[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - VAISTECH AIC100i
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

VAISTECH AIC100i

Postby cklinh » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:32 pm

Here's a little hint, if you're planning on putting the Sirius in the front lower compartment...

The bottom of the compartment is covered by a rubber mat... I removed the mat and drilled a hole so that when I place the mat back, it'd cover the hole... You can barely tell that the hole is even there.
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Dirtywater » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:34 pm

cklinh wrote:Here's a little hint, if you're planning on putting the Sirius in the front lower compartment...

The bottom of the compartment is covered by a rubber mat... I removed the mat and drilled a hole so that when I place the mat back, it'd cover the hole... You can barely tell that the hole is even there.

Nice, I didn't think of that, though, if you cover the holes, how do the wires come through, lol?

I am putting the Sirius unit in that compartment, but if I drill the hole in the back bottom part (opposite side from the power adaptor port) I guess the mat will ift up a bit and still be hidden. Great idea!

Thanks.
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:25 am

Make sure the big hole is right on the edge, so it kinda peeks through...
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Down2TheC » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:35 am

Check my AUX2CAR pics in the tutorial if you don't want to drill holes. (last shots) You can route them between the plastic so they appear within the compartment without mucking up the door or drilling. They do appear at the opening though which might not be what you want.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Dirtywater » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:21 pm

hey cklinh

I am intalling this weekend, any advice on what kind of double sided tape to get and where to get it?

thanks

dw
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:15 pm

any old ones should work. the thing is very light. I got the foam type double sided tape.
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby siennasc98 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:18 pm

Check out this holder/mount, you might like it.
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/TY-55-99.pdf

I have the similar holder for my iPod on my Sienna.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d22/Sienn ... C05279.jpg
siennasc98
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Dirtywater » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:45 pm

SUCCESS!!!

Well, today my buddy and I installed the Vais unit and Sirius! I am so happy and $500 richer. :D

Thanks to down2thec, rduke and everone else on this great board. But a GIANT thank you to cklinh.

Install was as easy as advertised and only one small drill hole. I will post pics soon.

:P
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dirtywater » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:47 am

OK, soI went in and put in Neutral, then removed the center console

Then I removed the center compartment/heated seats. This just came off if you pulled the clips hard enough. Again, very easy.

Knowing that I would need to drill into this, I took it out. Easy, jus unplug everything that was plugged into it.

Here is a good shot of what it looks like in there now that the center compartment is out. You can reach up to the back of the Nav on the right side. I did this and plugged the VAIS into it.

I then snaked the iPod hookup through the back and into the glove compartment where I will be keeping the iPod.

After hooking up the iPod and Sirius to the VAIS unit and testing them both to verify they work, I put the VAIS unit in back and attachted it with double sided foam tape and plastic wire ties.

Now for the drilling. Since I would need to have 2 wires go into the center compartment, I drilled a small hole on the top of the compartment allowing the antenna and audio wire to come through the top. This way it is clean and you can't see the drilled hole.

Now the wires seem to come from nowhere inside the center compartment

Here is a shot of the Sirius unit now connected to the Nav/Radio. I will eventually make it look nicer, but for now it works great.

Again, very easy to do and I saved a ton of money doing it myself. Thanks again to everyone for their tutorials and advice.

DW
Last edited by Dirtywater on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Ipod interface with 2006 Gen 2 Navi and XM

Postby masksav » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:38 am

How did the sat unit and the interface connect to the nav/radio? How's it working? I've tried 3 different units that share the same plug(CD Changer on the back of the Nav via a Y Cable) and I get the same results I can hear the XM playing in the background when trying to listen to the I-pod.
P.S. Nice install!
masksav
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Ipod interface with 2006 Gen 2 Navi and XM

Postby Dirtywater » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:14 am

masksav wrote:How did the sat unit and the interface connect to the nav/radio? How's it working? I've tried 3 different units that share the same plug(CD Changer on the back of the Nav via a Y Cable) and I get the same results I can hear the XM playing in the background when trying to listen to the I-pod.
P.S. Nice install!

Well, I used the VAIS unit. It has two inputs, one specifically for the iPod to be used through the Nav, and a seperate Aux input to which anything else can be plugged in. I obviously chose Sirius.

By pressing Mode on the steering wheel it changes inputs in the following order: AM - FM - FM2 - CD - iPod - CD - Sirius and then repeats. Also, you can press CD on the Nav to cycle between the CD/iPod/CD/Sirius.

There is zero interference or bleeding of any other signal. Sound is perfect, loud and amazing. Maybe you are getting bleeding because you are splitting the signal with a cable while in my case the VAIS unit does the splitting.

Also, FYI, the VAIS unit is expensive (around $400-$500) but I got in on one of the group buys on the Prius/Sienna forums and got it for about $220. If you do go this route I highly reccomend getting in on the next group buy.

Thanks for the install props. Couldn't have done it without the people here.
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Ipod interface with 2006 Gen 2 Navi and XM

Postby masksav » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:52 am

Thanks for the tip on the group buy. I did a quick search and came up empty. Anyone know of a group buy going on now?
masksav
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dirtywater » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:53 am

masksav wrote:Thanks for the tip on the group buy. I did a quick search and came up empty. Anyone know of a group buy going on now?

Check these forums (you may have to register to search for "vais" and/or "group buy")

siennaclub.org

priusonline.com

Those are the forums that do group buys alot.
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby masksav » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:42 am

No Luck there....
If anyone knows of a group buy let us know.
I'll buy one right now!
masksav
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby masksav » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:37 pm

I just picked up one on the Group buy that ended yesterday $209.00 + S&H Hope this works as good as yours....
masksav
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5