[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - what kind of box?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

what kind of box?

what kind of box?

Postby scis30 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:16 pm

right now i have 2 audiobahn 12'' subs and i have a ported box, it sounds good but its a huge box and takes up a ton of trunk spcace, i was considering getting a sealed box but was wondering how it would sound........any one have advice or input?
SOLARAGUY PART 2
i'm baaack
scis30
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby theprodigy79 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:03 pm

It's all in the quality of the box... you can build / buy a crappy sealed box and it will sound horrible, or you can build a good quality sealed box to the sub specs and it will sound excellent. The smaller the sealed box, the higher the SPL and punch but the less the "roll-off" on the lows... The larger the sealed box, the lower the SPL and punch but the smoother the roll-offs. In general, when moving from a ported box to a sealed box (assuming both boxes are of good quality build) you will lose around 3db (approx with two 12"s) and lose some efficiency, but gain power handling and gain clarity / tighter bass response... Ported enclosures are more "efficient" down to their tuning frequency, and also allow more air agitation than sealed (you get more resonance around the tuning frequency)...

All in all, with two 12"s, the most noticable differences will likely be a slight loss in SPL and punch of the subs but a gain in tightness and roll throughout the entire musical spectrum. Sealed enclosures are good general enclosures overall, and they are very simple to build a good one. Either way, if you build or buy one, make sure it meets the specs of the subs. Also, take a little extra time to seal the seams of the box with some wood glue, spray paint the interior of the box, and stuff it around half to 3/4 full with poly fluff (synthetic pillow stuffing, easily found at Walmart or wherever).

Good luck,

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Aotoyota » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:00 pm

Sealed has always been my choice for SQ. but depends on what u want to do. I have a my sub in a fiberglassed enclosure in the corner of the trunk on the passenger side. running an IDQ12 with about 350w. hits fast and quick bass.

fyi...the car's resonance is approx 40hz so if ur looking for crazy bass get a ported tuned to 38~40hz. plus BOXES of dynamat or sound deadening
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5