[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Rough idle then stall...please help
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Rough idle then stall...please help

Rough idle then stall...please help

Postby GzNutz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:55 pm

I recently cleaned the air filter on my cp-e intake about a week ago. Car ran great up until yesterday. Now it won't hold idle and eventually dies out. The only codes being thrown I believe are the p0171 and 4 for the down stream o2 sensors reading lean. I can drive the car around so long as I don't come to a complete stop or let the rpms drop below 1000. Acceleration is fine and has no hiccups. Car's exhaust seems to cut out pretty funny when decelerating in gear. I checked all my hoses and they are intact and sealed tight. I then pulled the IAC no.2 from the left side of the intake manifold/surge tank and the diaphram seems to be functioning properly/holds vacuum. I then replaced the vsv valve for IAC no.2 but still the same results. I haven't gotten gas recently so I don't think that would be issue and since the car's not leaning out at higher rpms/load I'm pretty sure the fuel delivery is not blocked.

If anyone can offer some advice I'm all ears. The only thing out of the ordinary under the hood visibly seems to be some crust from coolant on top of my radiator fan shroud under the upper coolant hose and level in the reservoir looks a little low. I'm heading out right now to pick up some coolant so hopefully that will do the trick, but I fail to see how coolant and idle would be related.

Thanks for your time.

3mz-fe
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Rough idle then stall...please help

Postby GzNutz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Here's a vid to show the rpms at idle. The only time I press the accelerator is when the rpms jump up to or above 1,200.

GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ACProductions » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Now....I don't mean to sound insulting but 2 questions

1. How did you clean the filter (Exactly what you did please)

and

2. You did take the filter OFF the car right?

Unless your car is tuned, it shouldn't really run lean randomly. I would double check the MAFS and clean it up with some MAFS Cleaners. Like Throttle Body cleaner cept safe to use on MAFS
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GzNutz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:18 pm

I removed the filter from the intake, sprayed with k&n cleaner. Let dry. Then used the supplied k&n filter oil sparingly. Let the filter sit overnight then reinstalled in the morning. I was thinking maybe some extra oil on the filter may have coated the maf so I pulled that out and cleaned that too with throttle body/maf cleaner. After that didn't work is when I was thinking the vsv switch was possibly screwed up from extra oil but replacing that didn't work either.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GzNutz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Oh, and I've tried disconnecting the battery for half hours and letting the car try to relearn the idle.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ACProductions » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Hrmmmmm.

Hows the throttle plate looking? Gunky or clean?
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GzNutz » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:42 am

It's pretty clean.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ACProductions » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:36 am

This is a long shot but try cleaning out the MAF connector if thats dirty. Otherwise I'd pull the front bank H02S and see what it looks like
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GzNutz » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Just got home from work and tried starting the car again. It started great but once the engine warmed up the rough idle came back and when it stalled I could hear an electrical humming under the hood. It was a high pitch tone similar to the humming of a hid ballast. I was able to track it down to the smaller black box attached to the throttle body. Its listed in the pdf's as throttle position sensor and actuator. I will probably try to remove that if I can find a diagram of it. The high pitch humming ceased when it was unplugged.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ACProductions » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Remind me of something here. Are the 3mz's fly by wire?
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby CmeFLY » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:57 pm

im sorry i have no idea what it is. but is it normal if when i start my car it idles at like 1000-1200 rpm?
[2006 3.3 SLE]---[2 12' Kenwood subs]---[ECLIPSE DOUBLEDIN]---[INJEN SRI]---[TRD RSB/ FSB/ SPRINGS COMING SOON]---[15% tint front 5% tint rear]---[8000k top / 3000k bottom]
CmeFLY
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ACProductions » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:49 pm

CmeFLY wrote:im sorry i have no idea what it is. but is it normal if when i start my car it idles at like 1000-1200 rpm?

If its a cold start then yeah, thats normal. It's how the engine warms up.

If it's a hot start then sounds like you might just have an vac leak
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GzNutz » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:56 pm

ACProductions wrote:Remind me of something here. Are the 3mz's fly by wire?

Yes they are. I actually think my problem might be an issue with the tps wiring at the car's ecu. My car is running a split second/urd maf-sc which requires input from the tps and tach. I'll be checking my soldering at ecu pin E8-21 tomorrow. I'm hoping to find a damaged connection.

CmeFLY wrote:im sorry i have no idea what it is. but is it normal if when i start my car it idles at like 1000-1200 rpm?

Yes that's normal. Your car will idle high to warm up the engine quicker. Then once at normal operating temp the idle should drop to around 7-800. My car is idling rediculously low right now, which is why it keeps sputtering out.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GzNutz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Finally had a day off from work so I checked the tps voltage at the cars ecu and it appears to be accurate. Idle was still really rough. I tossed the old spectre filter and picked up a new k&n along with some more maf/electronics cleaner and tb cleaner. I completely removed the CPe intake and cleaned the throttle valve. I took another look at the maf and found it a little hazy so I sprayed it again a couple times and this time and went over it lightly with a tooth brush. I reinstalled the intake, new filter, hoses and maf. I unhooked the battery for a half hour and then reconnected it.

I started the car and it idled quite well. I let the car idle for a half hour to relearn the clean set up and then took it for a pretty long drive. To my surprise the idle is once again perfect.

ACProductions wrote:This is a long shot but try cleaning out the MAF connector if thats dirty. Otherwise I'd pull the front bank H02S and see what it looks like

Thanks AC for the help. Your post made me go back and recheck the maf which I'm thinking I didn't clean well enough the first time through.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GzNutz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 pm

New issue.... car drives great but a shift to neutral after a hard pull and the engine stalls. The rpms also do a weird flutter with hard engine braking. Maybe something to do with IAC no.2 or back pressure. Any ideas? At least she runs.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5