[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Battery Dead after extended stay @ Dealer
Ever have a bad experience? Well here's the place to discuss things.

Battery Dead after extended stay @ Dealer

Battery Dead after extended stay @ Dealer

Postby gnegroni » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:19 pm

Well, I picked up my car yesterday after extreme delay of parts and service. My car was dropped around election day to have transmission work and perform the 60k service during that time. However, it took more than 1 1/2 months to complete work. Still, I'm not pissed off at that...

Here's the real problem: Deactivated car alarm and it sounded faint - car wouldn't start. The guy yesterday took a lot of time to bring me the car, apparently because he had 3 cars blocking mine and some wouldn't start. IT WAS MINE THAT WOULDN'T START.

Why would he lie to me, especially if that car battery is not covered in warranty? I guess the car spent so much time at the dealer, that if the battery was nearing its end, they killed it completely. F@kers should have told me something.

AARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I think my mistake was simply being overwhelmed that I was back driving my car (felt again as if I was driving it out of dealer brand new), after having to wait so much for it.

Anything I can do? Can I kick the little runts @ss at least? Also, what battery do I buy if its a dead battery problem? Engine was also cleaned so I can't rule out bad alternator.

PS Price for the 60k service was $350 and I only paid $80, so I'm not THAT pissed at service.
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby youngblood » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:23 pm

Unusual for an alternator to go so fast, but ya never know.
I personally would only go with a AC Delco battery. They last forever and I think you can find them without going through the dealer.
Toyota batteries are cool too if you have a hook up for one- otherwise $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Black 2004 Solara SLE V6
Green 2002 Camry LE I4
youngblood
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby panic » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Most likely reasons:
#1. they liked your car so much that one of them took it on vacation, which is why it took so long to get it back. Check your mileage, and check to see how many tickets it got.
#2. dead battery? Played your radio all day/every day.
#3. your old (good) battery is now in the mechanic's wife's car. Her (dead) battery is now in your car.
panic
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby gnegroni » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:23 pm

youngblood wrote:Unusual for an alternator to go so fast, but ya never know.
I personally would only go with a AC Delco battery. They last forever and I think you can find them without going through the dealer.
Toyota batteries are cool too if you have a hook up for one- otherwise $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

But aren't Toyota batteries bad (found some info using search function)?

panic wrote:Most likely reasons:
#1. they liked your car so much that one of them took it on vacation, which is why it took so long to get it back. Check your mileage, and check to see how many tickets it got.
#2. dead battery? Played your radio all day/every day.
#3. your old (good) battery is now in the mechanic's wife's car. Her (dead) battery is now in your car.

:o
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby campfire9 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:10 pm

I use Interstate batteries and have had great luck.

Regardless of which battery use choose always make a solution of baking soda and water to wash the battery. You will find that there is battery acid on the outside of the case.
Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another very expensive flying club.
campfire9
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby TLMNICK » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Interstate batteries are all I use....When my factory battery dies in my Solara, I'll be putting an interstate in there too.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:29 pm

actually
the stock battery is covered under warrenty....although its probably expired for u by now
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby gnegroni » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:36 pm

kingkakyle wrote:actually
the stock battery is covered under warrenty....although its probably expired for u by now

Well, I just performed the 60k mileage scheduled maintenance, but car actually has 65k miles.

One thing I DO know FOR SURE. I'm not buying the battery from them!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby gnegroni » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:29 am

Update:

Went to Autozone to have battery checked... Alternator fine (expected) but battery was barely hitting 8.2 volts.

8.2V = DEAD AND SUPERBLY DISCHARGED

I know the battery had it coming, but 8.2v?

Anyway, I purchased an Autozone Autolite Titanium battery - 2years replacement and 84 months prorrated, for about $95 including tax.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Horrible Dealer/Service Rants