[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Removing headlights?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Removing headlights?

Removing headlights?

Postby NewShockerGuy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:07 am

I am going to do a hid install on my fiances 07' solara. Do I have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights?

If I do is there a how to here or someone that has done it? I just want to allocate the correct amount of time to do so so that it doesn't take all day..lol

Plan on fixing the squirel spotters as well since it will be that much more amplified with hids.

Thanks,
-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Removing headlights?

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:10 am

if you're putting HID's in the headlights you don't need to remove anything. the whole installation took me about 15 min to do.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DriDed » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:13 am

^^Do you guys wear gloves while handling the bulbs? I hear they burn while operating if they have any oil on it.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:05 am

if your fingers manage to touch the bulbs then they wont work anymore. oil on your fingers kills them.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:25 am

yeah.. never touch the bulbs with your fingers, HIDs or not. It's like changing your basic lightbulb but there's a ballast connected to it. You just need to find a place to stick em or zip-tie them up to.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NewShockerGuy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:26 pm

yaddadaimsayin wrote:if you're putting HID's in the headlights you don't need to remove anything. the whole installation took me about 15 min to do.

I am going to address the squirell spotters as well since I just plugged in the HIDS and the square above the cut off is amplified. Almost blinding.
Are there bolts just on the top of are they are on teh bottom of the housing as well to remove the entire headlight assembly from the car.

Thanks,
-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 am

GzNutz wrote:
pooorboi wrote:request a diy to take out the headlights.
I just bought new headlights but dont know how to replace them.
I took out all the screws on top, but when i try to pull it out, it feels like it's still caught.

You have to pull the bumper off to expose one screw on the bottom side of the headlight that needs to be removed. To pull the bumper take out the screws on the top then the two screws in each wheel well, then the rest of the screws along the bottom.

^^Took this from the diy request thread.
The headlights have a screw on the lower portion of the outside/corner, in addition to the push plugs and visible screws.
For the bumper:
The two wheel well screws are hidden by the wheel well plastic liners. They run vertically connecting the bumper to the body.
You shouldn't have to remove your wheels, just turn your wheels in on the side you're working with and pull the plastic away from the well.

Hope this helps.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NewShockerGuy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:34 am

I just did this mod to my girls solara and the cut off line is not clean at all ... The squirell spotters are there plus the cut off isn't great in my opinion... Here's a crappy picture... I pushed down the squirell spotter and then used jbweld on the top to cover the line that was left... you can't see the line but I am guessing that pushing it done is not the same as lifting the spotter and putting soda can there then pushing it back down.. I will also check to see if the bulbs aren't seated correctly but this is kinda of disappointing..lol

Thanks,

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DriDed » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:18 am

NewShockerGuy wrote:

Thanks,

-Nigel

You can probably kill vampires and blind old people drivers with those headlights.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby poland » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:29 am

i had same issue with this squirell spotters. Here is link to the polish toyota forum with phothos of my solution:

http://forum.toyotaklub.org.pl/index.php?topic=22380.90

description is simple :) I put balasts under lights. To get nice cut-off line i bend little plate inside lights (you can see it on one of the photos) and put there silicone to form ideal line. If you would like to get more info send pm to me :)
poland
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NewShockerGuy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:54 am

poland wrote:i had same issue with this squirell spotters. Here is link to the polish toyota forum with phothos of my solution:

http://forum.toyotaklub.org.pl/index.php?topic=22380.90

description is simple :) I put balasts under lights. To get nice cut-off line i bend little plate inside lights (you can see it on one of the photos) and put there silicone to form ideal line. If you would like to get more info send pm to me :)

Looks like you have to be a member to view anythign on the site :-(

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby poland » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:14 pm

ok - so quick description out of my side :)

quick look on standard solara lights :)

photo of standard bulb:

photo of philips h11 hid light

mounting of hid "bulb"

and test connection :)

as you can see on the photo - i have the same issue with squireel spotter

I have mounted balasts just under lights (of course i've protected balasts from moisture - using ducktape :) ) there is a plenty of room and it is nice hidden.

to remove squireel I bent plate inside lights - but despite of that i still have some kind of "glow" over the cutoff line

as you can see on photo bellow to final remove "glow" i used (high temp proof) silicon to fill space between bent plate and "fix plate" (hard to explain :) )

and the final is... :

perfect cutoff line :)
poland
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NewShockerGuy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:34 pm

Awesome! The last picture is what I am looking for!!

Will post pics once I do this again!

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5