[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Avoid Stevens Creek Toyota
Ever have a bad experience? Well here's the place to discuss things.

Avoid Stevens Creek Toyota

Avoid Stevens Creek Toyota

Postby krispykreme » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:04 pm

We negotiated a very good deal on 7/20/05 for a 2005 Camry LE V6. Signed the contract. But did not complete all the paper work as we did not furnish the insurance on time. So we agreed that we would bring a cashier check the following day and insurance to pick up the car.

Today we went to the dealership happliy to pick up the new car for my mother in law. Upon inspection we found out that the car has been damaged (minor, but it will require to be repainted). Of course we refused. Why would anyone want to buy a car that needs to have body part repainted (however minor it is).

We asked the dealer to give us another car on the lot with same option. The dealer refused. Instead for the next hour and half keeps on forcing us to take the damaged car. They keep on stating that the DMV paper work has been sent, they can't take the car back and give us a replacement (which is a lie, since you can't submit DMV paperwork without proof of insurance).

After three high-pressure attempt to force the damaged car down my throat (which we refused). We were told the leave that we are no longer worthy of a customer to Stevens Creek Toyota.

When does the dealer has the right to force a damaged car down the customer's throat? When does the dealer blow off customer with cashier check in hand, signed contract on the other? Especially when the customer is not at fault? It's not my fault that the dealer did not put the car in safe place and the car got damaged.

Why should i take damaged goods (no matter how minor it is)? Why can't I ask for another car that they had on the lot (same color, options i wanted)?

Anyway, STAY AWAY FROM STEVENS CREEK TOYOTA
krispykreme
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PhreakdOut » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:17 am

Sad story. There had to be some misunderstanding in there somewhere. They were so close on the sale of a vehicle.

The key to the issue is who had possesion of the car at the time of damage or discovery? The second question is who had title at the time.

Until delivery is made, where you are legally responsible for the car & you have full possesion & right of access to said vehicle, that car is in their possesion. It is the seller's responsibility to present the car in its original saleable condition. If this is not possible, then the contract is broken and open for renegotiation.

You as the buyer have every right to refuse the vehicle prior to taking delivery. Once you have made consideration (payment or signed off on the car to make payments), done the walkaround and been given the keys, then it's yours. At that point, damage to the vehicle while on dealer property is handled by their property insurance. The dealer does not have to give you a new car. (The deal is closed legally. Even if the paperwork is still on the dealer's desk) The car must be repaired and warranted like new.

The only loophole (I'm not sure if this is in every state) is that you are permitted somewhere between 24-48 hours to return the car in its original reasonable condition and decline the deal. This bill was drafted to protect consumers from falling prey to high pressure car salesmen and the fine print contracts. (I'm not fully versed on this so research it. I'm sure someone on this board who sells cars can help with that)

I don't know if you've spoken to the general manager of that dealer. If not, I recommend you make an appointment asking for 10 minutes of his or her time to discuss the experience. (Be curtious, objective and nonthreatening) Simply ask if this service is typical of that dealership or should you be talking to another dealer? (This opens the door for the GM to make it right.) If he closes that door, then you don't want to do business with them. Go to another dealer, kindly discuss the bad experience and ask them to help you. (Everyone wants to be a hero so you'll see a difference in the level of service.)

Best of luck in your situation.
Last edited by PhreakdOut on Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby WJN333 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:17 am

I hear you man. Be glad you found out before and refused the sale. Not saying what they did was excusable. Very unprofessional, not to mention incredibly rude. Another example of sub-par service.

In a fight with Capitol Toyota right now over painting the bumper for me. Got damaged before I bought it. Someone bumped it (lightly), did a shoddy repaint, now its flaking off. Should have known after I had to eat the cost of a new fog light ($230) and fender liner ($100) cause "Its accident damage". But it happened before i owned the car, they certified it, didnt disclose S@#$. Not to mention im still covered over the "Bumper to Bumper" 3 yr, 36,000 mile factory warranty. The one that helped me relax when i bought the car cause dont worry "everything is covered". Guess the front bumper isnt covered in that bumper to bumper warranty?!?! Good thing toyotas are so reliable, cause if they weren't and we had to deal with this sub standard service more often, they would be out of business. At any rate, I agree that BS.
WJN333
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PhreakdOut » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:31 am

PhreakdOut wrote:... Go to another dealer, kindly discuss the bad experience ...

LOL, I guess someone other than Stevens and Capital Toyota.

Jeeze! With NUMMI rght there, you'd think the dealers would be top notch in that area.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby krispykreme » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:42 am

I have not yet take delivery. The discovery was made when i arrived at dealer to do one more inspection, before I finished the rest of paper work (i.e. the insurance form, the delivery check list).

In other words, I still had not taken delivery of the car.

What pissed me off is that they left the car over night where people drop their car for service. I believe that the car was either damaged by technician opening the door of other car parked next to my car and left a big scratch on the rear passenger side door plastic trim ( the damage was not big, but very deep exposing the black plastic and actually punctured the plastic as well (3 holes)).

They could have prevented the damage by putting the car in more secure location. (they had a delivery area that is wide and most importantly no other car can park extreme close to my car.

The reason that I don't wanted a repainted body part is exactly what WJN333 has said. Bad paint job not only create color mis-match is also open the door for peeling. More over, for them to take off the side molding, they have to use a flat screw driver to pop it out. Which might result in scratching the paint on the metal part of the door, thus creating another issue.

Since it is their fault for not taking care of the car before i took delivery. I don't think I am asking too much for them to allow me to take another car with same option and start the paperwork. What bugs me the most that they had an identical color/option LE V6 in stock. I would be happily to take the other one with no damage home.

I think what really happened is that the when I made the deal, the deal they agreed to was way too low (about $700 cheaper than the lowest price that I have found on the paper). They were losing money and were simply looking for a way to get out of the deal by being obnoxious.
krispykreme
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PhreakdOut » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:00 am

krispykreme wrote:... I think what really happened is that the when I made the deal, the deal they agreed to was way too low (about $700 cheaper than the lowest price that I have found on the paper). They were losing money and were simply looking for a way to get out of the deal by being obnoxious.

This is highly possible. Dealers make almost nothing on the Camry unless they can dress it up with fluff packages or DIOs. (Dealer Installed Options)
-- The Phreak
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby krispykreme » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:09 am

PhreakdOut wrote:
krispykreme wrote:... I think what really happened is that the when I made the deal, the deal they agreed to was way too low (about $700 cheaper than the lowest price that I have found on the paper). They were losing money and were simply looking for a way to get out of the deal by being obnoxious.

This is highly possible. Dealers make almost nothing on the Camry unless they can dress it up with fluff packages or DIOs. (Dealer Installed Options)

What is ironic is that my mother in law (the actual owner of the car) was ready to go back to the financial office to negotiate on installation of after market navigation system and guide point (which I would have been more than glad to have them make up the $$$). We just never made it that far.
krispykreme
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Astro » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:23 am

Why not call Toyota corporate office and ask them what can be done to resove this. You have a signed contract, which I would feel is legally binding. Because you know you wouldn't be able to "throw away" you're contract if you were unhappy. So, it should be the same for them. Although, I don't think their obligated to give you a different car, they should fix all problems and have it warrantied. They should be able to back up their work. I would definately let Toyota corporate know that they told you that you're no longer worthy to be a customer of their dealership after being approved. I highly doubt Toyota would encourage this type of behavior. What sucks is, I think each dealership in kinda on their own in these situations so corporate might not do anything. :x
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby krispykreme » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:25 am

Toyota really blows in customer service.

I called toyota today for formally file a complaint. I was given a case number and a number to call for the factory rep at the dealer (Heather Tea- 408-984-1234).

I called heather. She states that I was returning the car and the dealer can only fix it for me or refuse the sale.

EXCUSE ME, WHEN DID I RETURN THE CAR?? I NEVER TOOK DELIVERY OF THE CAR! I NEVER FINISHED THE PAPER WORK. I NEVER SIGNED THE NAME ON THE DELIVERY CHECK LIST. NEVER SIGNED INSURANCE FORM. I DID NOT EVEN HAVE THE KEY OR ANYTHING FROM THE CAR ITSELF.

I can't believe that the dealer would be so twisted and lie like that.

I HAVE A VALID CONTRACT WITH SET PRICE FOR A CAR THAT WAS NOT DAMAGED. IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT THE DEALER DID NOT PUT THE CAR IN SECURE PLACE AND IT GOT DAMAGED. SO EITHER I TAKE THE DAMAGED CAR OR I AM SUPPOSE TO WALK AWAY.

WHAT KIND OF DEALERSHIP IS THIS? TOYOTA CORPORATION CAN'T DO A THING BECAUSE EACH DEALER IS INDEP OWNED. SO BASICALLY THE DEALER CAN SCREW THE CUSTOMER ANYWAY HE SAW FIT.

I AM DONE WITH TOYOTA. I AM GOING TO SUE THE CRAP OUT OF THE DEALER.
krispykreme
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Astro » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:39 pm

I'd look into sueing them. I believe you've got a strong case against them. But, the outcome may be only for the dealer to fix the damage or drop the contract...Man, but they should pay for saying that you're not worth of being a customer!
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Postby krispykreme » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:35 pm

Since I am done dealing with toyota and will go to another brand. I am going to lay more information out in the open.

Here is more detail on this.

I protected the dealership a little more than I told everone previously. I did not bother to disclose some other information initially on this board. But through out today I have been given the run around.

I actually caved and proposed the following yesterday before i was sent away.

1. They replaced the door molding with a brand new one. (I will not take a new car to have repainted body parts on it). As long as they don't botch up the replacement, I will go away happily.

2. If they don't want to replace the damage they caused, then give me another car.

They didn't want to do either. (READ MY LIP, NO REPLACEMENT PART ON THE DAMAGE THEY CAUSED, AND NO REPLACEMENT CAR).

I got a call from the general manager and talked to him. He states that he made the decision not to sell the car because he is afraid that he will get a nasty response on my survey. He can't take the risk on that. So he will not honor the deal we had in writting.

He states that he will arrange for another toyota dealer to take the deal. He gave me the contact of Piercey Toyota and asked me to call Antoine.

Fine, if he does not want to do the deal and want me to call else where and arranged the same deal. I will go there.

Called Antoinette up. Guess what, there was no deal in place. Antonitte told me, sorry can't do the deal. That was end of that.

At this time, I am done with toyota. I am simply going to help my MIL and buy her a BMW out of my own pocket. As bad as BMW dealer is with their service department, their sales are top notch.

I bend backward to allow they to fix the car, they declined ( i actually told them yesterday while going back and forth). I asked them if they don't want to replace the damaged strip, then they should give me another car from the lot. They refused again.

Toyota Corporate is useless.

And thank you all for showing the support.

I have filed a formal case with BBB for this. At this time I want nothing to do with toyota other than see that dealer burn in hell.

Through out the process I have been more than patient. I don't think i did anything wrong to ask them to replace the damaged part instead of re-painting it. I don't think I am wrong to ask them for another car since they won't replace the damage they caused.

I am through with Toyota.
krispykreme
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Astro » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:59 pm

Why would you shut out Toyota? They have nothing to do with this...This is ALL on the dealership! You're acting as if Toyota (as a whole) is responsible. Just remember is could of happened at ANY dealership. I'll bet if different Toyota dealerships were given this predicament, there would be different outcomes. I'll bet this sh*t happens all the time and manufacturers are tired of dealership problems!!!

Anyways, good luck on getting your MIL a new ride!!!
ImageImage
Astro

Postby krispykreme » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:44 pm

It's not all on the dealership.

Toyota could have stepped in an put pressure onto the dealer. Instead they choose to give me cash back and be apologetic about their inability to control their dealership.

There is a lot of way to do this (for example, toyota can slash Stevens Creek's hold back, or allocation). I know this business inside out. There are a lot of stuff that toyota could have done to make the dealer honest.

Instead they choose the easy way out. I have seen expansive dealer brought to their knees from corporate office.

Just because we bought a toyota (a common brand), does not mean toyota should not care to act the same way it treats its lexus dealership and franchises.

This is where i think Toyota also blows in this respect.
krispykreme
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby WJN333 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:02 pm

Sorry for all the run around. I totally understand why your leaving toyota. This customer service BS two step dance they do makes me crazy too. I hope you have better luck with BMW. As for myself, I love the two toyotas Ive owned. Great cars, but next time Im thinking Ill do the good consumer thing like you and shop around a little more.
WJN333
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Astro » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:22 pm

The bottom line is that all dealerships are PRIVATELY OWNED.
ImageImage
Astro

Next

Return to Horrible Dealer/Service Rants