[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Awesome-EST! dealer incident _EVER_
Ever have a bad experience? Well here's the place to discuss things.

Awesome-EST! dealer incident _EVER_

Awesome-EST! dealer incident _EVER_

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:58 pm

We had a brand new 04 LS (last year) fall off the lift...

We bought the car back, gave him a new LS and comp'd all his maintenance until 50,000 miles and lifetime 15% discount.

Not too bad =P
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby junest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:16 pm

WOW, how did it fall off the lift?
Nice compensation though. Lifetime 15% is not to shabby! Did the customer accept?
2004 Solara SLE V6 Convertible
Webpage
junest
super solara girl
super solara girl

Postby Mole » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:01 pm

the service lift? (mechanics workstation) or transport lift? (truck)

either way, its one of those "wtf" things.

any pic?
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:34 pm

It fell off our old lifts (downstairs) before we moved to the new building. It didn't really fall all the way down... one of the "stands" had something on it and the car began to slip. No one was near it when it fell, but there wasn't any real damage AND we didn't try to hide it. =P

The guy was offered the buy back, replacement and lifetime discount. He was glad to accept (hardcore Lexus lover). First LS in 1989 and gets a new one for each generation/half generation. Awesome guy!!!!!!

No pix =P but there are a few other incidents that are hilarious.
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:16 pm

Jackass-Jeff wrote:No pix =P but there are a few other incidents that are hilarious.

I got an ear for them...elaborate...
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:02 pm

LX 470 Roof Rack gets caught in the fire sprinkler system and pulls the pipe down... the windows were all open and water was pouring out like there is no tomorrow... one of the techs tries to jump in to roll the windows up... the battery was disconnected due to testing... lol so they finally get the car down. push it off, and run to turn off the water main... this was when the facility was underground... the car received a full detail

GS 430 - I forgot what was wrong, but the car is required to be pushed out doors for the first start due to burning fluids and lots of smoke. The tech didn't know that the car had that procedure done... he starts the car in the stall... POOF! The whole facility (when underground) fills with smoke and it sounded like a gun shot.

Oil Fillers - The machines are lockable just like a fuel filler nozzle. The rookie didn't know they lock because our old ones didn't lock. He pulls the nozzle out of the engine thinking the thing was off... it was still on. He looks at another tech and starts oiling him up... thud, thud, thud... lol... so then the car is covered in oil and the guy was here to pick up... they had 3 guys jump on the damn thing for a nice 15 minute full detail.

Rookie drives off w/o putting a filter on after an oil change... an oil trail is left ... everyone is laughing... sadly this happened to the same guy 3x . . . lol and he even forgot to plug the differential after changing the fluids once... we had to replace the shaft and give a few discounts on the life of the car.

a few others I can't remember right now . . .

Life is fun working at a dealership... especially when you have a bodyshop too... I saw some of the weirdest things today... T-boned celica, highlander w/ the front end missing... only the frame and engine were there, solara fender smashed up worse than ICrazyDUIChrisI's fender, etc
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby HKSV6SLE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:12 pm

ha you guys should have seen what a toyota dealer did to my car when i got it serviced like 3 years ago.......caused over 2K worth of body damage by going around a corner too sharp. :drinking:
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:47 am

Jackass-Jeff wrote:Oil Fillers - The machines are lockable just like a fuel filler nozzle. The rookie didn't know they lock because our old ones didn't lock. He pulls the nozzle out of the engine thinking the thing was off... it was still on. He looks at another tech and starts oiling him up... thud, thud, thud... lol... so then the car is covered in oil and the guy was here to pick up... they had 3 guys jump on the damn thing for a nice 15 minute full detail.

haha, reminds me of the incident in Zoolander, where his friends were at the gas station..LOL!
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:36 am

poshpepper wrote:
Jackass-Jeff wrote:solara fender smashed up worse than ICrazyDUIChrisI's fender, etc

LMAO...
haa haa those were all good ones... and thats why I hate taking my car into get serviced... LOL

That was just walking through the collision center... it's not dealer caused incidents in the last section...

But you have to take into account how big we are. We do around 420 Toyotas in service per day, I don't know how many bodyshop, and about 130 Lexus in service per day. This is not counting non-appointments and internal vehicle work.
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Two incidents

Postby mmcdonald » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:23 am

I worked at a dealer in the late 1970's and we had a Jag XJS up on a lift with the front end loose at the end of the day. The tech had left a transmissions stand with a valve stem in it to hold up the front end, and left without putting the lock on the center column floor lift.

As the pressure leaked out of the lift system, the stand receded into the floor. Problem was, the car's hood was laying on its roof, and there was another Jag XJL parked behind it. The XJS came down on its rear bumper, with the front of the car hanging by the trnasmission stand, and the hood slid off and pranged into the rear quarter of the XJL.

It took us about 45 minutes to slowly lift the XJS up back into position, fretting all the time that the transmission stand would pop out, or the valve stem would break.

It was a real treat to see that expensive car resting on its rear bumper, all tires off the ground, and the front end held 6 feet in the air on a flimsy jack stand.

I don't think we told either customer.

I also did something WAY foolish to a 12 cyclinder E-Type, beautiful white convertible. I started it in a paint prep stall IN GEAR (back before neutral lock outs) and it jumped forward into a 35 gallon barrel of paint thinner that burst and ran all over the floor under the car.

Well, I am still alive, so it didn't blow, but man, were my sinuses aching.

We didn't tell the customer either.

I also turned on an air lift to UP that had been holding a XJL for about two months. It wouldn't go up, and then suddenly sprung up to the top of its travel and tossed the Jag about a foot into the air at the top of travel. No lie. It came right back down on the jack pads, and didn't fall off.

Okay, I did a couple stupid things. The first one wasn't my fault.
2004 Solara SE Sport V6 Black
DocJohn's Vacuum Trick
K&N AF, Removed Secondary AF
TRD FSTB, TRD RSB, TRD Springs
XM Tuner DIY
mmcdonald
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 04SolaraGirlie » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:06 pm

This one time in our service dept. one of the techs left a rag in the intake of a Santa Fe after doing an oil change and let the customer drive off with it still in there, she was on the freeway and the rag got sucked into the trottle and it got locked at WOT... Luckily she was able to put it in neutral and coasted to the side of the road without hurting herself or anybody else, the guy was fired the next day, I don't know what kind of compensation she got though, but it was still pretty dumb-founding, it's like a surgeon leaving a forcep inside, and closing up the operation while it's still in there... :lol:
2004 Toyota Solara SE, 4 banger 5 speed. Bought on 3-24-2005.
04SolaraGirlie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Horrible Dealer/Service Rants