[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - What Features does your Aftermarket Head Unit Offer?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

What Features does your Aftermarket Head Unit Offer?

What Features does your Aftermarket Head Unit Offer?

Postby SolaraSport » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:56 pm

I was looking at another thread "Battle of the Dashkits". I am a little curious see what my fellow Solara junkies are riding with and what features your head unit offers. If you have any pics feel free to share.

I'll start the chain:
Avic D3
Features: Navigation, CD/DVD, mp3, Sirius/XM, Bluetooth, Backup Camera
Double-Din
SolaraSport
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: What Features does your Aftermarket Head Unit Offer?

Postby SoSleek » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:45 am

I haven't installed mine so I am not too familiar with it yet. I know that it is the top of the line Alpine unit so it must have everything? lol. I can't wait until head units have blu-ray drives and HDMI output! I don't know why automotive electronics are so behind on this technology?!? I mean crap, were still using composite video...wtF? I'd be content with Component video for now at least! we might as well be using tube TV's. lol.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:04 am

INA-W910

top of the line Alpine unit with navi, hd radio, iPod, bluetooth

@ SoSleek, why do you want blu ray and such high end video components in your car?
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:16 am

Aotoyota wrote:INA-W910

top of the line Alpine unit with navi, hd radio, iPod, bluetooth

@ SoSleek, why do you want blu ray and such high end video components in your car?
because its 2012...that's today's technology. They provide higher quality audio/video output and more capabilities.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:27 am

i hope you're planning on installing a nice alarm system in your car before you put in flatscreens and blu-rays 8)
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SolaraSport » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57 pm

With a good unit you can have 'HD-Like' Movies and set up your sound for theater or/and surround sound.
Last edited by SolaraSport on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolaraSport
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:00 pm

I wasn't saying I'm going to be putting all this crazy stuff in my car. Just stating that auto electronics r way behind the curve. I don't know why bluray players and HDMI connectivity isn't standard on a $1200 head unit.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraSport » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Audio electronics has ALWAYS been behind. Look how long it took for satellite TV to hit the SUV market
SolaraSport
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:31 pm

SolaraSport wrote:With a good unit you can have 'HD-Like' Movies and set up your sound for theater or/and surround sound.
not exactly true...DVDs highest resolution output is 480p. There r some home dvd players that will upscale but that's not going to get u HD quality. The only reason that it looks HD on the head unit display is because the displays are so small. Bluray can output 1080p. As for audio u can get surround sound using the DVD drive but because these headunits only have analog audio inputs no outside source can take advantage of surround sound. The only way u could is with a digital audio connection like HDMI toslink optical or coax.
Last edited by SoSleek on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:32 pm

SolaraSport wrote:Audio electronics has ALWAYS been behind. Look how long it took for satellite TV to hit the SUV market

My point exactly
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:04 am

I still dont understand the need for HD quality on a 7" screen in the dash. HDMI I can understand for connectivity,
and most companies have addressed it with a bus system which although dont give high res video, it does the job.

as for sound quality, with all the crap music out there that is recorded to the point and past mic saturation, why?
unless you are the few ( like myself) who still buys cds and rips everything to your iPod, there doesnt seem to be
much need for digital sound. In addition, when was the last time you saw a 5.1 system in a car? That was
about 4 years ago when everyone was set with DVD audio and 5.1

maybe im just a bit more realistic but watching HD movies while driving? should you be focused on your driving?
and for the times you are in the parking lot waiting for your girl to run in and grab something, is video quality that
important for those 5 minutes?
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5