[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Speaker recommendations?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Speaker recommendations?

Postby BadAngel » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:18 am

PXLpainter wrote:If I only had a Gen 1, then I'd probably consider swapping out the OEM HU - but the JBL in the Gen 2 with all the features and steering controls, etc... is more than adequate unless you're looking for HUGE sound or flashing lights or a Nav/DVD player.

Not everybody wants/needs that - I know I don't. I just want a good full sound and I don't need to rattle windows or set off car alarms to prove I've got a big dick either. :roll:

My advice is to do what YOU want to do - everyone has priorities and some are into audio, as you've seen by the responses here. You can put a lot of $$ into it so make sure you've got a good budget before you start or you'll be throwing more money away than if you planned big in the first place!

For me - I'm just going to upgrade my speakers and amp them but keeping my stock HU as well and keep it "stealth". A lot less likely getting my top cut open or windows smashed to yank out a 3rd party HU too! ;)

Stated perfectly.... Except he doesn't have the JBL system in has car lol... otherwise i would agree 100% What Prodigy is saying makes sense for this unique situation... because what he wants to do is so obscure lol... I am sure he COULD do it the way he wants to.... but it would be an expensive wiring mess... To switch out the fronts and leave the back and keep the original HU and amp would mean hes gonna have three amps in that car... The original one which would be running ONLY the rear speakers (waist of an amp). One for JUST the two front speakers... and then one for the sub-woofer. Thats just a wiring mess.... and your battery is going to want to kill you lol. It really does make most sense to get a new HU id you wanna replace the front speakers. If you don't want to do that, than ditch the entire stock amplifier, and get a four channel amp, and a sub amp and run the fronts and backs off of the four channel amp. And then proceed with w/e your gonna do with the sub and its amp.
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:59 am

Bro, the non-JBL system doesn't include a separate amp, it's internally powered by the headunit.

He also doesn't plan to run an aftermarket amp to his mids / highs, so he would still only have his sub amp and his regular headunit power.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby behrozec34 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:34 pm

I've done a little more research and I've changed my plan. I will be going with the 13W6v2 and a pdx 1.600 amp. I still need to consult with my installer about the whole deck thing. I'll probably get it done in the future if not in this install. I need to find out where to get one of those trim kits, or if I can get one built for me. As far as which deck I like, Im really feelin two of the Pioneer Premier units:

The 690: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/DEH-P690UB

The 600 (newer): http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/DEH-P600UB
Last edited by behrozec34 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
behrozec34
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby behrozec34 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:39 pm

I forgot to ask- What are the actual speaker sizes for our fronts? Most websites say 6.5's with a 4" mounting depth and some places i've seen 6x9's.
behrozec34
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby BadAngel » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:29 pm

oh lol i thought the non JBL had an amp too o.o.... What do i know lol i have the JBL so i know how that works...
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby blaK » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:17 pm

Get this!!!!!

DEH-P980BT

16-Band Graphic EQ
Hi-Volt (5V) Pre-Outs

Auto Time Alignment

DEH-P800PRS<------this is what I have :evilbat:

Dual (L/R) 16-Band Graphic EQ for unprecendented control
Auto Time Alignment adjusts for speaker placement and creates exceptional staging and imaging
Burr-Brown DACs for the purest sound
Hi-Volt (5V) Pre-Outs
WTF WITH ALL THE HUGE SIGS??????
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:14 pm

Your car has 6x9s all around stock. Several of us have fabricated plates to convert them to 6.5".

That's a very nice amp / sub combo, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

You can't go wrong with either of those Pioneers, they're great units with all the features you need, and then some.

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby behrozec34 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:43 pm

thanks! After i decide on the deck, the install should look real clean and classy. Stay tuned for my system in the future...
behrozec34
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5