[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Anyone have Sylvania Silverstars on their 04?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Anyone have Sylvania Silverstars on their 04?

Anyone have Sylvania Silverstars on their 04?

Postby fotodad » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:01 pm

Yes, I did a search on the topic of headlights, and, more specifically, Sylvania Silverstar. All the hits I got dealt with generation 1 Solaras. It seems those people who have Silverstars are quite happy with them.

But since the 04's design is different, I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their stock headlights with Silverstars. I looked at my owner's manual and it lists 9005s for the high beams, but doesn't list a size for the low beams. Anyone know what size the low beams are? Also, according to the owner's manual, if fog lights need replacing the owner is suppose to take it to the dealer because damage to the vehicle could occur if the owner attempts to change the bulbs! Why does the car have to go to the dealer to have fog lights replaced?

Thanks!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:22 pm

Hmmm, maybe I should stop having the fog lights on all the time and stretch the life out on them. The normal headlights seem fine for me so far but I'm hardly ever on dark roads with few cars to really test them out.

Hey Fotodad,
Did you ever verify if the rear mirror still autodims at night (turning headlights behind you blue) since you got your tint on the rear window?

Dave
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby MGLax13 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:23 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but usually when a car has 9005 for highs, the lows are 9006.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby fotodad » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:08 pm

slingshot wrote:Hmmm, maybe I should stop having the fog lights on all the time and stretch the life out on them. The normal headlights seem fine for me so far but I'm hardly ever on dark roads with few cars to really test them out.

Hey Fotodad,
Did you ever verify if the rear mirror still autodims at night (turning headlights behind you blue) since you got your tint on the rear window?

Dave

Good point about the fog lights! I keep mine on, too. From now on I they go off until needed.

The headlights are blue in my rearview mirror. But I wonder if the mirror is auto dimming or if the window tinting causes the headlights to go blue. I wish I could give you a more difinitive answer. Unfortunately, I don't remember what headlights looked like in the mirror previous to the tinting.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby fotodad » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:11 pm

MGLax13 wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but usually when a car has 9005 for highs, the lows are 9006.

I think you're right, MGLax13. According to Sylvania's website (which only goes to 2003 Solaras) the 2003s were 9005 for highs and 9006s for lows. I can't imagine why Toyota would change this arrangement.

The AutoZone in my area sells the bulbs for $20.00 each. Is that a good deal, or are they substantially cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:50 pm

fotodad wrote:The headlights are blue in my rearview mirror. But I wonder if the mirror is auto dimming or if the window tinting causes the headlights to go blue. I wish I could give you a more difinitive answer. Unfortunately, I don't remember what headlights looked like in the mirror previous to the tinting.

I highly doubt the tint would make headlights go blue. I think only autodimming does that. Tinting should only dim them not turn them another color. When headlights behind me get to a certain brightness I see the autodimming turn on because then the headlights become bluish.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby MGLax13 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:30 pm

Yeah, the lows and highs were that combo in my Accord too and with some other Honda's as well....That's really the only 2 bulb combo that would work out well b\c of the different wattages and that they're both single fillament.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby JadedEMOlush » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:02 pm

Well, since it is the PES headlights(projection) for the low beams, they probably take a completely different bulb... and we will probably have very limited choices.

As for the fog lights... I ALWAYS leave mine on when the headlights are on. Fog lights rarely help when driving anyway, but I just love the way they look... Provide that bold Solara statement. I am not too worried about the bulbs burning out. I drove my 1999 solara SLE for 3 years, and NEVER turned the foglights off, EVER and they didnt burn out even once.

oh well... whatever makes ya happy... but I am going to enjoy this car to the fullest, and not worry about what is going to happen 4 years from now.
JadedEMOlush
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby fotodad » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:30 pm

Update:

Replacing the high beams with SilverStars will be easy. Just about every car specialty place has them. But, Jaded, you were right about a limited selection on the low beam replacements. My local Autozone store was not able to find a SilverStar replacement for the low beams. They suggested checking out Sylvania's website. I did. But couldn't find anything. I'm going to call Sylvania's customer service line tomorrow.

But I thought I'd publish the numbers I found on the low beam after I removed it from its housing on the car. These are the numbers listed:

Philips H11LL
Germany C313
12v 55w
12362LL

Maybe those numbers will mean lsomething to someone out there regarding a possible SiverStar replacement.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby fotodad » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:02 pm

Bad news.

Just got off the phone with Sylvania (1.800.347.3420) regarding SilverStar low beams for the Solara. They don't make them. Sylvania does make a standard replacement for that bulb, but not a SilverStar. The Sylvania rep. said if enough people want them and/or more cars have them installed, then they'll probably develop a SilverStar for the Solara.

Might be a good idea to give them a call and tell them you'd be interested in purchasing a set if they were available.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:25 pm

What do silverstars do for you? What are the advantages?
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby fotodad » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:14 pm

slingshot wrote:What do silverstars do for you? What are the advantages?

Good question!

According to Sylvania and people who have SilverStar bulbs, they are significantly brighter than standard halogen bulbs. Though not as bright as HID, they are suppose to come darn close. I must admit that I've never actually seen how bright they are; I'm only going by what others have said.

I'll get a pair of high beams SilverStars and let you know how they work out.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:09 pm

You don't find the present headlights bright enough in the driving you do? I'm mostly on pretty busy brightly lit roads so can't really evaluate how bright mine are. I wonder if the projection hoopla actually has any effect in making our headlights brighter.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:35 pm

For some reason, there seems to be a surge of people who's silverstars are currently burning out. KNOCK ON WOOD. :(
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:55 pm

slingshot wrote:You don't find the present headlights bright enough in the driving you do? I'm mostly on pretty busy brightly lit roads so can't really evaluate how bright mine are. I wonder if the projection hoopla actually has any effect in making our headlights brighter.

Everyday on my way home I drive in the dark, so bright lights are important to me especially since the highways I drive are saturated with whitetail deer. The brighter the light, the better I can see, the safer my drive will be.

I agree, this projection hoopla is just that. I don't think my low beams are any brighter than a standard halogen bulb. In fact, I think they may be a tad dimmer. Fortunately the high beams can be substituted with the SilverStars. Since high beams are the most effective for me and my drive, I think they'll do just fine. I'll let everyone know how they work out.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5