care about the tint. I was driving to Tampa and got pulled over by a state trooper for 74 in a 65. I couldn't even roll down the windows for when he came up because its new tint... had to open the door, I'm surprised he never mentioned anything about the tint.

$130 + 3 points
Traffic school is $35 and takes away all 3 points.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:06 am

^^My dad got a ticket for a 20% tint on his front side windows on his Accord, the officer tested 17% with his scanner (car windows come from the factory with ~97% tint); he had to go to court and the judge dismissed his case after my dad removed the tints.

My Solara had 20% tints all around (except front windshield) before, but I removed the front ones because of my dad's incident.

If I ever decide to get my car re-tinted again, I would definitely choose a lighter tint.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Hammer1080p » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:06 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:Well I found out yesterday the cops dont care about the tint. I was driving to Tampa and got pulled over by a state trooper for 74 in a 65. I couldn't even roll down the windows for when he came up because its new tint... had to open the door, I'm surprised he never mentioned anything about the tint.

$130 + 3 points

hey man, i read this thread a little late, but i just got my windows tinted 5% all around, its beautiful, but not gonna lie, its really hard to see my mirrors. I was faced with the same situation as u about rolling down the windows..i just came back from the states, n had to open my door at the boarder crossing, it was kinda embarressing....i was gonna snap some pictures n post em, but u made a good choice tho!
Adam Hammer
Niagara Falls, Canada
Hammer1080p
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby corlon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:11 pm

most states have exemptions for tint. like a medical exemption. you can go to walmart's eye center and tell them the sun gives you headaches and get a prescription for window tint. in minneosta it must state the percent of tint anid have a 2 year expiration date. when you get pulled over just show them the slip and that its. well as far as the tint goes.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:29 am

Hammer1080p wrote:
wkbrdr91 wrote:Well I found out yesterday the cops dont care about the tint. I was driving to Tampa and got pulled over by a state trooper for 74 in a 65. I couldn't even roll down the windows for when he came up because its new tint... had to open the door, I'm surprised he never mentioned anything about the tint.

$130 + 3 points

hey man, i read this thread a little late, but i just got my windows tinted 5% all around, its beautiful, but not gonna lie, its really hard to see my mirrors. I was faced with the same situation as u about rolling down the windows..i just came back from the states, n had to open my door at the boarder crossing, it was kinda embarressing....i was gonna snap some pictures n post em, but u made a good choice tho!

I don't think its a big deal, maybe you just need to get used to it. My old yukon had 5% all around, and a couple years ago I used to drive this car (Cadillac Eldorado) that my dad bought as a gift for my grandpa to work, just to drive a different car (till we shipped it up to him for christmas), and it had tinted windows (i forget how dark) but all the mirrors were also tinted, so I am used to that. All you need to really see (while driving when you cant open your door) is the car headlights.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5