[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HID squirrel spotters removal help
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

HID squirrel spotters removal help

HID squirrel spotters removal help

Postby aznkorboi » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:31 am

So, I've seen the forums on baking my head lights :roll: and removing the headlights and working on it from the inside

but I was wondering if there was any other way to deal with the squirrel spotters. Headlight tint? I like the beam level as it is, but the squirrel spotters are a bit too high.

Any suggestions?
aznkorboi
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: HID squirrel spotters removal help

Postby SteveSolara » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:44 pm

wtf is a squirrel spotter?
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby zacman94 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Steve, I stole this off of a Cobalt forum
Its a design feature that causes some of the light from your low beams to go up so you can read signs (which are of course higher than your low beams) or "spot squirrels" in the trees.

Some headlights use the design of the reflector to do this, some (like a projector) add a little "tab" to accomplish the same effect. With the standard halogen bulbs the amount of light sent "up" is enough to read signs but not enough to bother oncoming drivers too much.

Put hid's in the same housing and you have tripled the amount of light, including that which is going "up"....... Big time glare

aznkorboi
I've looked around on this, too. I don't know about headlight tinting, but, as far as I've seen, you're probably going to have to bake the headlights. If I find anything else, I will let you know
zacman94
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Projex0 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:56 pm

the thing is you can actually bend the flap that inside the shields to close it but it wont be shut fully

if bent down only this is what you'll get

the best way to do this is opening up and taping it with aluminum tape to completely seal it off, but if you already have the headlight apart might as well do a proper HIDretrofit.
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SteveSolara » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:18 pm

This defeats the purpose of have projectors. I think that plate it so it doesnt glare and blind people on the roads. Thats if the modded one is the white light on the left of the last photo.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Projex0 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:51 pm

no the modded one removes the square light above the cutoff
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SteveSolara » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Projex0 wrote:no the modded one removes the square light above the cutoff

Ahh gotcha. Didnt know which was which
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby aznkorboi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Hey guys,

I found something really funny. Before I had 6000k bulbs, it gave a slight blue tint to the lights. With those in, the squirrel spotter marks were so noticeable.

But now, I switched the bulbs to 5000k and I haven't seen any noticeable squirrel spotter lines. I was just about ready to remove the headlights too.
aznkorboi
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NewShockerGuy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:34 am

When I did HIDS in my wife's solara I completely blocked the squirrel spotters... You SHOULD do that if you are installing HID's anyways so you don't blind people with the light.

See this is before they were blocked off....

This is partially blocked off.

I will get a picture of them completely blocked off.
Did it exactly as the How To posted above via the pictures.. believe it was on the Camry forums. I noticed them with

Definitely a mod worth doing if doing HIDS.

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby crankine3 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:14 pm

It might be something with the bulbs, and the source of the arc in the xenon bulb being thinner?
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5