[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Near DEATH brake disaster
Ever have a bad experience? Well here's the place to discuss things.

What should I do?

Sue
83%
Fix it somewhere else and forget about it.
No votes
Give them a chance to repair it
8%
Other
8%

Total votes : 12

Near DEATH brake disaster

Near DEATH brake disaster

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:08 pm

So I got my rotors turned at a Mobil service station on Vine and Santa Monica about a week ago and I notice on friday that the rotors were installed with the slots going the wrong direction I went to the shop to tell them to fix it and the mechanic told me to leave it 4 hours because he was booked I told him no can do and to fix it cause I felt that the brakes weren't safe. So 2 days go by and I'm driving to work today, I was boosting to pass a car in a (2 lane street) and I see the red light while I'm changing lanes about less than 1/4 mile ahead a pickup truck is waiting at the red light and I need to make a power stop. Well my brake pedal falls all the way through to the floor WTF??? I'm slowing down but I ain't stopping so I make a sharp turn to the other lane to avoid rear-ending the pickup and I manage to stop at the red light. I get out of the car in the middle of the street and check my front wheels to see WTF?? So now my brakes aren't working :( I step on them and they just fall through I saw the brake fluid was normal then 5 miles more I stop at a gas station to check it again and it went down to half??? I'm going to the dealership to fix my brakes and I'm thinking of taking legal action against those Mobil station MOFOS what do you guys think?
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Biggi_e » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:13 pm

get your moneys worth, glad your ok tho
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby sahuddleston » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:19 pm

u have a case... ive helped several guys on the forum with traffic violations... you can im me or pm me and id be happy to talk to you about your options.
2012 Ford Shelby GT500
2013 Hyundai Genesis 4.6

2002 Toyota Solara SE - First Turbo 2AZ-FE
sahuddleston
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby FreakinJARED » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:21 pm

whoa man...that's an insane area of traffic too. glad you're okay!!!
FreakinJARED
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Turbosolara » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:24 pm

do you need a police report backed up on that? good luck, i would say sue
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby dominoSLEV6 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:47 pm

I never have and never will trust a gas station that also does mechanic and auto repair work etc. It just doens't feel right to me, because at least down here most gas station attendants and owners wouldn't have the first clue about fixing your car, and it's just a paradigm in my head that gas stations are for gas and air in your tires, and maybe some oil or coolant, and that's about it as far as things for your car.

-chris
It will run one day, RPMs EVERYWHERE!
dominoSLEV6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:02 am

Not sure what you could sue for unless it's your money back and maybe a change of shorts. Unfortunately, unless it caused actual damage, injury or death, the courts will probably do little to back you up in a case like this. They're all about actual damages - regardless of how dangerous the defendant's neglegence was.

Best of luck though. They at least deserve a good "midnight egging" IMO! ;)
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:40 am

PXLpainter wrote:Not sure what you could sue for unless it's your money back and maybe a change of shorts. Unfortunately, unless it caused actual damage, injury or death, the courts will probably do little to back you up in a case like this. They're all about actual damages - regardless of how dangerous the defendant's neglegence was.

Best of luck though. They at least deserve a good "midnight egging" IMO! ;)

How about just getting my car fixed?
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:50 am

I think htat's going to be your only real course of action at this point. Have you spoken to the owner/manager of the station yet? Are they refusing to take care of it since this incident?
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Fratsgotasolara » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:04 am

id say he probably left a bleeder loose, and furter more when you take it to the dealer (hopefully on a flatbed) have them take pics of whatever they messed up, then try to negotiate something with them, no one wants bad pr, and lastly wtf man why go to a mobil coner shop for brakes, oh and the rotors being backwards just makes noise and doesn't allow them to expell the gasses efficiently or as efficiently as they were designed to
"You may not know me, But your girlfriend does!" -Delta Chi OSU
Fratsgotasolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby gone » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25 am

holy crap! that's gotta be scary. glad ur ok.I would definitely talk to stupidrunner54 if i were you and definitely make a case about this.its obviously there fault. i just hope they dont turn around and blame you since u knew something was wrong and u were driving with it anyway that they blame u. im not saying thats gona happen, but u never know.I'de go back to the shop if i were u and get loud if u have to lol
gone
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:21 pm

Follow up: I got my car checked at toyota of hollywood cost me 60 bucks :( they told me the master cylinder and the left rear brake line needed to be replaced. My rear drivers side SS brake hose broke and is leaking the stealership wants near 700 bucks to fix it. I'm going to buy the parts and get some mechanic to do it for 100 bucks; I'm also going back to rubber hoses. Damn the lowered Solara!
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:41 pm

i was going to tell you to explain what happened to the dealer. We have people go to outside shops and get screwed like that. We can document the case *if applicable* to state if the repair a joe's repairshop was done incorrectly and if it caused a safety hazard.
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Return to Horrible Dealer/Service Rants