[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Which head unit is better?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Which head unit is better?

Which head unit is better?

Postby 04SolaraGirlie » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:54 am

I'm looking at 3 different head units, out of the three which one would you guys say has the best quality another factor which is better sirius or xm?

JVC KD-SHX900
Sony CDX-M990
Clarion DXZ945MP

What do y'all think? Also advice on best sound quality speakers and subs...
2004 Toyota Solara SE, 4 banger 5 speed. Bought on 3-24-2005.
04SolaraGirlie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cam2Xrunner » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:07 am

What's your budget for the entire system? Are you building it all at once, or one part at a time.

Out of those CD players the Clarion is defintely the way to go. But you might not need that much of a CD player. Depending on your budget I can show you some things to look at.
cam2Xrunner
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 04SolaraGirlie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:14 am

I was leaning towards the clarion anyways, it's the middle priced one and I heard clarion is pretty high quality... I'd love to hear some tips on speakers amps etc... I'll be buying it all seperate, so my budget is kinda irrelevent, I just want something that will sound clean and be REALLY loud! 8)
04SolaraGirlie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dvdchris45 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:02 pm

MY cousin who recently did my car audio recommends the new linup of Disel Audio products www.dieselaudio.com I myself have a Diesel amp and it works just perfect. Their head units mimic the Alpine head unit's design but have a much more ergonomically practical in use and also support mp3 playback.
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>Injen + Magnaflow </i>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cam2Xrunner » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:39 pm

04SolaraGirlie wrote:I was leaning towards the clarion anyways, it's the middle priced one and I heard clarion is pretty high quality... I'd love to hear some tips on speakers amps etc... I'll be buying it all seperate, so my budget is kinda irrelevent, I just want something that will sound clean and be REALLY loud! 8)

1st thing I can reccomend is check out www.elitecaraudio.com It's a very good forum with alot of knowledgeable people there.

I know you say your budget is kinda irrelevent, but there's stuff out there that gets REALLY exspensive.

Also alot of how well your system will turn out depends on the installation. One of the most noticeable things that will make any sound system sound better is Sound Deadening. Stopping all the panels from resonating and rattling will make it sound better by stopping unwanted rattles and distortion, and putting in sound barrier foam, it will help to block out road noises. This is very labor intensive but dramatically improves the overall sound quality of the system, as well as making the car more comfortable and enjoyable.

I take it you're not into modifying the car for pure speed, so you probably won't be too worried about adding weight to the car right? If so look into getting some deadening mat. My favorite is edead V1.se(also known as Dynamat Extreme) But it's like 1/4th the cost.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product.php ... 25&cur=USD
http://www.edesignaudio.com/forum_discount.php
^20% off discount codes

As for what equipment to buy, it's kind of hard to reccomend what equipment to purchase without knowing what the actual budget is. Throw a number at me(the total of what you are willing to spend) and I'll give you some suggestions as to what to buy first, piece by piece.

As a reference point my sound system will end up costing me a total of around 4k not including the CD player(planning on doing an in car computer with a 10.4" screen instead of a CD player)

Now you don't need to spend that much to get a great sound system, I can put together a very good sound system for about 1,500 including cd player, amps, front components, subs, enclosure, wiring and deadener. Of course figuring you are installing everything yourself.

I do install on the side if you'd like, but I do very good work, and not exactly cheap, but I can guarentee you an excellent install.

Here's some more info on sound proofing, to get an idea of what you'd be dealing with.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t64909.html
cam2Xrunner
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 04SolaraGirlie » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:28 pm

1500-2k sounds like a pretty good number, but I know nothing about installing and will have to get it done... I can probably set aside 500 bucks a month give or take, keep in mind my car pmnt is 477 a month and my insurance is 120, not to mention my rent and utilities and credit cards LOL but I would say once I flush this last $1000 dollars down the toyota of escondido toilet for the remainder of my down payment :drinking: , and pay my down payment for my insurance (around $300) :drinking: :drinking: I can probably start getting serious some time in the middle of next month. Probably after the 20th cuz that's when I get my draw check from work... I don't want any screens or computors right now, just a high quality head unit and some nice speakers (inc. amp/subs) the sound deadening does sound like a good idea though... Thanks for your help...
04SolaraGirlie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 04SolaraGirlie » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:30 pm

where in so cal are you located? I'm in escondido to be exact... Maybe you could do my install stuff for me?
04SolaraGirlie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cam2Xrunner » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:07 pm

OK with 2k this is what I would do.

Headunit-Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
http://www.electronicsbonanza.com/comer ... 60MP&src=g

Front speakers DLS Iridium 6.2
http://www.dls.se/english/speakers/Iridium62.htm

Sub- Image Dynamics IDMAX12
http://imagedynamicsusa.com/products_pa ... x&type=sub

Enclosure-Custom Built by Marv 1.5 cb ft sealed.

Amps- (2) Phoenix Gold TI600.2 one for front components, the other bridged to send 600+ watts rms to the IDMAX.

That will run about 2k and will sound incredible.

Or for amps, instead of going with the two phoenix gold amps, you could wait for this amp
http://www.zedaudio.com/Products/New-Amplifiers.htm

That's what I'm planning on going with. It's 175 watts rms X 4

Run the front two channels for the components and the rear channels bridged will give you 700 watts rms to the IDMAX.

Either way you go you will be about 2k in equipment and will have one HELL of a sound system.

It will have awesome sound quality and get louder than you can stand, while staying clean.
cam2Xrunner
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 04SolaraGirlie » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:03 pm

:onfire: dang milt you shure are a $hit talker...:onfire:
:lol: hehehe
04SolaraGirlie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cam2Xrunner » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:09 pm

04SolaraGirlie wrote::onfire: dang milt you shure are a $hit talker...:onfire:
:lol: hehehe

He's just jealous cuz you got the new and hottest. :drinking:
cam2Xrunner
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 04SolaraGirlie » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:42 am

I looked into the image dynamics sub the other day and it was $499 :crazyeyes: I found one on ebay brand new for $250 I'm gonna buy it next week prolly, now that my last $1000 for my down payment is done... Then I'll buy the head unit, maybe around the 20th of next month, then the amp following not to far behind...
04SolaraGirlie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cam2Xrunner » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:47 pm

250 brand new is pretty good, I know you can get them from an unauthorized dealer for like 299.00 online. Just remember that you won't have any warranty on the sub if you buy it from an unauthorized dealer.

Cardomain is the only authorized online dealer.
cam2Xrunner
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 04SolaraGirlie » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:57 pm

Yah I saw that, but if a better deal can be had I'm gonna take it, whether it has a warranty or not...
04SolaraGirlie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:55 pm

No Eclipse? =\
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5