[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - VAISTECH AIC100i
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

VAISTECH AIC100i

VAISTECH AIC100i

Postby L.A.solaraman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:01 am

Hey, for all of you who were in the group buy for the i-pod adaptor for our car from VAISTECH, the AIC100-i, please reply with any and all info you have on the product after receiving it.

How long did it take you to get it?
How easy was it to install?
and most importantly... How well does it work????

Thanks!
2004 OP/sle
L.A.solaraman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:50 pm

Just received mine... took me about half an hour to install... but then again, I've already installed two of these types of iPod adapters as well as a backup camera, so I'm very familiar with getting to the back of the Navi.

Works GREAT! Only snag I had was that I had to set it in "CD-Changer" mode as opposed to the default "MD-Changer" mode... that took all of 5 minutes to figure out, and 30 seconds to do...

I love the text... (although of the two lines, one line is the name of the playlist, and the other line by default shows the song name, you can push a button to cycle to artist and album). If you put it on random, you don't have to worry about the 99 playlist/99 song per playlist limit.

Definitely worth the $240 for me... especially if I can recoup some costs by selling my previous iPod adapter (see Gen 2 For Sale for more info).
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Dirtywater » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:02 am

Bah, I got in on the Prius deal, sent my info 3 minutes after the guy from VAIS sent me the email and he never contacted me again. Was suppossed to start calling on Oct. 19th and weeks later I have yet to hear from him.

Almost seems scam-like, though I never gave any credit card info so it is not.

Bummer, thought the guy would honor it and call for the info.
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:28 am

For the record, I received the call middle of last week. Maybe you should email him again?
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Dirtywater » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:01 pm

cklinh wrote:If you put it on random, you don't have to worry about the 99 playlist/99 song per playlist limit.

Just ordered mine from the Prius deal. Glad to see they honored my request.

All I want is pure random and I thought there was no way to get it Cklinh. How do you put it on Random to achieve a true shuffle of all songs?

Thanks.
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:08 pm

It was on one of the Prius Forums...
But just have a playlist full of all your songs, set the headunit on shuffle and it will go through all the songs in your playlist.
You just hit the "RAND" key (at least on my navi you do).

CAVEAT... it'll recognize the correct text for the first 99 songs, the 100th song will have no song information, and the 101th song will have the song information for the 1st song, 102nd song will have information for the 2nd song... etc... (ie, it only picks out the song information for the first 99 tracks, although it will keep playing after that).

So, I usually just switch playlists when I realize the names are incorrect... that'll fix the song information being wrong.
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Dirtywater » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:29 am

Well, I got my VAIS, got my Sirius (to plug into the Aux input), got the ground loop isolator and the cable from the Sirius to the Aux and I went down to Al & Ed's in Sherman Oaks.

When I spoke to them earlier they said installation was $100/hour and then quoted me a price of $500 to install. $500!!!!!! :evil:

What con artists.

I have no experience at anything like installing this, so what other options would you guys advise for me to get all this hooked up?

thanks.

DW
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:59 am

If you don't wanna pay, look up the tutorials and do it yourself...

Everyone is inexperienced once...

It is VERY simple to make the connections... and relatively simple to remove your headunit once you know what to pull on (see tutorials)
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Dirtywater » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:12 pm

cklinh wrote:If you don't wanna pay, look up the tutorials and do it yourself...

It is VERY simple to make the connections... and relatively simple to remove your headunit once you know what to pull on (see tutorials)

I have only found tuts on the prius, do you have a link to the solara tut?

thank you.
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dirtywater » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:37 pm

cklinh wrote:If you don't wanna pay, look up the tutorials and do it yourself...

OK, I found these tuts, but I don't think they are Nav tuts.

http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=12818

http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=15765

So, if you have done this, do I semi-remove the nav unit to get behind it, or do I reach my hand back there to connect it. Also, where did you put the actual VAIS unit? Did you use ties to keep in place or something else?

Sorry to continually bug you on this, but I am going to try it myself.

thanks.
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:42 pm

It's the same directions to get to the back of your headunit. I took the Navigation out so I can see behind (I had no idea what was back there when I did it).

It's up to you... you can feel around for it first before deciding on whether you want to remove the Navi... it's just held on by four bolts.

As for the unit itself, once you open up the dash where the lower compartment is, you'll see that there's tons of room down there. I used some double sided tape and taped it to the side of the inside "wall".
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Dirtywater » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:51 pm

cklinh wrote:It's the same directions to get to the back of your headunit. I took the Navigation out so I can see behind (I had no idea what was back there when I did it).

It's up to you... you can feel around for it first before deciding on whether you want to remove the Navi... it's just held on by four bolts.

As for the unit itself, once you open up the dash where the lower compartment is, you'll see that there's tons of room down there. I used some double sided tape and taped it to the side of the inside "wall".

Awesome!!

OK. I have 2 pics that show the back of the Nav, so I may not need to take it out because I know which port to plug it into.. The instructions seem easy enough in the VAIS manual, so then my next question would be, where do you have your iPod connector in your Solara, in the storage compartment under the climate control area, or in the cup holder area?

Did you need to drill any holes? I may because I am hooking up Sirius as well and will need to have wires going into that storage compartment under the climate control.

Should be a fun project. You have inspired me to do this, lol.

last question... any new rattles after you installed everything?
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dirtywater » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:40 am

In reading the instructions, I have one question for the hook-up.

I assume I plug the "To the Head Unit" into the CD Changer port, but where/what is the "To the Factory Audio Harness" plug? Is that already going into one of the ports, like the Power/Ground/amp/ignition port? Or do I not need to plug that into anything. The instructions are semi vague.

Sorry for being such a pain, just that I want to get this right.

Thanks for all your help.

DW
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:21 am

Ignore the "to the factory audio harness"... I can't remember exactly, but I think that is unused. I think it's for when you have something else plugged in already...

As for ipod placement, my first two adapters, I had it in the lower compartment. Yes I had to drill a hole. But with the new system, since I never have to look at the ipod screen, I just routed the cable to the glove compartment and left my ipod there. No drilling necessary.
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Dirtywater » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:20 pm

cklinh wrote:Ignore the "to the factory audio harness"... I can't remember exactly, but I think that is unused. I think it's for when you have something else plugged in already...

As for ipod placement, my first two adapters, I had it in the lower compartment. Yes I had to drill a hole. But with the new system, since I never have to look at the ipod screen, I just routed the cable to the glove compartment and left my ipod there. No drilling necessary.

Cool, thanks for all your help. I will mainly leave it in Simple Mode, so I think I will do the glove box thing too since I can change songs via the steering wheel. I will most likely have to drill a hole for the Sirius connection though.

I am going to attempt this soon with a buddy of mine who has installed car stereos in the past, so I will document it and post pics of each step so it will hopefully help others down the road.

Thanks again.
Dirtywater
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5