[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Double Din Installtion Kit. Best fit, color, etc.
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Double Din Installtion Kit. Best fit, color, etc.

Re: Double Din Installtion Kit. Best fit, color, etc.

Postby SoSleek » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:27 am

wkbrdr91 wrote:I wish i had that much money to drop on a head unit lol. Sleek, could you help me pick out a lower cost one? Doesnt need to be GPS, I really dont care, especially since I JUST got a new TomTom with unlimited live traffic and map updates. Heres the one im looking at, caught my attention cause it does Pandora right on the screen (if you plug your iphone into it)

[url]
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVHP43/ ... l?tp=20217[/url]

That looks like a very nice head unit for the money. It has 4v preouts as well which would give you a much cleaner signal to any amps that might be hooked up to it...I would highly recommend a 4 channel amp to power your speakers, down the road. The 14w RMS is pretty low. Are you running stock or aftermarket speakers?
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 am

Aotoyota wrote:will try and dig through old pics and see what i come up with.

Thanks!
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:38 am

SoSleek wrote:
wkbrdr91 wrote:I wish i had that much money to drop on a head unit lol. Sleek, could you help me pick out a lower cost one? Doesnt need to be GPS, I really dont care, especially since I JUST got a new TomTom with unlimited live traffic and map updates. Heres the one im looking at, caught my attention cause it does Pandora right on the screen (if you plug your iphone into it)

[url]

That looks like a very nice head unit for the money. It has 4v preouts as well which would give you a much cleaner signal to any amps that might be hooked up to it...I would highly recommend a 4 channel amp to power your speakers, down the road. The 14w RMS is pretty low. Are you running stock or aftermarket speakers?

Stock (non-JBL) speakers. Is there another head unit youd recommend? I want the Pioneer brand as it lets you integrate iPhone GPS applications to use the headunit as a GPS without it actually having GPS in it (saving you 500 dollars)

JVC also does this. I prefer to buy from crutchfield as it comes with great instructions and free installation tools. But if you have one you really recommend somewhere else thats great too! I want my iPhone to be able to hook up to it to play video and music. Something else that drawed me to the Pioneer is that it does Pandora on the screen when your iPhone is hooked up.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:07 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:
SoSleek wrote:

[url]

Stock (non-JBL) speakers. Is there another head unit youd recommend? I want the Pioneer brand as it lets you integrate iPhone GPS applications to use the headunit as a GPS without it actually having GPS in it (saving you 500 dollars)

JVC also does this. I prefer to buy from crutchfield as it comes with great instructions and free installation tools. But if you have one you really recommend somewhere else that's great too! I want my iPhone to be able to hook up to it to play video and music. Something else that drawed me to the Pioneer is that it does Pandora on the screen when your iPhone is hooked up.

Sounds like this one has everything you want. I am not too familiar with all the iPhone/iPod compatibility functions because I do not use those. When it comes to head units Pioneer and Alpine are my "go-to" brands. Alpine used to be at the top of my list, but Pioneer has really been stepping up. Many of there head units are offering 4v preouts which is very important to me. Probably one of the first features I look for. Alpine is moving in the opposite direction. They have been downgrading all of their top of the line units to 2v preouts. Still good, but not as clean as pioneers 4v signal. The cleaner the signal going in to the amp, the more you can amplify that signal without distortion.

As for the iPod functions...most will have cables available to connect your iPod, or bluetooth to wirelessly stream music. When it comes to streaming the GPS turn by turn directions I can't help you. I think GPS units are tacky. Ugly hanging from your mirror, or stuck on the window. Exposed to theifs. A pain to hide each time you get in and out of the car. When I choose a head unit, I choose one that will do everything I need it to do and more. Then I do not have the need for other devices fumbling around my dash, sitting in my cupholder, hanging from my window, etc. Also saves in extra conversion cables, GPS units, bluetooth dongles, HD/XM tuners, etc...and everything is at the touch of a button.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:29 pm

SoSleek wrote:
wkbrdr91 wrote:
SoSleek wrote:

[url]

JVC also does this. I prefer to buy from crutchfield as it comes with great instructions and free installation tools. But if you have one you really recommend somewhere else that's great too! I want my iPhone to be able to hook up to it to play video and music. Something else that drawed me to the Pioneer is that it does Pandora on the screen when your iPhone is hooked up.

Sounds like this one has everything you want. I am not too familiar with all the iPhone/iPod compatibility functions because I do not use those. When it comes to head units Pioneer and Alpine are my "go-to" brands. Alpine used to be at the top of my list, but Pioneer has really been stepping up. Many of there head units are offering 4v preouts which is very important to me. Probably one of the first features I look for. Alpine is moving in the opposite direction. They have been downgrading all of their top of the line units to 2v preouts. Still good, but not as clean as pioneers 4v signal. The cleaner the signal going in to the amp, the more you can amplify that signal without distortion.

As for the iPod functions...most will have cables available to connect your iPod, or bluetooth to wirelessly stream music. When it comes to streaming the GPS turn by turn directions I can't help you. I think GPS units are tacky. Ugly hanging from your mirror, or stuck on the window. Exposed to theifs. A pain to hide each time you get in and out of the car. When I choose a head unit, I choose one that will do everything I need it to do and more. Then I do not have the need for other devices fumbling around my dash, sitting in my cupholder, hanging from my window, etc. Also saves in extra conversion cables, GPS units, bluetooth dongles, HD/XM tuners, etc...and everything is at the touch of a button.

I think I just found why the RMS seems low, they use a new rating system. Let me know if I should avoid this headunit due to this.

CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the AVH-P4300DVD are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs are as follows:

CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 am

The CEA2006 standards were published in 2003. Every reputable manufacturer has rated their head units to comply with these written standards, ever since the CEA2006 was published...or shortly after . 14w is not enough power to push a decent set of coaxials, let alone some nice components...but it should power your stock speakers, no prob. I would highly recommend amping any speakers you may add in the future. Don't let this stop you from buying the head unit though. Pioneer makes great head units, and this one looks to be no exception.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 pm

@ sosleek,.

I dont think its that huge of a difference between 2v vs 4v. mainly its to
keep the gains low on an amplifier.

Like you said the cleaner the signal the better. I believe Alpine went against the industry and put out the 2v preout
but also a better signal to noise ratio, which is what really counts. Typically more voltage
is better from all the marketing guys and everyone has embraced the idea for the past twenty years.

Alpine puts out on their website that the INA-W900BT's DVD outputs 105db of S/N with a 2v preout.
The pioneer mentioned above is 96dB despite the 4v preout.

6dB is pretty significant. with more cleaner signal. thoughts?

pics soon. been busy with work and school!
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:33 am

Aotoyota wrote:@ sosleek,.

I dont think its that huge of a difference between 2v vs 4v. mainly its to
keep the gains low on an amplifier.

Like you said the cleaner the signal the better. I believe Alpine went against the industry and put out the 2v preout
but also a better signal to noise ratio, which is what really counts. Typically more voltage
is better from all the marketing guys and everyone has embraced the idea for the past twenty years.

Alpine puts out on their website that the INA-W900BT's DVD outputs 105db of S/N with a 2v preout.
The pioneer mentioned above is 96dB despite the 4v preout.

6dB is pretty significant. with more cleaner signal. thoughts?

pics soon. been busy with work and school!

I would think the signal/noise would be determined by the install. Noise is caused by several different effects. The noise caused by the Electronic device can vary based on the quality of the manufacturing and semiconductors used. There are also external causes that introduce noise in the signal (cross-talk, electromagnetic interference, etc.) So even though the signal coming out of the Alpine may be cleaner, it may be affected greater by any externally introduced noise because of it's lower 2v signal. There are a lot of factors that play in, but you are right, the difference between 4v over 2v in your standard system will not provide a deal breaking difference. That's exactly why I ended up with an Alpine (W900BT) :)
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Sleek.. what would I need to do to get the video to be able to play while in motion? I want music videos/movies to be able to play off my iPhone while on long drives for passengers to enjoy.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:41 am

THIS should do it...
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Thanks!
Which kit are you going with sleek?
I am now going to order that headunit for 110 dollars less somewhere else, the kit they sell is the Metra kit... my car has been garage kept so I wonder if it will be ok to use then?
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:14 am

I think I will also be going with the Metra very soon. You should let me know after you get yours, as it might be a couple months before I order mine. I am still recovering from buying a $1000 head unit, lol.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:26 am

SoSleek wrote:I think I will also be going with the Metra very soon. You should let me know after you get yours, as it might be a couple months before I order mine. I am still recovering from buying a $1000 head unit, lol.

Ya I'm trying not to blow through all my scholarship money on my car myself, so that's why its not been ordered, I feel guilty. But I want to thank everyone on here for paying the taxes that funds these new mods :lol:

Next year I am on my own completely though... So ill be pulling loans most likely.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:50 am

Aww c'mon....BITE THE BULLET! :D
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DV8 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:59 pm

SoSleek wrote:Aww c'mon....BITE THE BULLET! :D

Agreed! That deck is a blast to play around with 8)

Couple thoughts after a year of using it (4200 model) :

- Loading more than 8Gb off either the USB or SD card slot will significantly increase load times, every time the head unit is turned on.
- Customizing the background image can be tricky to find proper dimensions.
- Losing steering wheel controls gets old, plan on either the Axxess or PAC SWI-PS

Outside of those few things... No Regrets here!
DV8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5