[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 18s or 20s wheels?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

18s or 20s wheels?

Postby NOBOOST » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:17 am

Blazed04 wrote:
Try out tirerack.com for looking at how rims would look on your car ( I think they only offer 18's to fit our cars though and they told me thats all that would fit!!! )

Haa...they dont know much then.
[/quote]

Well I dont normally stand up for companies but I have to here!!! The Tire Rack is probably the most reputable online tire and wheel distributer in the world!!! The created the online/ mail order tire and wheel buisness and all have copied them.

99% of the people that work their have more knowledge about rims and tires than ALL of us combined...

Maybe I miswrote my post because it should have said "all that would fit without issue"... and they wont sell you rims and tires that will cause problems for you!!!

PLEASE NOTE THIS:

When you put a bigger rim and tire on your ride you are making a sacrifice... the larger you go the more things can go wrong....such as... ride quality will go down / gas milage will suffer / car will be slower / odometer will be off / turning radius will suffer

which is why I wrote ... if you want to bling and put low miles on your ride than go large and pimp your "show" car... If you want performance than go small and drop your car...

A car with 18's dropped will look as nice as a car with 20's ... unless they are still spinnin!!!!!!!!!
NOBOOST
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mole » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:36 am

i dont mind sacrificing all those road cons when i have this pro: Traction.

its true that those things may happen, however they are minimal.

i never heard of the turning radius one before.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby NOBOOST » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:37 pm

TRDMole177 wrote:i dont mind sacrificing all those road cons when i have this pro: Traction.

its true that those things may happen, however they are minimal.

i never heard of the turning radius one before.

Well if you are losing power than you wont need as much traction...but I know these loses are minimal.

Also... just because you go bigger doesnt mean you will get better traction!!! Maybe in a straight line but you may completly alter the vehicles suspention dynamics if you go too big and this would result in a loss of traction when cornering :oops:

Another thing to consider is if you got 20"'s and then skimp on tires like most people do than you will even be worse off....how many people do you know that have $400 tires on their rims?

As stated before IMHO if you want performance than go 18 if you want style go blingin'

NOBODY is putting down enough HP or TQ to warrent a 20" rim with wide ass slicks for better traction.
NOBOOST
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Blazed04 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:43 pm

Yeah...i wasnt trying to put down tirerack, and i do know that they have a good knowledge of 'wheel to car' fitment, all i meant by them not knowing much how you originally said "20s cant fit"...thats all i was disagreeing with.
Lunar Mist '04 SE Sport V6
2001 GSXR 750

Blazed04
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

19" OR 20"

Postby ka » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:29 pm

df
Last edited by ka on Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ka
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

19" OR 20"

Postby ka » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:29 pm

HELLO EVERONE:

my name is kall , and i just joined with the site,, well to tell you the truth i learned a lot from your discustion guys and sharing informations..

i drive a solara 04 balck SE sport.... the thing is, i could not decide between 19 or 20.. until i today, after 3 months of discutions and argueing i setteled on the 19" chrome with spinners .....those are the reasons why...

1. it is a new car in the market.. no one can predict what will happen if i put 20's...even though i know that guy with simillar car put 20 " on it.. but man that is huge, it is true it looks like crazy, but i did not buy a car to just show, i want also to be able to drive in comfort on those crappy roads...so i decided to go 19"...

2. in addtion to that,, as you guys mentioned, and what toyota dealer advieced me, 20 " will damage the control system on the car.. at least the speedin meter or the pressure system,, and many other things... so toyota suggested the biggest i can go is 19 with 35 profile and i should not have problems coz i have sport suspension that would help the roughness too...

3. it is not true 19" cost more than 20,, but it is true there is not that much demand on them , so who ever wanna buy 19" and think to re sell them later ,, it will be harder than sellilng 20's ,, that was a point to take in concern for me coz i like to change rims every year...
but in other hand solara is FWD and 20's hard to sell it for cars FWD... so that made me say i will go 19".

the question is ,,, is it better to go with 35" or 40" profile???? for look wise not performance i know performance 40 + is better..

i chose for my ride diablo Vienna 19 * 8 with spinwheel 6 spokes spinners... khomos tires 225/35/19??? what u think guys....

P.s TO blazed04,, that guy used 245/35/20 on his black solara...it is fine but a lot told me it might rubb

thanks and sorry for writtin a lot...
ka
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Blazed04 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:16 am

wow...i thought i was getting out of the "car show scene" by getting an 04. but i guess not, still looks like everyone has the same ideas & plans that honda owners have.
2001 GSXR 750

Blazed04
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ka » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:41 pm

same here i sold my honda prelude , coz i did not want to spend anything on cars anymore , jnust wanted factory stuff... but man hard to quiet :)
ka
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SKYravefever » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:00 pm

At times, less is more. I'm not a fan of huge rims, other than to gaudy up a ride.
SKYravefever
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Blazed04 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:40 pm

SKYravefever wrote:At times, less is more. I'm not a fan of huge rims, other than to gaudy up a ride.

after realizing how much money i wasted on my honda...i give your statement two thumbs up!! :scatter:
ps- dont get me wrong, with the right mods any car can look better, but a bunch of cheap mods just to get attention, usually attracts negative attention. By the way...sorry to get off topic from the original post.
2001 GSXR 750

Blazed04
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: 19" OR 20"

Postby onefiend » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:19 pm

ka wrote:i chose for my ride diablo Vienna 19 * 8 with spinwheel 6 spokes spinners... khomos tires 225/35/19??? what u think guys....

I have Khumos on 18 inch rims my only gripe about those tires is that they only last 20k miles if you fail to get balance/rotation when needed. And you also cant have a heavy foot with khumos, the tread life sucks. I decided to get them again because they were cheap and looked nice. So far with normal driving I have gotten up to 28k on them. :D
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5