[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Why do dealers give a hard time with warrantee work?
Ever have a bad experience? Well here's the place to discuss things.

Why do dealers give a hard time with warrantee work?

Why do dealers give a hard time with warrantee work?

Postby cablemn » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:25 pm

I don't understand it. maybe Jackass Jeff can shed some light on this subject. The last 3 new cars i've owned have had quirky problems that couldn't be fixed the first time around. It was up to me to do the research and find TSBs on the forums. Then when i present them with my proof they still fight it. Whats up with that? If i was a service writer i would thank the customer for taking the time to help find the problem. Instead they would rather do anything but.
I just brought my wifes Durango in for the A/C not working and told the writer about the tsb for it and he denied there was one. He said thats the first thing they check and then BAM! i hit him with a copy of the tsb.
He couldn't believe it. He said "wow, how could i have missed this?
They didn't however forget to remind me that as per scheduled service i should have my injectors cleaned and flushed for a nominal fee of $239.00
Sheesh.
cablemn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:25 pm

(from what i've heard from friends who write service tickets at dealership): Customers come in with a preconceived notion that a TSB they researched over the web automatically applies to them. Just because the website indicated 'certain' models had that TSB issued, customer believes that TSB is issued to all models across the board and to his car. I know from friends that this is 'one prime' thing that some customers find it hard to believe when a certain TSB doesn't apply to their VIN; afterall TSB's are issued to VIN's beginning from till (could be mid year production or over a course of few production years).

The thing is i hear both sides of the argument. But they shouldn't not believe you..unless proven otherwise. My experiences: I ususally take the print out and check with the service writer if that applies to my VIN, and if it does i'm in good shape..if not..i want him to note that problem (here i'm trying to expand the TSB to other production models years and include my car).
BTW: i took in a 1990 celica for an a/c recall issued in 1992...in 2002, Trust me...when i showed that recall and they researched my vin, it came out "OPEN" meaning service wasn't done. I loved the look on the service writers face!
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby MrMikeL » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:25 pm

Maybe this should be moved to the rants section?
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:59 pm

The warranty experience varies by dealer owner and dealer brand. It's dependant on the amount of work flowing through the dealer also. We can have a bad week and still make more than most dealers out there... so lets start on how it all works.

Recalls: All recalls should be handled on the spot assuming the VIN# applies. At the very least, the dealer should check your vehicle if it applies to the recall. It is at the CAR MAKER'S discretion to give you amenities for your inconvinience... Example: Lexus will give you a loan car (already a standard procedure) w/o appointment, a fuel fill up and a car wash (already standard).

TSB: A dealer can reject you if you do not have an appointment. If you have an appointment, the writer should check if your VIN number is applicable. Some TSBs will have ALL VIN NUMBERS BEFORE XXX APPLICABLE... while other TSBs will be MAY EFFECT VIN NUMBERS BEFORE XXX where the dealer will have to verify the problem before fixing it. An example would be the RX 330 dash rattle. It's a problem in some made in Japan but not applicable to all the cars. If the rattle is verified, then it is repaired on a diagnosed basis, not just a A-B-C done deal.

Non-specific warranty: Some dealers make money from warranty while others do not. Lexus pays us a good number of labor hours per job done at a good rate. We make tons off warranty work. Some dealers/brands (example Honda) pay the dealership crappy hours and a crap labor rate. My friend was being paid 3 hours to replace Accord transmissions... our techs make about 6 hours or so on warranty transmission replaced in an ES/RX. The dealer must drive your car and verify the problem exists and is persistant... if it's a once in a blue moon deal, expect the dealer to not duplicate the problem... You need to be as specific as possible when giving information regarding misc problems with the vehicle. The only non-tsb warranty I had done to the Solara was fog lamp condensation. THe first time I took it in, "Unable to verify guest's concern" while the 2nd time I was more specific (condensation when washing car) so they verified my concern and replaced it.

Since Lexus cars are so fking quiet, we get a lot of "what's this noise/that noise" ... and we can't verify it. Usually it's a rear differential sound that's normal or a injector noise/etc.... so we have sheets to help us 'milk information' from our guests... it helps us save time and helps the guest resolve their issues.

If anyone feels they are being fk'd around with, PM me the concern with your vehicle and I'll tell you exactly how to word it to the writer so it's taken care of correctly and promptly.
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Somedude » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:10 am

the dealer gives you a hardtime on the warranty issue because they are arse holes.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity,
but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power". -Abraham Lincoln
Somedude
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Horrible Dealer/Service Rants