[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Sunroof deflector???
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Sunroof deflector???

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:54 am

I had a sunroof deflector on the '93 camry and it was a nuisance to clean the front due to bugs and underneath. That's the only reason why I haven't had one on the Solara. Another thing to consider is going through car washes. Besides, I like to have a bigger sunroof opening.
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby cklinh » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:17 pm

since you're asking for opinions... I think they're butt ugly... I thought about getting one for a second, then started hitting myself just for the thought :)
Last edited by cklinh on Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:42 pm

Sun Roof deflectors aren't the prettiest thing to look at. However, I love them. As a car ages (i know car agening is not what you gen 2 guys want to talk about...anyhow)....as a car ages, i've noticed that cars' with a deflector tend NOT to have any wind resistane noise. Those without it...have some. (again, i'm speaking from my exp in my old celica not having, my ES not having and my camry having). If your going for the "show-car" looks...then by all means, don't get it..but if your like me and use it for everyday driving, then you might appreciate it! :wink:
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Rudy » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:01 pm

125k miles

no deflector

no wind noise
99 Solara V6 5SPD
Rudy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:12 pm

The Gen2 already has a builtin popup wind deflector when the sunroof opens. THere already isn't that much wind noise. Some cars have more wind noise than others when open. On those cars, I would consider a sunroof deflector, but not on this car for sure. Don't waste your money is my opinion and I don't think it looks that great anyway.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby gogeta » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:11 pm

personally i thinj they look ok on some cars....but someone on here already said the 2nd gen comes with a built in one....ne one heard about the window guards....i hate the waterfall effect when i open my window a crack...
arctic frost pearl/gray 04 se
trd exhaust/air filter
mb quart 2 way 6x9s front
eclipse 4-way 6x9s rear
kicker kx 600.1/kicker l7 dual 2ohm
alpine head unit itching to be put in...
gogeta
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby invdrgir » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:35 pm

yeah i'll be honest, with the gen 2 solara i have noticed there is less noise with the sunroof open compared to other cars. as for the look of the wind deflector, i personally don't think it will look as good though some people say you don't know unless you look at a car with one. i'd say a good way for you to decide is try driving your car around and compare the sound of the wind and see if it really needs it or not. as for asthetics, thats completely up to you
invdrgir
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Blacker » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:01 pm

They are just plain ugly. The wind noise in the Solara is far better than my Grand Am. Have you seen the deflectors on the Honda Accord? Ewwwww
2004 Lunar Mist Solara SE Sport
stock

1998 Black Pontiac Trans Am
375rwhp
Blacker
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby mtodde » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:17 pm

I have the deflector, but agree the lines of the car look better without it. It came with the car and I paid for it, so it is staying on.

I did remove the deflector today to wash & wax my car and was very surprised at all the dirt that was trapped in the area of the wind deflector. It took a lot of scrubbing with a clay bar to remove the discolorations on the roof from dirt trapped under the rubber gasket. From now on I will remove it every time I wash the car; it only takes about 30 seconds - unfortunately that means it would be easy for someone to steal.

By the way, I used the Meguiars NXT Wax and it looked great for an hour...then the damn rain started again! I'm sold on the NXT though.
2004 Solara V6 SLE
Lunar Mist Metallic
2 time Solara owner (1999 SE V6 MT)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/648891
mtodde
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Arthur2k4 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:23 am

honeslty...i think they are a waste of money... they look alright on some cars but i wouldn't put one on the solara
Arthur2k4
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby technole » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:55 am

I happen to like it.

If you want to cruise at fast speeds and want the roof open to get some sun, then thats where you'll get full usage of it.
2004 Solara V6 SLE w/XM Satellite Radio
technole
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:01 am

slingshot wrote:The Gen2 already has a builtin popup wind deflector when the sunroof opens.

All 1990 plus toyotas' have a deflector on their sunroofs - i know my 1990 celica can with a builtin one.
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Astro » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:15 am

I had one, but took it off when I had the car painted. It does look much better without it and I find myself open on tilt most of the time. So, I don't really miss is much. Even when I did open it all the way, it didn't do that much anyway, I think it just makes more noise. IMO, it's not worth it.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5