[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Please help - will 20s fit without additional adjustments?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Please help - will 20s fit without additional adjustments?

Please help - will 20s fit without additional adjustments?

Postby michaels artic frost » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:30 pm

Hi,

I know there have been several similar threads about wheel size fitment. I just need some reassurance. Please answer only if you have 20s or personally know someone that have 20s on the 04 Solaras.

I've got 18s 225/40 right now and they fit fine. I've taken a look at the rear strut and 20s just does not seem like they would fit. Seems like they would rub. I know Blazed04
posted a reply stating that 245/35/20's don't rub and that there would be no problem.

I've been to some sites that say 20s will fit with 225/35ZR20.
http://www.bigwheels.net/package_list.jsp?req=find&startfrom=1&vehicleyear=2004&vehiclemake=Toyota&vehiclemodelOld=4+Runner&vehiclemodel=Solara&sized=0&finish=&brand=&sortRimsBy=size

Other sites are not even listing 20s, such as tirerack.com and several others.

I've contacted my local performance shop as well and they say 19s would be fine, and 20s, they're not sure.

Bottom line is, will 20s fit, and if so, is there any adjustments needed? I'm not concern about the wheel well gap; my main concern is that the car will drive without rubbing. Also, how does the ride feel?

Thanks,
Michael
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby slingshot » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:11 am

Did you win the KY lotto? ;-)
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Re: Please help - will 20s fit without additional adjustment

Postby Blazed04 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:24 pm

michaels_artic_frost wrote:Bottom line is, will 20s fit Also, how does the ride feel?

^^^YES
And as for the ride, its fine, just a little louder.
....these posts are getting redundant :(
Lunar Mist '04 SE Sport V6
2001 GSXR 750

Blazed04
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby twincepts » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:37 pm

Hey michael, I know you've had those 20's for a while now so I just wanted to know your feedback on them. I'm thinking about getting some as well. Do the tires rub against the well alot? How about your ride quality? Thanks a lot
2004 Solara SLE V6
28% tint all around
clear bra hood protector
exact fit all season clear mats; OEM mud guards
more coming soon...
twincepts
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby michaels artic frost » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:54 am

twincepts wrote:Hey michael, I know you've had those 20's for a while now so I just wanted to know your feedback on them. I'm thinking about getting some as well. Do the tires rub against the well alot? How about your ride quality? Thanks a lot

Below is my personal opinion and experience

Scale of 1-10 (10 being best of course or smoothest)
1. Stock 17s with 215/55/17 tires - 10

2. Aftermarket 18s with 225/40/18 tires - 9.5 (No rubbing, but bigger wheel well gap - DON'T DO it unless you go with tires like 245/45/18s)

3. Aftermarket 20s with 245/35/20 tires - 8.5 (No rubbing, wheel well gap is bout 2 inches so looks much better. I personally DO NOT recommend dropping because the width of my wheels are 20X8.5 and it will definitely hit the fenders, unless I plan to do some adjustments so that I can drop it. I would really like to drop it, but it looks great already and the ride is still smooth. A drop would look even better, but there's more time and money, perhaps later on. As for driving with 4 average size adults (180lbs each) it's okay but do not take sharp turns or hit bumps, because you will RUB. If there is more weight in the car, you will rub if you're taking turns or go over bumps. I don't haul people around in my car, it's just my girl and myself most of the times and the ride is very smooth and no rubbing.)

Also, as Blazed04 mentioned above, the noise is louder. Rollin on dubs, the noise is a bit louder then your stock. You can hear it with the music off. But my music is always blastin, so it doesn't bother me. I really don't notice it any more and the interstated ride is very smooth and less tire noise as well.

I hope this explains it for everyone. This was the explanation that I was looking for when I was searching for rims but I guess there weren't many that had 20s at the time.

The first set I went with were 18s Donz Lucianos because I tried to ask around and didn't get enough information, otherwise I would have gone with 20s in the first place. There were some that recommended 19s and 20s, but no explanation or personal experience.

I'm very happy with dubs.

Well, if you have any other questions just PM me or post it.

Good luck,
Michael

P.S. I'm glad you revived this thread, it's kinda funny now that I'm answering my own questions...lol :)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby twincepts » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:42 am

Thanks a lot Michael. That really helps me make a better decision. Personally, I do tend to haul people and luggage around a lot so I don't think that 20's would be ideal for me. I have to admit though that the 20's do look really great on your car.
2004 Solara SLE V6
28% tint all around
clear bra hood protector
exact fit all season clear mats; OEM mud guards
more coming soon...
twincepts
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5