[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - in-dash dvd player question...
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

in-dash dvd player question...

in-dash dvd player question...

Postby awesomeapproved » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:47 am

Hi,

I think it is a great idea that most if not all in-dash DVD players do not display a DVD movie unless the vehicle is in Park... but while driving can I at least listen to a DVD? I mean, will the audio portion still play?

If anyone has any input on this, I'd appreciate the information.

Thanks!
AA
awesomeapproved
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:49 am

I think it's possible since some people have a ton of monitors that all run off the main HU, but there's also a thing called the Black Box that could override the necessity of keeping it in Park.
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby awesomeapproved » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:20 am

Thanks for the info. I guess I am more interested in just ascertaining whether or not in-dash systems will continue to play audio when a vehicle is not in park, or if the whole dvd stops playing altogether. I guess I am not looking into a full override sort of thing as I know myself better than to think that the audio and video of a dvd is playing while I drive is a good idea. It is in fact a bad idea! :D

I just want the audio to play...

Thanks,
AA
awesomeapproved
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:41 pm

Hey,

In-dash DVD players, by law, do not display movies while your vehicle is in motion... However they DO play the audio tracks from the DVD (you are able to hear the movie). Most DVD players also have a bypass where you can enable them to play video while driving (my Alpine IVA-D900 would usually require a brake / hand brake sequence in order to enable the video, however I have bypassed that hassle by connecting the sensor to my reverse gear instead of the brake).

But to restate your answer, you do not need to do anything to hear the audio from a DVD... I often pop in DVDs (esp music video DVDs) while crusing and retract the screen just to have some background noise.

Peace,

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Dimik » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:05 pm

psshh the hell with that my dvd will always be on..
Dimik
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:43 pm

Wait a second... If the Alpine needs you to jiggle the handbrake and keep it out of gear with the handbrake engaged (if I recall correctly), then if handbrake on = car in reverse gear, does this mean you only get to watch movies while your car is in reverse?
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby awesomeapproved » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:38 am

thanks for the information! I am psyched!
awesomeapproved
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:14 am

NeFaRiOuS_SLE wrote:Wait a second... If the Alpine needs you to jiggle the handbrake and keep it out of gear with the handbrake engaged (if I recall correctly), then if handbrake on = car in reverse gear, does this mean you only get to watch movies while your car is in reverse?

Hehe you're a silly boy :-P

Nah bro, the unit looks for a stop signal... My little trick only works on automatics (which all current Solara V6s are)... since you have to push the gear through reverse to get into drive, and hold down the brake while you do so, the unit receives the exact same signal pattern (hold down brake, signal, stop signal, release brake). I also have a fuse accessable, tucked up in the center trim so if I get pulled over while watching a movie I can yank the fuse and demonstrate how the unit won't play DVDs (simple safeguard) :-D

The only annoyance about my setup is the fact that in order to watch a movie while parked you have to perform the same sequence (put it to reverse then back to park), but this is a VERY minor setback, and that's assuming you haven't already had the car in motion (if you just get into your parked car and want to watch a movie or something)...

So basically, the irony of my setup is you have to fool the car into thinking you're IN MOTION to watch DVDs ;-)

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby awesomeapproved » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:05 am

Juuuuuuust a hypothetical question here....

If I were to wire the green wire that "is supposed" to be wired to the emergency brake light, to say, the accessory fuse, would I thereby bypass the whole DVD/Display cutoff entirely? That way, it seems like the accessory would provice continuous power to the circuit that thinks the car's E-brake is on.

Just a question. Thats it and thats all.

Thanks,
AA
awesomeapproved
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:42 pm

it's not seeking a continuous signal, it's seeking an off-on-off signal... the continuous on would actually lock it into restricted mode.
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby '00vegas-solara » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:12 pm

Another reason to install a Carputer. Consumer electronics are too restrictive. One you put in a Carputer your possiblities are endless.
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=21296
'00vegas-solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: in-dash dvd player question...

Postby NewJuhani » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:17 am

My friend has an 07 infiniti g35 sedan with the GPS/DVD system and it will play dvd's but only when the vehicle is in park.Don’t use an in-dash screen to entertain your kids. In most states it’s illegal to have a movie playing in the driver’s field of view (and highly unsafe).
Some car owners believe that a car DVD player is a pure waste for them and it is also illegal to drive a car while watching the DVD player. However, things are different if they drive a car with other passengers. They can easily get their passengers entertained if they have a car DVD player. Also they can let their car DVD player carry the GPS Navigation system which is indispensable for modern society.

:painting:
NewJuhani
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: in-dash dvd player question...

Postby GzNutz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:59 am

This thread is back from the dead....
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5