[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Class 2 Trailer Hitch on Gen 2 Solara SE Sport? NEW BOAT!
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Class 2 Trailer Hitch on Gen 2 Solara SE Sport? NEW BOAT!

Re: Class 2 Trailer Hitch on Gen 2 Solara SE Sport? NEW BOAT

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:37 am

Jumping the wakes of yachts and wakeboarding boats are so much fun... we used to take my uncles 30 foot Pro Line out (had 3 250 HP engines) and jump wakes with that.

Hows the Solara do with pulling it out of the water? Did you alter your suspension at all to accommodate the boat?

My goal is to have one of these to tow behind my Solara in a few years:

2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:02 am

I cant even tell im pulling anything. the trailer and boat probably only weigh about 800-900 lbs total. Is that seadoo about 18' or so? that, you may be able to feel a little more. I bet its more than double the weight.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 am

SoSleek wrote:I cant even tell im pulling anything. the trailer and boat probably only weigh about 800-900 lbs total. Is that seadoo about 18' or so? that, you may be able to feel a little more. I bet its more than double the weight.

No its a 15 footer with a 7 foot beam that does 60 MPH and seats 4 weighing in at 1,400 pounds. I have seen a guy that launches at the same place my mom does that tows one of these with his Solara convertible and it does fine. Though I want to get an air spring kit if I do that.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:32 pm

I was saying that the weight of mine is between 800 and 900 lbs and that yours is probably double that weight. Our cars are rated to tow up to 3500 lbs so you would be fine. I was just trying to explain that mine is not that heavy and can hardly tell its behind my car, but the seadoo will be more noticeable as it is almost double the weight.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:25 pm

SoSleek wrote:I was saying that the weight of mine is between 800 and 900 lbs and that yours is probably double that weight. Our cars are rated to tow up to 3500 lbs so you would be fine. I was just trying to explain that mine is not that heavy and can hardly tell its behind my car, but the seadoo will be more noticeable as it is almost double the weight.

I didnt realize it could tow that much. I so badly wish I could jump on this 20 foot Seadoo Speedster. Twin supercharged engines making 430 horsepower with wakeboarding tower and only 30 hours on it....

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/2477951293.html
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Max tongue weight is 350 lbs. That it also very important to look into.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:32 pm

I am looking at buying a sailboat (w/trailer)... do you have lowering springs on your Solara? I was looking at the same hitch as well. Also did you install an automatic transmission cooler?
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Sun May 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Yes I towed with the TRD Lowering springs. With the load i was towing it was no issue. No Transmission Cooler.

BTW, if you guys are wondering why I have been absent on SolaraGuy for that past few months it is because of this...My Boat Build. Check out my Build Thread at PWCToday!!!
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 pm

So I know a few showed interest in my boat project in this thread. I wanted to drop in a give a update on this project. It has come quite a ways in the past few months.

This is how she currently sits!

Toyota Blizzard Pearl paint.

The bilge (engine compartment). Remember, this is ALL custom. None of this was here before, just a universal fuel tank sat in here before. This is a Seadoo Rotax 800cc engine. 110hp for a 650lbs boat. :) With a few bolt on mods, 135 is easily achievable. If I decide to do a big bore kit later on I would be looking at 175+hp!

This pic is a little older but shows the boat behind my new 2007 Solara. Now you can see why I chose Toyota Blizzard Pearl paint for my boat! :)

Here is a video! This was taken on the break in run. It has a freshly rebuilt motor so we were keeping the throttle variable and short full throttle burts. Keep in mind it was only 40 degrees outside, haha. We hit 45mph on GPS, but we still have a few adjustments to make and it should easily hit 50mph.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Also, here is a photo of all the fiberglass work I did in the engine compartment area, before I installed the motor, tank, electronics, etc.

And here is the final rendering of what it will look like this coming spring, with the wake tower, new graphics, swim platform, new interior, etc.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Looks like a fun little toy! Very jealous, have fun and keep the updates coming!
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks man. I only got to drive it three times. It was so fun, but it was also 40º outside which made it kinda hard to enjoy, haha. Next summer will be a blast, and by then it should look like my rendering!! I'l definitely keep you guys up to date with this project as it progresses.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:01 pm

SoSleek wrote:Thanks man. I only got to drive it three times. It was so fun, but it was also 40º outside which made it kinda hard to enjoy, haha. Next summer will be a blast, and by then it should look like my rendering!! I'l definitely keep you guys up to date with this project as it progresses.

I am really excited to see it with a wakeboarding tower :)
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5