[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - gen 2.5 headlights swap
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

gen 2.5 headlights swap

gen 2.5 headlights swap

Postby GREEN_RANGER » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 am

Hello guys,
I recently bought the gen 2.5 hid headlights so I can swap them on my gen 2.they aren't a perfect fit. The socket that's on the car doesnt plug into the socket on the 2.5 headlights . I noticed that some of the forum users have already done the swap successfully , so I figure that they mustve switched some wires and/or sockets. If there is anyone who can help me out and let me know what I need to do to get it to work/fit i would highly appreciate it. I bought the headlights on ebay so i dont even know if they work, that's what all my hurry is about. Thanks
GREEN_RANGER
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: gen 2.5 headlights swap

Postby Projex0 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:23 am

did you get the 2.5 that were ment for HIDs instead of regular bulbs?
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby philosophicaljt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:38 pm

the gen 2's come with H11 bulbs. The Gen 2.5's with HID's use D4S HID's. They are radically different. You have to wire the ballast from the new headlights into your wiring harness.

Have fun, it sucks.

edit* I just realized I am acouple months late, sorry.
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Better late then never. Someone will eventually search for this thread.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gnegroni » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:50 am

GzNutz wrote:Better late then never. Someone will eventually search for this thread.

LIKE MEEEEE!

I just had a small 0.05mph oops in heavy traffic, but the Ford Expedition's rear bumper aimed for my passenger side headlight and the headlight broke. Therefore, this is the perfect time to upgrade my regular flava headlights to the HIDs from the 2.5.

philosophicaljt wrote:the gen 2's come with H11 bulbs. The Gen 2.5's with HID's use D4S HID's. They are radically different. You have to wire the ballast from the new headlights into your wiring harness.

Have fun, it sucks.

I'm currently using the search function as I type (I'm THAT multitasking). Is the 2.5 HID ballast rewiring as intensive as rewiring an ECU? Can't we buy the wiring harness for it?
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby gnegroni » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:24 am

Well, my headlamps are here. I'm seeing into purchasing a relay harness from theretrofitsource.com to power them up, but it seems the 2.5 HID headlamps have a proprietary connector (HIR 9012/9005 connector in background for reference):

Anybody know what connector this is?
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby GzNutz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:26 pm

My guess is the power for the leveling motor. I think the gen 2.5's with hids have beam height adjustment on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Or is that just for the ballast?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gnegroni » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:41 pm

First, let me thank you for replying. Not many people keeping active on the forum now a days.

GzNutz wrote:My guess is the power for the leveling motor. I think the gen 2.5's with hids have beam height adjustment on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Or is that just for the ballast?

To follow up, I thought that was for the low beams... this other picture shows what I think could be the leveling motor control, a bit higher than the connector I'm speaking about (IMO - it has a screw, bigger box and three lead connector instead of two like typical lighting connector):
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Projex0 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:42 pm

ok in the second picture that piece on top of the highbeam is the auto level motor the plug that on the bottom connects to another plug which in turn connects to the ballast
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gnegroni » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Projex0 wrote:ok in the second picture that piece on top of the highbeam is the auto level motor the plug that on the bottom connects to another plug which in turn connects to the ballast

Correct.

I will be using a male 9006 connector and soldering it to those leads (not the connector itself) and using a relay harness to protect the stock wiring harness. I plan on covering up the stock white connector and not removing it entirely (or I may eventually just cut it).

Still, I wonder about those auto level control works...
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Projex0 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:58 pm

about the auto level, look for oem manual switch like this one and your golden the ability to level inside the cab

here you go to give you an idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN_c2o-3K2g
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5