[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TRD RSB and FSTB - FINALLY on my Convertible
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

TRD RSB and FSTB - FINALLY on my Convertible

Re: TRD RSB and FSTB - FINALLY on my Convertible

Postby edannan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:07 pm

I've been reading the various threads on the TRD FSTB for some time now and have a question that I couldn't find an answer to so here it is. My 2008 SLE came with FSTB from the factory. It's black and wider than the TRD version and I was wondering whether anyone has made a comparison between the two braces to see which, if either, is better than the other. The OEM brace looks more stout but I would guess that the TRD brace is better. Thanks for any input.
edannan
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Down2TheC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:20 pm

The OEM for the Gen2 was definitely wimpy next to the TRD, but I recall it being skinnier. It's possible that they beefed it up for the Gen2.5 rework. Check parts with your local dealer to see if the FSTB for the 04 is the same as your 08. If they are the same, then you ain't seen nothin' yet. Go TRD. If they are different, then it's a toss up. I would guess that the OEM would still be mushier and allow "cowl shake" when you hit the bumps. TRD is stiff and makes the whole front end feel solid.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby jomo795 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:59 am

The black FSTB on my 08 SLE is a flat piece of metal that is rolled over on the edges, not solid. The TRD weighs about three or 4 pounds more than the stock bar. It is a Huge upgrade. So is the RSB.
2008 Solara SLE Covertible, blizzard white pearl with tan interior and tan top. TRD FSTB, RSB, and exhaust.
jomo795
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby edannan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:24 am

Thanks for the responses. I suspected that the TRD brace was stronger because, if it weren't, why would they make it? So, I'm goin' for it.
edannan
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby jomo795 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:15 pm

TRD exhaust is finally on the car. It has a nice low tone. I am hoping it will open up a bit in time. I will have a long run in the car next week.
2008 Solara SLE Covertible, blizzard white pearl with tan interior and tan top. TRD FSTB, RSB, and exhaust.
jomo795
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5