[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Upgrading transmission
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Upgrading transmission

Postby mattyboyl » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:11 pm

I'll tell you what. If I were to put big hp hookeed up to any transmission in the world, I would go with Toyota. Their transmissions are bullet proof! Look at the Supra! How many transmission problems do you hear with that car? Those things still sell for over $30K+ with 100,000. Why? Because they last a long time! I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT and that tranny was the worst transmission set up I have ever experienced. I went through two transmissions before I just had to get rid of it! To get back on topic, if it were me, I would say the stock tranny would be sufficient as long as you aren't going to the track every weekend. I mean look at the stock supercharger. It will bump up our hp to just about that. I highly doubt they will recommend any tranny mods.
Last edited by mattyboyl on Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby got sport » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:35 pm

Ditto. Just wait for the supercharger, we'll get 300+ hp with that.
Last edited by got sport on Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<b>'04 V6 SE Sport -Black</b>
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gotsport
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Astro » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:32 pm

got sport wrote:Ditto. Just wait for the supercharger, you'll get 300+ hp with that.

Man, I can't wait!!!!
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby dawp » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:05 pm

he has a 4 like mine,i don't think the trd sc will push the power that high.
dawp
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby impactX » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:34 am

mattyboyl wrote:I'll tell you what. If I were to put big hp hookeed up to any transmission in the world, I would go with Toyota. Their transmissions are bullet proof! Look at the Supra! How many transmission problems do you hear with that car? Those things still sell for over $30K+ with 100,000. Why? Because they last a long time! I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT and that tranny was the worst transmission set up I have ever experienced. I went through two transmissions before I just had to get rid of it! To get back on topic, if it were me, I would say the stock tranny would be sufficient as long as you aren't going to the track every weekend. I mean look at the stock supercharger. It will bump up our hp to just about that. I highly doubt they will recommend any tranny mods.

I hope you are joking.

Supra is in a different league, everything on that car is almost an overkill. They still sell for 30k+ because of their exclusiveness since they are discontinued and the amount of aftermarket support.

Don't mean to burst your bubbles, but with the money you have to turn an I4 Solara into a 300hp monster, you can buy a better platform to start on. The V6 people have enough problems doing that with extra 0.6L.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ICrazyChrisI » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:57 am

Its not going to happen.
ICrazyChrisI
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby impactX » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:19 am

Kung Fighting Fu wrote:why would it be so hard to upgrade the I4 solara's power? I don't get it.

How much power are you pushing now? Let's say you have 120fwhp. To push 300fwhp, it vitually means you have to have more than double the air (+ 1.5x) going into the engine. This will put a lot of pressure on an engine with no strengthened internals and the engine will blow.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:27 am

Kung Fighting Fu wrote:I am gonna lower the car to about an inch with lowering springs.

it will be great if you can give me the link to websites where I can find some of these parts for my 04 I4 solara.

lowering springs DO NOT QUALIFY as a racing suspension. You need a coil over system

You will never push 300 wHP because the auto tranny can only handle so much.

YOUR CAR IS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!! IT WILL BE OUTHANDLED BY ALMOST ANY LOW HP FR ON THE MARKET.

Your transmission isn't as easy to upgrade as the Supra... GETRAG makes the Supra 6-speed tranny, not Toyota. Getrag is known for their crazy transmissions. Toyota are the best OEM ones though (manual ones, that is)

The 2AZ is made of aluminum... not very strong. Just lightweight (sort of)

A turbocharger will cause you more problems than allow you to have fun. Oil leaks are occur unless you're willing to spend the proper amount to have a proven shop to do it. Most good shops ask from 8Gs+

Why do you want headers on your car if you're getting turbo? You need a turbo manifold and can't put on headers...

I have more but I have to get to work. GOOD GAME.'

Sidenote: You have about 130 whp stock.
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby krawzyazn » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:32 am

haha remember when i wanted turbo they quoted me 10k lol and it was not Guaranteed like i said in my other post its not possible unless you swap to a v6 but hea what ever floats your boat
when i saw your list i was ballin you want headers :drinking:
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5