[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Lowering Springs or Rear Sway Bar?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Lowering Springs or Rear Sway Bar?

Postby Eviltwinpsu » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:00 am

got sport wrote:Parts:
From ToyotaParts4u.com:

TRD Springs: 199.53
TRD RSB: 158.62

Labor:
Springs & RSB installation by NON-Dealer: $190
(I recommend you do occasional wheel-alignment after you drop the car)

Lowered '04 Solara with stable handling: Priceless

BTW, I heard that Koni was in development for the '04 aftermarket shocks. But, like cydog stated, the SE Sport has a sport-tuned suspension. If you have the funds and the opportunity to drop your '04, do it. It makes it look that much better.

sorry to bump shuch an old thread but....

just bought me a front strut tower brace, RSB, and lowering springs....all and all 562 with shipping...theres a toyota dealership right across my street thats going to install everything and do an alignment for 680 dollars....basically he said...hour for each bar...6 hours for the springs at 75 dollars an hour + 80 for the alignment...

from what im reading that doesnt sound like too out of the ballpark...

would try it myself but its too cold up here in Pa and i dont wana void the warrentee
Eviltwinpsu
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MikeATL » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:32 am

I have an SLE and I wanna lower it. I know I am going to need springs, but how much are new struts going to run me? Do the dealerships care if you order the parts off the net and bring them in to be installed or would they give you a better labor rate if you bought it from them?
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Swiftoy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:46 am

Do the install yourself and save some money. Very easy to do in a weekend. Took me about six hours to do and I have yet to align the car as it tracks perfectly straight, There are no camber adjustments on this car unless you buy the rear camber bolts from Eibach.

Swiftoy
Swiftoy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cablemn » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:18 pm

do you have to remove the rear seats to get the springs done?
cablemn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Swiftoy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:32 pm

To install and remove the springs you will need to rent a set of Macphearson strut spring compressors. I rented them from Autozone you put down a depost of 40 bucks and they give it back to you when you return the compressors.

You will need to remove the front passenger seat and the rear seats. both lower and upper. Very easy to do all you need is simple hand tools. The rear package tray DOES NOT need to be removed to access the rear shock bolts.

All you need to do is remove the brake line bolts and a wheel sensor from the assembly and there are three bolts on top do not forget to loosen the shock bolt located in the center before you drop the assembly out of the car. Two big bolts on the bottom can't remember if they were 21mm or 22mm and you will need a breaker bar. I used a small breaker bar and then I slid my jack handle over the bar to make it longer for more leverage worked great. Slide the bolts out of the bottom and the assembly falls out. Compress the springs and remove the old and replace with the new. The fronts are the same minus the wheel sensor and you will need to use the compressors to reinstall your lowered springs in the front. Take note when you pull the assembly out of the front in the top mount there are arrows pointing outward you will need to reinstall the assembly in this manner. If anyone needs help let me know.

Swiftoy
Swiftoy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Swiftoy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:03 pm

Gee and the dealership monkeys must be the coniseur of professionals. I would not let those monkeys do sh!t. Professional what a joke. If your mechanically inclined you can do it if your not then pay someone. Trust me this is about as professional as it gets. When you do it yourself it gets done right!!! :lol:

Swiftoy
Swiftoy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5