[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TRD SPRINGS
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

TRD SPRINGS

TRD SPRINGS

Postby CmeFLY » Sat May 07, 2011 11:04 am

so i just pulled the trigger to buy a set of trd springs from a fellow member. and now im in confusion if i should get a new set of struts. i mean i have a 06 sle but im not sure if struts are needed for trd springs. checked online for a set of springs. saw a nice deal on advance auto parts website. 4 kyb gas struts came to be $460ish and after the 25% off they have all 4 came to be 361$. but that deal expires on the 9th so if anyone can help me with some info pleasee pleasee do so =]
[2006 3.3 SLE]---[2 12' Kenwood subs]---[ECLIPSE DOUBLEDIN]---[INJEN SRI]---[TRD RSB/ FSB/ SPRINGS COMING SOON]---[15% tint front 5% tint rear]---[8000k top / 3000k bottom]
CmeFLY
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: TRD SPRINGS

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Sat May 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Most of our members here would probably suggest picking up a new set of struts. I have an SLE lowered on TRD and the ride is very bumpy. However, word is that even with stiffer struts, the ride will still be uncomfortable compared to stock. There are times when I hit bumps and I feel like I'm temporarily suspended in mid-air. A stiffer setup will just make you feel the bumps in a more 'oomf' way (i don't know how to describe it, and this is how it's been explained to me). I've wrestled with this predicament for some time now, because I've grown more or less accustomed to the ride, and I don't know whether or not it's worth it to spend that much if your ride is still going to be uncomfortable.

I'm just hoping this setup will last me long enough until I can get a set of nice coilovers.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DriDed » Sat May 07, 2011 2:12 pm

I don't know how coilovers are gonna make the ride any more comfortable than lowering spring/ strut setup.

I have read that if you plan on lowering the car 2" or more with lowering springs, then stiffer struts is a must.

Check out this ebay link, a set of 4 KYB shocks for your Solara costs $430+ with shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-06-TOYOTA-Camry-KYB-GR-2-Shocks-Struts-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a2004Q7cMakeQ3aToyotaQ7cModelQ3aSolaraQQhashZitem53e6495cb1QQitemZ360345853105QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby CmeFLY » Sun May 08, 2011 3:17 pm

might get struts in about like 3-4 months now. save up some money. also. yaddada. lol u didnt mention if ur springs are setup with ur stock struts or did u buy something aftermarket with them?
[2006 3.3 SLE]---[2 12' Kenwood subs]---[ECLIPSE DOUBLEDIN]---[INJEN SRI]---[TRD RSB/ FSB/ SPRINGS COMING SOON]---[15% tint front 5% tint rear]---[8000k top / 3000k bottom]
CmeFLY
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon May 09, 2011 9:39 am

nope they're stock sle struts
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:20 pm

If you want a good compromise, SE Sport struts are a bit stiffer than the SE / SLE but not uncomfortable (and they solve the 'floating' issue as well when going over bumps). I had them stock, but a few members acquired them for their SEs / SLEs for use with TRD / Eibach springs and had good results. Check for members with SE Sports who did coil-over swaps, or check eBay and you should be able to find a good deal on a set as well.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Aotoyota » Tue May 10, 2011 10:59 pm

I have a set of the SE sport shocks kickin around. hit me up if you're interested.

Personally. I did the TRD +KYB combo. I believe I was the first one here to do it too.
Car rides great no problems at all, but from what everyone says, the shocks are shared
with the 2003 camry? ( if i remember correctly) and if I knew that I would have gotten
some tokicos or konis instead.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gnegroni » Tue May 31, 2011 7:39 am

Aotoyota wrote:I have a set of the SE sport shocks kickin around. hit me up if you're interested.

Personally. I did the TRD +KYB combo. I believe I was the first one here to do it too.
Car rides great no problems at all, but from what everyone says, the shocks are shared
with the 2003 camry? ( if i remember correctly) and if I knew that I would have gotten

Why Tokicos or Konis instead?
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Aotoyota » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:59 pm

I have friends with the eibach + koni/tokico combo
and really love their ride. its very controlled and not very oem.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby parkc96 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Aotoyota wrote:I have friends with the eibach + koni/tokico combo
and really love their ride. its very controlled and not very oem.

thats exactly what im planning on getting for my camry

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:42 am

I did a quick search on ebay but couldn't find any Tokico or Konis compatible with the Gen2 (or the Gen5 Camry, which should have the same setup), only Gen1. Anyone else have any luck?
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Aotoyota wrote:I have a set of the SE sport shocks kickin around. hit me up if you're interested.

AO, do you know anyone who actually did the swap on a gen 2 solara using camry parts?
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GzNutz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:28 pm

This would be much easier if a single company made co's for both vehicles so we could just compare the product numbers. If a company actually makes coils for the camry they don't list one for the lara. And the only coil overs produced for the solara by tein don't list an application for the camry. Go figure....
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5