[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Lowering Springs or Rear Sway Bar?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Lowering Springs or Rear Sway Bar?

Postby cydog3 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:38 pm

My lowering springs cost me 420 to have installed and 200 for the springs total 620 .I got it done at a trd recommended Toyota dealer.

go to
http://trdusa.com/DealerLocator.asp

They were cheaper because they do more of them and get training from TRD my local 5 min up the road toyota shop wanted 600 to install and 300 for the springs ...so I drove 30min and got it 180 cheaper on labor and 100 cheaper for the springs. Plus I would much rather have a trd dealer do it and its cheaper so its a win win
2004 Solara SE Sport Coupe V6
Artic Frost Pearl
35% Tint
TRD Lowering Springs
TRD Air Filter
TRD Rear Sway Bar
TRD Front Strut Brace
http://www.cardomain.com/id/cydog3
cydog3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:12 pm

Thanks cydog3, just called a local TRD and they're going to call me back with price quotes.

HOLLA!
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby whiteflash » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:29 pm

Lower it first if u cant afford both
Injen w/CAI Extension
Vogtland Springs
Tokico Struts
Custom Full exhaust
TWM Shortshiftter
8000K HID Kit
whiteflash
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bassthrive » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:55 pm

Where are you guys going to get your springs installed so cheap? Elaborate on "non-dealer" so maybe I can find a garage by me that will give me that great price.

- Paul
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby got sport » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:03 pm

Look for shops that sell aftermarket products like rims, exhausts, accessories. Call those places up and ask if they offer suspension installation services. Some tire service shops offer them as well.

Do a search on the Net for these kinds of places in the FL area, or ask around on this board, that's what I did and I got recommended to two different places.

These import car part shops won't gouge with you ridiculous labor prices like the Toyota dealers. Paying 5-10 times the price of the parts for labor at dealerships is outrageous. That's not worth getting the products, if you go that route.
<b>'04 V6 SE Sport -Black</b>
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gotsport
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:24 pm

I got quoted $86 by a Toyota dealer to install the RSB I got already from toyotaparts4u. How's that price from a dealer?
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby got sport » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:35 pm

$86 is a lot better than the quotes that I have seen from other dealerships.
I got mine installed for $40.
<b>'04 V6 SE Sport -Black</b>
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gotsport
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cptnkoolaid » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:43 pm

Thank you everyone for the great information. I think that because I have the 04 SLE I will just go with the RSB for now because I do not have the money for both springs and struts, and I want to do those both at the same time.
cptnkoolaid
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:22 pm

I got in contact with a TRD certified servicer and they quoted me approx. $700, parts - $200 and labor - $500. It's till a bit high for me, but I've got warranty on my car until it reaches 75,000 miles. This is the only reason why I'm seeking a Toyota dealer to perform the work because voiding my suspension warranty is the last thing I want to do. Gonna have to save more monies. :)

Thanks for all the help fellow solara members.

-Michael
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby invdrgir » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:58 pm

got sport wrote:$86 is a lot better than the quotes that I have seen from other dealerships.
I got mine installed for $40.

hey got sport, it seems like you got one hell of a deal. i called a trd registered dealership and they said cost for parts for a rear sway bar would be $198 and instillation would be $200. is that considered alittle exorbant and should i look for other dealerships around me because it seems both you and slingshot seemed to either got a hell of a deal or is this dealership trying to rip me off
invdrgir
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby invdrgir » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:02 pm

oh also as a follow up question. if i can't a good price for installing the rear sway bar, is it possible to self install and is it a complicated process or relatively easy? if anyone knows anything about this please let me know.

thanks
invdrgir
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:26 pm

invdrgir wrote:hey got sport, it seems like you got one hell of a deal. i called a trd registered dealership and they said cost for parts for a rear sway bar would be $198 and instillation would be $200. is that considered alittle exorbant and should i look for other dealerships around me because it seems both you and slingshot seemed to either got a hell of a deal or is this dealership trying to rip me off

I bought my RSB from Toyotaparts4u.com for only about $156 and I called a couple Toyota dealers and they both said one hour labor or $86-89 to install it. I don't see how any dealer can say more than one hour labor. The $198 price you got quoted is probably Dealer price so not too bad but the $200 installation is a total ripoff. Call more dealers or have a friend help you worstcase to install it.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby slingshot » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:29 pm

invdrgir wrote:oh also as a follow up question. if i can't a good price for installing the rear sway bar, is it possible to self install and is it a complicated process or relatively easy? if anyone knows anything about this please let me know.

thanks

I got the instructions. You have to have the car raised initially to install it. Doesn't look all that hard but maybe a bit tricky. It's more complicated if you have a convertible. If you've never done anything with your car like me, you might want someone helping you or have someone experienced help out. I'll probably just go to a dealer to have less worry about warranty.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

To Spring or to Sway....

Postby PhreakdOut » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:39 pm

I just bought an '04 SE Sport V-6 with the TRD springs installed. (Yes, I talked the dealer into adding them installed for $0 over the vehicle price.)

Anyway, it took a week for the dealer to get the springs so I got to enjoy the sloppy ride that came from the factory. Cornering was painful with the amount of body roll and the gap above the wheels made it look like a 4WD Solara.

After the spings were installed, the ride was much firmer. Cornering is awesome. The rake (stance) of the vehicle is perfect.

My only warning though: I notice some noise from the springs when turning. The upper mounts are tight and the bearing plate doesn't seem to be binding. No memory steering. I didn't notice if there was a rubber insulator between the spring seat and the spring on the factory setup or the new installation.

As for the TRD strut bar, I'm struggling with the concept that two smaller diameter rods, are stronger than the factory single strut bar. The TRD bar looks really cool, but I'd rather wait for the aftermarket to catch up with a carbon fiber single piece unit.

As for the TRD sway bar, I haven't gone that route yet. So far the ride and handling are where I like it. I'm afraid that if the ride gets too stiff that I will experience Wheel Skip on bumps while cornering.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby invdrgir » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:47 pm

thanks for the info slingshot. i am definately gonna check out some other dealers to compare pricing. plus i just found a family friend who has worked for toyota and lexus for like 15-20 years so maybe i can get a discount or a better price from him or he can talk to any buddies still working for toyota to get a discount or something for the installation. hahaha now its time to just start calling and comparing.

again thanks for the info
invdrgir
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5