[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Expensive Mobil 1 at Jiffy Lube work around...
Ever have a bad experience? Well here's the place to discuss things.

Expensive Mobil 1 at Jiffy Lube work around...

Expensive Mobil 1 at Jiffy Lube work around...

Postby mmcdonald » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:36 am

The price of a jiffy lube oil change using mobil 1 synthetic has gone up more than $20 in the past few months to $79.99 for an oil change! Can you believe that?!

I complained to the tech taking my car and he said if I go get my own oil, they will change it for a little less than the cost of a normal oil change (about $28 - normal is about $34 in our area.)

So I went to Advance and bought 5 quarts at $4.44 each and took them back and they changed it using my oil (I watched).

Okay, the price totally sucks, but the work around is a pretty good solution. Hope this helps someone.
2004 Solara SE Sport V6 Black
DocJohn's Vacuum Trick
K&N AF, Removed Secondary AF
TRD FSTB, TRD RSB, TRD Springs
XM Tuner DIY
mmcdonald
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mole » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:04 am

If you complain about the price for labored oil changes, perhaps it may be time to do them your self?

It's one of the easiest car maintenance duties.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:33 am

Just ysterday I paid 33 dolars for a case of Mobil 1 syn 10-30w and @utoZ0ne and paid the mechanic to install with a new filter for 18.00.
did they make a tutorial for oil change yet?
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:42 am

Mole wrote:If you complain about the price for labored oil changes, perhaps it may be time to do them your self?

It's one of the easiest car maintenance duties.

^^ what he said...Typical cost of DIY:
1. Mobil 1 Syn oil = 21 dollars
2. filter = 4.50
3. Gasket = buck
for under 30 bucks your 'adding' years to your car by learning to do it yourself. If your not lowered, ramps (not needed, but helpful) will cost another 20 bucks..and will help you gain access to the drainplug more easily...(i've yet to find ramps for lowered cars)
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Nutty101 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:44 pm

Laugh, there are some ramps out there for lowered cars. You pull your wheels onto them and then jack them up. However the price of them are beyond even worth it.

Oh on a note. Mobile 1 synth 10-30/5-30 is like 17$ at walmart for a 5 quart jug out here. :)
Nutty101
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mmcdonald » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:00 am

Having worked at dealerships and gas stations where I was tasked with oil and fluid changes, as well as other duties, I know how to change the oil and how easy it is - relatively.

I do not have the time or the inclination at my age to do this and properly dispose of the oil (Chesapeake Bay watershed). For the extra few dollars, I will let the idiots (always screw something up) at Dobbin Jiffy Lube have at it. I never buy the add-on junk they try to sell you every time.

I do other small maintenance tasks on my ride, but I can now afford the luxury of having a shop do the springs, for example.

Really, though, $80 for an oil change is totally unreasonable. I'll get the oil for whatever good price I can find and have them do it and top the fluids, and smudge the windows, and flatten the tires etc, like they always do.

I had them rotate the tires last time and it took longer than the oil change cause they were just back there talking and hanging out. Buncha screw ups. No wonder they are working at the JL!
DocJohn's Vacuum Trick
XM Tuner DIY
mmcdonald
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SC V6 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:02 am

I've never ever had a shop change any of the oil on my car/truck... its so simple... worth the time to DIY!!!!
Parting out my car!!! great upgrades for sale!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34449

Denso IK22's (6), SWAP PARTS! and more!!!
SC V6
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby RichD978 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:41 am

i do oil changes for all 6 cars in my house and charge 5 bucks each... so thats about free oil for my car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/818696
VOTE FOR ME FOR SHOWOFF OF THE WEEK
RichD978
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Mole » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:46 am

$80 for an oil change is most certainly unreasonable. why dont you call around to other places and see how much they charge ?
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Astro » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:47 am

Nutty101 wrote:Laugh, there are some ramps out there for lowered cars. You pull your wheels onto them and then jack them up. However the price of them are beyond even worth it.

I've got these ramps, made for lowered hot rods. I was lower than all of you with the black widow kit hanging lower and hanging out farther forward (I did raise it when I got the coilovers). Plus my sideskirts are much bigger than TRDs, so these ramps helped in getting my jack under them. They cost me about $50, but worth every cent...

*click on pic*
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Postby P Funky » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:58 am

PM to you, MMcdonald. Yo.
<b>Master 'Yota</b>. K&N air filter, Sylvania Silverstar head/fog lamps Alpine CDA-9847, Blaupunkt ODc650, Alpine Type-R SPR-69LP. Alpine SWS-1022D 10". Alpine MRV-F340 55W x 4. Kenwood KAC 7201
P Funky
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DatSRBoi » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:13 am

Takes me 15 minutes do do oil change on my car.. Thats with watching the babes walking by :)
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby SC V6 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 am

I even get to change the oil in other peoples cars who realize I have a good head for working on cars.. one of those.. ." Oh will you change my oil for me?"... then you have to say sure.. I guess
Parting out my car!!! great upgrades for sale!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34449

Denso IK22's (6), SWAP PARTS! and more!!!
SC V6

Postby RichD978 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:21 am

DatSRBoi wrote:Takes me 15 minutes do do oil change on my car.. Thats with watching the babes walking by :)

the old ladies doing morning jogs ?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/818696
VOTE FOR ME FOR SHOWOFF OF THE WEEK
RichD978
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby mmcdonald » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:11 am

There are no other places around here that do drive ups anymore hardly. Anyway, I have done literally thousands of them professionally. Maybe I am just tired of doing it.

What does "PM" mean?
DocJohn's Vacuum Trick
XM Tuner DIY
mmcdonald
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Horrible Dealer/Service Rants