[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Blacking out the Solara
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Blacking out the Solara

Re: Blacking out the Solara

Postby parkc96 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:34 pm

ive seen a couple cars in my school parking lot with tinted headlights and one looked like the tint was melted, never seen fogs tinted, just what ive seen though idk about anyone else

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:58 pm

I've got my fogs tinted and have had no issue with hids melting the vinyl.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:13 pm

GzNutz wrote:I've got my fogs tinted and have had no issue with hids melting the vinyl.

My tint guy said the fogs are fine, but the normal headlights with projectors are the problem.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:18 am

The projector lamps are pretty heat intense, I learned that first hand after a bodyshop repair when Toyota shipped cheapened OEM plastic housings--burned, cracked and dried the plastic lens cover from the inside out. (Consider yourself especially forewarned when buying non-OEM replacements.) I know for a fact 3M makes a high temp formulated film but I DON'T know what brand they sell it under, nor if it will adhere, nor what thickness or colors they offer for that material. I work for a company that 3M considers as a competitor so they pretty much hang up on me, however you can try. Try their Energy & Advanced Materials Division (800)367-8905 (real phone#, I wouldn't prank ya with a midget sex line so early on a Monday dawg, trust me! :P )
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:40 am

Black Bob wrote:The projector lamps are pretty heat intense, I learned that first hand after a bodyshop repair when Toyota shipped cheapened OEM plastic housings--burned, cracked and dried the plastic lens cover from the inside out. (Consider yourself especially forewarned when buying non-OEM replacements.) I know for a fact 3M makes a high temp formulated film but I DON'T know what brand they sell it under, nor if it will adhere, nor what thickness or colors they offer for that material. I work for a company that 3M considers as a competitor so they pretty much hang up on me, however you can try. Try their Energy & Advanced Materials Division (800)367-8905 (real phone#, I wouldn't prank ya with a midget sex line so early on a Monday dawg, trust me! :P )

Thanks I will be giving them a call :)
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40 pm

That is strange. I've never wrapped a projector headlight with tinted film before, so I couldn't tell you for sure if the heat would be an issue or not. I have however wrapped all kinds of headlights (projectors included) in 3M CLEAR film. I've never had an issue at all with melting. Assuming that the material is the same...only tinted, it should work just fine. Either way, I think if you were able to get the lights open to back them out, that'd look awesome too.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Hammer1080p » Sun May 06, 2012 9:15 pm

looks dirrty boss.. did the exact same with my grill, emblem, and hood lip... i shaved the solara, se, and toyota from the back and kept the emblem silver.. just recently(friday) i took the front parts to a body shop to get painted...i loved the....murdered out look;) , but i opted for red, i hope it doesnt look to 'ricey' looks good on ur end...
Adam Hammer
Niagara Falls, Canada
Hammer1080p
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5