[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Done w/ pics ! JBL Radio Replacement Interface
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Done w/ pics ! JBL Radio Replacement Interface

Postby Zogg » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:48 am

Sebas007 wrote:
[SMAN] wrote:
Sebas007 wrote:Thanks guys for this info. It apperas to be a bit difficult to me since I didn't make the connection myself...maybe Sean we could take a look when I'll be in Massachussets ! Why not ! ;)

By the way I read that the sub-wires need to be cross-over to prevent any damage blablabla...

Just get yourself some real amps and speakers and stop complaining :lol:

You focker !! ;) :P

I just want my setup to be functionnal without any issues. I think it might be possible as Mr. Z told it.

LOL I'm not really an audiophile, I just want something that sounds okay. The JBL was good enough but not with the JBL amp interface unfortunately.

Okay, showing my ignorance here, what does "the sub wires need to be cross-over" mean? Is there some difference between the JBL amp sub output and that of other units such as a Kenwood HU?

And really, this isn't too hard. Right now your setup goes Kenwood->JTA->JBL Amp->Speakers (mine was Kenwood->Scoshe JTA->JBL Amp->Speakers) but after using this bypass cable it goes Kenwood->Speakers. You eliminate the JTA and then this harness eliminates the JBL Amp.

Thanks,
Z
Zogg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:59 am

I just want to know what you received when you bought the Metra 70-8117...from what I'm reading it is only power wires no RCA...do I'm right ??
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Zogg » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:15 pm

The kit came with 2 harnesses.

One harness for power, only 4 wires. Goes between the stereo and the factory power cable.

The other harness is for the speakers, either 12 or 14 wires. Goes from the stereo to the JBL amp, where you unplug the big cable bundle from the amp and plug it into the end of the Metra harness.

The Metra speaker harness doesn't have any connectors on the end that goes to the stereo, you have to put connectors on the wires or just solder them to the wiring that came with the stereo.

Z
Zogg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Yeah this amp bypass isn't exactly rocket science (however you will need to run some sub RCAs out to there for your sub and i don't know if that will need to be spliced or not since i don't have a jbl amp to look it. The issue here is power, the amp puts out more power than your deck will (usualy) so thus you'll be underpowering your speakers. I don't know about the sub cause it sounds like it has it's own amp, but if it doesn't your going to be SOL on using it. What can happen, and i know with the last 2 kenwood decks i've had, any volume usualy over 25 has sever distortion and causes clipping. I could clearly see this during SPL competitions on the meter. So in a sense, you'll be downgrading your audio by bypassing the amp. And for those wondering what a crosover is, it's basicly a method of filtering out frequency ranges so that you eliminate the ones the speaker isn't designed to play. Most amps have these built in, the kenwood deck has it too if i remember correctly. Allthough they are usualy not as good as a nice external adjustable one. Anyways we can look at it when you come up (assuming were still good for that), and depending on how much free time and spare money i have lying around, i might have my system all instlaled and fiberglassed. Anyways the amp bypass shouldn't take more than an hour to install, usualy less.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:48 pm

[SMAN] wrote:Yeah this amp bypass isn't exactly rocket science (however you will need to run some sub RCAs out to there for your sub and i don't know if that will need to be spliced or not since i don't have a jbl amp to look it. The issue here is power, the amp puts out more power than your deck will (usualy) so thus you'll be underpowering your speakers. I don't know about the sub cause it sounds like it has it's own amp, but if it doesn't your going to be SOL on using it. What can happen, and i know with the last 2 kenwood decks i've had, any volume usualy over 25 has sever distortion and causes clipping. I could clearly see this during SPL competitions on the meter. So in a sense, you'll be downgrading your audio by bypassing the amp. And for those wondering what a crosover is, it's basicly a method of filtering out frequency ranges so that you eliminate the ones the speaker isn't designed to play. Most amps have these built in, the kenwood deck has it too if i remember correctly. Allthough they are usualy not as good as a nice external adjustable one. Anyways we can look at it when you come up (assuming were still good for that), and depending on how much free time and spare money i have lying around, i might have my system all instlaled and fiberglassed. Anyways the amp bypass shouldn't take more than an hour to install, usualy less.

Cool...just tell PM me when you willl have enough free time (no car contest nor big exam to study for...) ;) Spring is coming soon...the new rims too ! :)
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Re:

Postby NewShockerGuy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:30 pm

[SMAN] wrote:Yeah, like i said in my PM, i got my Factory Nav trim bezzel from Reggie. And as for those harnesses, those are for the digital amps. I couldn't remember when they switched to digital, but i thought it was only in the 07+ because otherwise an 04 factory JBL radio wouldn't work in an 06. What year is your car anyways?

I just ordered the OEM navigation panel. Are there gaps on the sides since the OEM navi is wider than an aftermarket?
I wasn't sure if I could use my oem radio brackets so I ordered the receiver (nav) brackets along with the nav screen panel... all the other non oem ones look bad to me since they are either not the correct silver or they bulge in areas...

I found something like this that might take up the slack in the sides?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J ... QO8C&psc=1

This listing on Ebay looks to be just like an oem panel and with the above...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-Rad ... %7Ciid%3A1

Thanks,
-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5