[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2008 Gen 2.5 Convertible TRD Suspension updates?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

2008 Gen 2.5 Convertible TRD Suspension updates?

2008 Gen 2.5 Convertible TRD Suspension updates?

Postby jomo795 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:59 pm

I wanted to get some input on tightening up the suspension on my gen 2.5 2008 convertible SLE. Will the TRD Strut Tower Brace Front Kit be enough to get the body roll out? I also see there is a rear sway bar upgrade and lowering springs. Will any of these help, and if I do one at a time, what order would you recommend I do them in?

Any and all other suggestion would be really cool and much appreciated. For reference, the car is completely stock.
2008 Solara SLE Covertible, blizzard white pearl with tan interior and tan top. TRD FSTB, RSB, and exhaust.
jomo795
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2008 Gen 2.5 Convertible TRD Suspension updates?

Postby ThatVietGuy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Sway bar by itself is probably the better choice if you're on a budget.

If you got the money, do the springs and the sway bar.

The front strut tower bar, I can't speak to since on the Gen 1 and 1.5 it didn't actually do much better than stock. I dunno about the Gen 2.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby parkc96 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:08 pm

ThatVietGuy wrote:Sway bar by itself is probably the better choice if you're on a budget.

If you got the money, do the springs and the sway bar.

The front strut tower bar, I can't speak to since on the Gen 1 and 1.5 it didn't actually do much better than stock. I dunno about the Gen 2.

:agree: definatly do the sway bar first if your trying to tighten the suspension and make it have less body roll, then springs then strut bar.

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:03 am

i think the front strut tower brace has more of a noticable effect on convertibles than the coupes
thats what all the gen 2 converts owners say

but def rear sway is probably best and then maybe the strut tower brace next
also i think those are much easier to install and dont effect the ride quality as much
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby GzNutz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:39 am

kingkakyle wrote:i think the front strut tower brace has more of a noticable effect on convertibles than the coupes

but def rear sway is probably best and then maybe the strut tower brace next
also i think those are much easier to install and dont effect the ride quality as much

^x2
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1gSE » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:43 am

kingkakyle wrote:i think the front strut tower brace has more of a noticable effect on convertibles than the coupes

I haven't driven vert, but this makes sense considering the lack of a solid roof. Jomo, the strut tower brace reduces chassis flex. Like everyone else said, go with the sway bar and springs
Last edited by 1gSE on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby jomo795 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks folks. I'll start with the sway bar and see how that does. I'll let you all know. I am glad I asked!
2008 Solara SLE Covertible, blizzard white pearl with tan interior and tan top. TRD FSTB, RSB, and exhaust.
jomo795
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5