[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - All gen 2's with navi systems
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

All gen 2's with navi systems

Pics of Gen 2 Nav W/ Alpine Deck Too

Postby hax311 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:23 am

Dude,

The Doors?! Bad-Ass!!!

HaX
hax311
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:22 am

Excellent job. How is the IPod attached in the position it is shown in and does it get in the way of the shifter at all?
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

How is the Ipod Attached

Postby hax311 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:22 pm

The Ipod isn't attached to anything. I usually drop it in the cupholder with something my wife got herself (I borrowed it forever) from belkin that fits inside the holder, with a suction cup, that holds the pod. I think belkin made it.

The Ipod is directly connected to the radio, Not RF, or AUX. The deck controls the pod. I am going to take the car to my office, and take more pics tonight so if you want to see more, let me know, and I will give you the pics you want
hax311
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:50 pm

How is the IPOD directly connected to the radio? In your pic, it looks like the IPOD is resting on something to prop it up in that location. What did you put in that lower storage area to hold the radio and XM radio? Nice to know the Belkin IPOD holder fits nicely in the SOlara's cup holder. Would like to see a pic of the Ipod mounted that way if you could.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

How'd he do that.

Postby hax311 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:02 pm

I will get a pic tommorow of the cup holder thingie.

Never the less, my deck is an alpine desk, and alpine sells a direct connect unit that works in their newer decks.

Here is an image of what the flow is

Image[url][/url]

As for what the radio is in, I fabricated the unit myself. If you want one, parts, time, labor were about 100.00. Let me know and I can make you one too.
hax311
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Down2TheC » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:43 pm

You had to know there'd be a flurry of Qs with such a sweet rig...
How about the other side of the stereo. Did you take over the audio from the NAV? I'm assuming your tunes are all through the alpine now with the NAV cut off from the speakers? Considering you have XM and iPod, no loss there. Are you using the factory amp or going direct from the Alpine?

My big hangup is that I don't want to give up the wheel controls. Your rig still works the NAV unit but does nothing for the tunes, right?

Wicked rig man! You are the tune master.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Re: How'd he do that.

Postby slingshot » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:23 pm

hax311 wrote:I will get a pic tommorow of the cup holder thingie.

Never the less, my deck is an alpine desk, and alpine sells a direct connect unit that works in their newer decks.

As for what the radio is in, I fabricated the unit myself. If you want one, parts, time, labor were about 100.00. Let me know and I can make you one too.

How much was that IPOD direct connect unit? Does it attach to the bottom of the IPOD or the headset jack?
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:25 am

has to be the data port or it couldn't control the tunes.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

POD Stuff

Postby hax311 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:45 am

The unit was 199.95, and I got it from crutchfield. It connects using the data port. The radio controls the pod and charges it too when it's plugged in, and the module is running.

Regarding the hand controls on the wheel. A little bit of curiosity, come cables, and a big help from friends, we were able to connect an outside device to control the alipine using the toyota hand controls. The box to do this was 99.95.

In the car, I have the Nav, Radio, Changer, IPOD, XM, and Sirius all directly connected. Nothing RF about it.
hax311
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ndoyank » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:50 pm

nice setup... did you purchase the navi system stock or after? I'm looking to do something similar. Kenwood had a double din dvd player that I was looking to buy. I wonder if Totyoa sell that kit so it would fit the player.
18' volks, TRD RSB, TRD FSTB, TRD springs, HID retrofit. Micheal T's Grille ..... Silver ICE
ndoyank
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Nav

Postby hax311 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:17 am

The nav unit was stock.
hax311
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Stock Navi + DVD + TV Tuner

Postby L.A.solaraman » Mon May 02, 2005 9:13 pm

Hey,

Well, I looked into the info that Mike I. put up about the Viewtech controller... and... it looks promising. Hopefully I will recieve mine in a few weeks, and I'm going to have a DVD player and TV tuner hooked up to it (I have the stock Navi). I went to several car audio stores to see what else was out there, and they all suggested that I replace my unit with the Eclipse unit... for over $2000. Al & Ed's were the most helpful. I showed them the controller (online) and the manager was stoked. I told him that I would bring in the controller when I received it, and he said he would give me a good deal on the DVD and tuner, and install it all... He is trying to get ahold of several of the controllers so that he can sell them. I told him that I'd find out if there was interest from others with solaras, and get back to him. So post if you're interested... I'll post later what he's going to charge me. Several other car audio stores were interested,but they seemed to lack the understanding of the controller, also I'd prefer a professional install.

I'm excited about adding a DVD player and TV tuner to my solara with minimal cost.

what do you guys think??
2004 OP/sle
L.A.solaraman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby mikei » Tue May 03, 2005 10:02 pm

Very, very pimped!!!!!!!

Please keep us informed.

Mike I. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2005 Solara SLE V6 Convertible-Silver
VSC/TRAC/NAV/XM Sat/Mudflaps/Clear license plate covers/Bug deflector/Glass breakage sensor/SS Door Sills/Eclipse backup camera
Japan voice-mic/Everything TRD
mikei
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby L.A.solaraman » Mon May 09, 2005 6:48 pm

Thanks...
well, here is the update...

I just purchased a DVD player with a built in TV tuner. Its the Blaupunkt DVD ME3. I got if for a good price from FRY's Electronics for just over $200 (it was $179 plus taxes and an extended warranty). I tested it out on my home TV and the DVD and TV tuner work great. Now I just have to wait for the Viewtech Controller to arrive so I can have it all installed. The Blaupunkt unit is larger than some available, but it will fit under the passenger seat without obstruction or being damaged by the movement of the seat.

So... I will update with further info once the install is done... it should be a few weeks!
2004 OP/sle
L.A.solaraman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby mikei » Mon May 09, 2005 8:43 pm

Where are you going to mount the TV antenna?

Mikei :lol: :lol: :lol:
2005 Solara SLE V6 Convertible-Silver
VSC/TRAC/NAV/XM Sat/Mudflaps/Clear license plate covers/Bug deflector/Glass breakage sensor/SS Door Sills/Eclipse backup camera
Japan voice-mic/Everything TRD
mikei
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

PreviousNext

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5