[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Blacking out the Solara
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Blacking out the Solara

Blacking out the Solara

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:19 am

Hey guys, I have decided to completely black out my Solara. That means everything that isn't black is getting plasti dipped. I have one question, can I take off that chrome piece on the hood to plasti-dip it off the car?

I will upload pics when I am done! Just doing the grill today most likely and possibly the rear emblems as well.

Rims will come within the next couple weeks.

Also, I am not touching my headlights or fog lights. Vinyl gets melted by projector headlights and I do not want to sacrifice light output in the front of the car.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Blacking out the Solara

Postby GzNutz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Yup, the chrome does come off.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1gSE » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks for not saying murdered out. I f*ckin hate that term for some reason lol. I'm interested to see how it turns out though
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby parkc96 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

i was gonna black out my car once, then i realized my car is white :lol: but sounds cool im interested to see how it turns out... and on a side note i was thinking of goin with some white rims eventually, just unsure what rims... TE37's are sexy in white but expensive.

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm

1gSE wrote:Thanks for not saying murdered out. I f*ckin hate that term for some reason lol. I'm interested to see how it turns out though

lol did you catch that the OP had originally said murdered out and then did a quick edit before the first response? I agree though, and few people pull off an actual "murdered out" car.

OP, keep us posted.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1gSE » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:52 pm

aahhhh sneaky sneaky!! Didn't see it lol.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Hahaha ya I did say murdered out at first. But I am not sure if every single piece will be black or not quite yet. Plus I am on the fence on the phrase "murdered out" anyways as well.

Park, you can use the product I just used to paint your entire car black. It actually looks really good and is completely reversible with little effort yet durable at the same time. Check out this site: http://www.dipyourcar.com

Here is an entire S4 painted with the product I am using right now in various colors:

Stock body color:

Here is my current progress (not finished with coats):

2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Somehow me and Yadda's post disappeared. So here is our convo from about an hour ago or so, below is what I want to post now (update pics)

yaddadaimsayin wrote:wow so you didn't bother sanding down the chrome paint first and just painted over it? will it stick like that??

Thats the magic of Plasti Dip. No need to sand anything and it sticks just fine. It survives pressure washers and everything. And if you dont like it, then you just take an exact-o knife and peel a corner away and the whole thing will just peel off as one piece. It is literally a rubber spray. As you noticed I did not even have to take the emlbems off the car and it was just fine to get this stuff on my paint, it peeled right off. Though I did make the mistake of spraying a final coat on the Toyota symbol and the Solara emblem as the sun was going down and dew formed on the paint before it dried and now it looks like its always dewey. So tomorrow I will peel it all off the Toyota emblem and Solara emblem and redo it! I am finishing up the chrome hood piece right now then will upload pics of the car!

I have yet to decide what I want to do with the front Toyota emblem so for now its still chrome. I can either spray it down with a clear matte spray made by the same company, make it black, or just keep it chrome. I also am considering ordering a glowing Toyota emblem for the front in either white or blue.

Current post:

Just put everything back on the car, here's some pics!

2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Looking sharp!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DriDed » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:51 pm

The car is looking super sexy! :D
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TLMNICK » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:07 am

I like how the car is sitting right now with the rims still silver. The black emblems are a nice touch too. Vinyl shouldn't be melted by a headlight...sometimes foglights suffer from that since it's a smaller housing with more heat, but your headlights should be just fine. If I were you, I'd skip the vinyl, and just black them out from the inside.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:18 am

You should just vinyl some eyelids on your headlights if you don't black them out.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:22 am

GzNutz wrote:You should just vinyl some eyelids on your headlights if you don't black them out.

I was considering just putting eyelids on there using this plasti-dip stuff. That is what my friend with a GTI is going to do. It is just so easy to do and so easy to take off. My GTI friend sprayed his rear VW emblem and then took it off cause he didn't like it black and it took him a total of 15 minutes to go from silver, black, then back to silver.

TLMNICK wrote:I like how the car is sitting right now with the rims still silver. The black emblems are a nice touch too. Vinyl shouldn't be melted by a headlight...sometimes foglights suffer from that since it's a smaller housing with more heat, but your headlights should be just fine. If I were you, I'd skip the vinyl, and just black them out from the inside.

My tint guy said the exact opposite lol, he said he could tint my fogs but not my main headlight unit because he's had a ton of people come back with the vinyl melted where the beam hits the vinyl. That probably wont stop me from trying myself though!
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Just finished redoing the 2 emblems I messed up yesterday, and decided to black out the front Toyota emblem:

2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:25 pm

:rock:
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5