[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - tint question
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

tint question

tint question

Postby himynam3isjas0n » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:06 pm

how do they tint the back window? im currious, there is no screw for the brake light, where you can take it off, so im wondering how they would remove the brake light when they tine the rear window. anyone have there tinted yet?
gen 2, v6 se solara.
himynam3isjas0n
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:17 pm

Good question. I'd like to add a second question. Has anyone who tinted their rear window tinted over the top section with the dots successfully? I'm wondering whether to try it or just leave it undone on top.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Badabing350 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:34 pm

I had my '04 Solara tinted the tint was cut out around the brake light. The installer did it clean and professional looking.

The dot matrix was not tinted. When the installer looked at my window he asked if I wanted them to try and tint it. I told them to use their judgment and they left the top part alone. I think it looks good with the tint going up to the bottom of the matrix.
Badabing350
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Blazed04 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:19 pm

Yeah, i got mine tinted also. They cut around the 3rd brake light, altough i actually tried taking it out the night before with no luck. In order to take it out, you have to take out the whole rear-deck because its molded in. Also the dot matrix, they asked if i wanted them tinted or not and they warned me on how it might look if they did tint it, and i said sure go ahead. Im regreting it now :( It just doesnt look right tinted (the dots that is). But overall, my tint looks good. I got 35% all around and it still looks DARK because of the black interior.
Lunar Mist '04 SE Sport V6
2001 GSXR 750

Blazed04
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TW85 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:45 pm

My car was tinted at the port prior to it being delivered to the dealership. They stopped the tint just below the dot matrix and also cut around the brake light.

BTW, what purpose does the dot matrix serve?
Moved on to better things...
TW85
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mik00725 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:38 pm

Hi all,

Mine was tinted below the dot matrix, the guy in the shop told it was best this way since tinting over it will leave a lot of tiny air pockets because of the dots. They tinted all the way down in the brake light, don't know how, but they told me if for any reason (waranty) the tint must be taken out, it will be my responsability to take out the rear deck. The tint looks awesome they did a nice work (the tint is 20% smoke)
2004 Arctic Frost Pearl with Dark Stone Leather seats SE.
mik00725
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Tint - platinum tint

Postby michaels artic frost » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:55 pm

I got mine tinted with platinum tint (mirror tint) and it was tinted around the brake light and the installer tinted the entire back window over the black matrix dots and I have no problems with it and it looks great. Plus the tint job is lifetime warranty and I've been recommending all my buddies to go there. The two front windows have 35% and the small quarter and back window have 20%. The car looks great and the tint just makes my artic frost pearl look even better.
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby michaels artic frost » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:56 pm

I got mine tinted with platinum tint (mirror tint) and it was tinted around the brake light and the installer tinted the entire back window over the black matrix dots and I have no problems with it and it looks great. Plus the tint job is lifetime warranty and I've been recommending all my buddies to go there. The two front windows have 35% and the small quarter and back window have 20%. The car looks great and the tint just makes my artic frost pearl look even better.
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby himynam3isjas0n » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:03 am

can any1 show a picture of the rear tint please. im still curious, if it looks funny. with the whole back window tinted. and it leaves a red color box there. well thnx. i got alot of reassurance from reading everyone's reply's. and what tint is illegal? im still confused about that. like i dont want ppl to see inside of my car. but i dont want to get pulled over.
gen 2, v6 se solara.
himynam3isjas0n
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

tint info

Postby NOBOOST » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:30 am

I have my windows tinted 20% all around... over the dot matrix on the rear as well.

I have NO problems with the way it looks and I also have no idea how the tinted around the breaklight because the tint goes into the brake light housing around 1/4".

Here is a link to a tint info website that has all the answers to all tinting questions....including laws

http://www.tintdude.com/
NOBOOST
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mik00725 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:50 am

Here are the pics of the tinted windows. All the way down past the brake light. i like they way it looks.

http://members.cardomain.com/mik00725
mik00725
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Blazed04 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:10 pm

How was that done, did you or the installer take out the rear deck to go behind the 3rd brake light?
2001 GSXR 750

Blazed04
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby onefiend » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:54 pm

It shows how to remove the third brake light in the owners manual.
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Blazed04 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:57 pm

Our 3rd brake light is molded into the rear deck, so in order to get the light out, the whole rear deck has to be removed...which is kinda complicated when i tried. You hafta take all those little plastic plugs out, and then somehow pull the sides of the deck out of the side pillar molding. I dunno, maybe someone knows an easier way...
2001 GSXR 750

Blazed04
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mik00725 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:56 pm

In my car I'm sure they didnt take the brake light out. Since the tint has a lifetime warranty, I'd to sign a disclosure that states that if the rear tint has to be removed it has to be made by me, not the shop. They know taking this out is a pain in the rear. How they were able to put the tint there I dont know but it is perfect all the way down.

:lol:
mik00725
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5