[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - PAC SWI-X (Universal Steering Wheel Interface)
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

PAC SWI-X (Universal Steering Wheel Interface)

PAC SWI-X (Universal Steering Wheel Interface)

Postby michaels artic frost » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:11 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around much, just trying to spend more time with the family and work has also kept me busy as well.

As most of you that have replaced your stock head unit found out that you've lost your steering wheel controls functions (volumes, track, mode & display) I know that some of you have grounded the YELLOW wire from the steering wheel harness to be able to use your DISPLAY button. (Which by the way was a great find. Just for future references on most of the cars on the road, you can go to http://pac-audio.com/ to find out which stock steering wheel harness to ground in order to retain other functions such as dte, range, mpg, etc.)

Well, I finally had a chance to have this PAC's SWI-X (Universal Steering wheel control) installed. Let me just say this much, it's well worth every penny spent! The PAC SWI-X works with virtually all aftermarket radios with wireless infrared remote capability.

I purchased 2 of these from Cardomain and they price matched another site and I got both with shipping for under $100.00. I plan on having the other one installed in my other vehicle.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PACSWIX
Part # PACSWIX
This item usually ships within
1 business day

Our Price: $59.95

Moving on, everything works now and I mean everything on my aftermarket head unit works like a charm. I can adjust the volume, tracks and change the many different sources that's on my head unit. The Display button to check the range, mpg, dte, etc. works as well. All steering wheel buttons are back to normal and are lit at night time.

There's about a 1 second delay when you press the buttons to adjust volumes or any buttons that control your aftermarket head units, but that's the only issue. Other then that, I'm 100% satisfied.

I hope this helps those of you that have lost the steering wheel controls. This PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Interface is universal and works for 95% of the cars that are out there.

Best regards,
Michael T. 8)

P.S. I posted the info below just in case they ever change the url.

http://pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Steering%20Wheel%20Interface
Part Number: SWI-X
Patent No.: US 6,956,952
The SWI-X is a learning remote which allows the customer to retain the use of their steering wheel or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit. The SWI-X will interface most aftermarket stereos into most vehicles with steering wheel or rear seat audio controls. Works with virtually all aftermarket radios with wireless infrared remote capability. The SWI-X also retains the use of heater control buttons on GM vehicles. The SWI-X features just can't be beat...

The SWI-X is so universal that you only need one SKU# to cover over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to current. New vehicles coming out every year? No problem! Never be stuck with a vehicle specific type interface.

Not only does it work for the major brand radios like Alpine, Kenwood Pioneer or JVC, but it will also work for Sony, Clarion, Blaupunkt, Pioneer, Eclipse, JVC, Panasonic, Rockford, Sanyo or just about any other brand out there.

Assign the buttons on the steering wheel with ANY infrared function on the remote. Don't be stuck with specific functions programmed by other manufacturers interface.

With select Alpine headunits, the SWI-X can be modified to directly plug into the remote port of the Alpine headunit. (Currently for the discontinued DIN 1/2 head units)

The SWI-X has non-volatile memory which keeps all programming in memory even if the vehicle battery is disconnected.

The SWI-X not only covers Ford, GM or Chrysler/Dodge but also it covers Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chysler, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, Suzuki, Toyota and Volkswagan. Oh, did we also say it covers Harley Davidson motor cycles?

Known radios that are not supported. Radios with listed remotes are not supported.
Radio Manufacture Radio Model Remote
JVC KD-AVX1, KDDV5100 RM-RK230
Sony MEX-5DI, MEX-1HD, CDX-M850MP, CDX-M3DI, CDX-MP70, CDX-MP80, CDX-CA900X, CDX-M7815X, CDX-M730, CDX-M770, CDXM620, CDX-M670, CDX-M800, CDX-M8800, CDX-M8805X, CDX-M9905X, CDX-CA850X, CDX-CA860X. RM-X110, RM-X112, RM-X131, RM-X145A, RM-X143A
Known vehicles not supported.
Manufacture Model Year Description
BMW All All with 5-volt SWC data wire at the steering column
BMW All All with factory-activated cellular phones (if customer is not using factory phone, then the SWI-X can be used)
BMW 5-Series w/navigation 2002-2003 All with 5-volt SWC data wire at the steering column
Chrysler 300c, Charger, Magnum, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2005 Durango
Mercedes All
Porsche Cayenne All
Toyota Sienna All-2003 Sienna Vans
VW All 2002+ With double DIN head units

Pioneer / Rockford
Non-Pioneer / Rockford

Please select Pioneer/Rockford to the left if you are working with these stereos; Pioneer - AVX-P7300DVD / AVXP7000CD / AVXP7000 / AVMP700R/ AVMP800R / AVMP900R / GEXP7000TV or newer model Pioneer flip out monitors and all Rockford Radios.

http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogramming/showstepbystep.asp?RadioGroupPioneer=0&mmSearch=Toyota&Submit2=Search+Vehicles&ID=281
Current Information selected.

The information we have on a 2004-2006 Toyota - Solara , has been generated below.

1. Quick description before we start wiring the SWI-X.

The SWI-X's interface wire color we are going to use is White. This is the White wire on the SWI-X, not the vehicle!
The other wires on the SWI-X, green, yellow, orange and blue wires are not used for your Toyota Solara.

This leaves you with a Red, Black and two loop wires. These wires will be discussed down below.

note: SWC = steering wheel control

2. Picture of the Toyota Solara plug.
The connector is viewed from the pin side not wire side.

3. Connecting the SWI-X's SWC input wire to vehicle plug.

Step A: N/A

Step B: Read only note # 4 in the below chart. If it is blank then skip to next step. The other notes in the chart do not apply to your vehicle.

Additional notes :

Note#

1 N/A
2 Connect pin 20 (Black) wire to ground. Connect pin 19 (Violet) to the INTERFACE's White wire. Connect one end of a 150 ohm resistor to pin 18 (Orange), then connect the other end of the resistor to the INTERFACE's white wire. So basically you will have two wires, one with a resistor in series, connected the the INTERFACE's white wire.
4 Connect pin 6 wire to ground. Connect pin 7 to the INTERFACE's White wire. Connect one end of a 150 ohm resistor to pin 8, then connect the other end of the resistor to the INTERFACE's white wire. So basically you will have two wires, one with a resistor in series, connected the the INTERFACE's white wire.
5 If vehicle has rear controls and needs to be retained with front controls, connect both pins 13 and 14 to the INTERFACE's green wire. Connect Pin 12 (Pink or Violet) to Accessory +12. Rear controls do not need to be programmed unless not on steering wheel.
6 Must get wire at steering wheel column. Cut wire in half and connect the INTERFACE's Yellow wire to key side wire. Insulate remaining cut wire.
8 Plug is located on AV Switch panel. The AV Switch panel is the radio control panel. Connect a 150 ohm resistor to vehicle's pin 13 wire. Connect a 47 ohm resistor to vehicle's pin 12 wire. Connect remaining ends of resistor to the INTERFACE's white wire. Connect vehicle's pin 14 wire to chassis ground.
9 There are separate wires for each button. Put a different value resistor on each wire and tie remaining ends of resistor to INTERFACE'S White wire.
10 Wire in steering wheel column in white or gray plug. Remove cover around key cylinder (special torx driver may be needed). Cut the wire in half. Connect the INTERFACE's wire to key side. Insulate remaining cut wire.

4. Connecting power and ground wires.

Black wire: Connect the SWI-X's black wire to chassis ground. This is usually a black wire on the aftermarket wire harness.
Red wire: Connect the SWI-X's red wire to a switched +12volt wire. This is usually a red wire on the aftermarket wire harness.

Using an aftermarket wire harness (http://bestkits.com/) will reduce any potential problems. Wire harnesses can be purchased from local stereo shops. Please note that aftermarket wire harnesses do not have a wire in the SWC pin location we mention above. You still have to connect the SWI-X's White wire to the wire on the factory side of plug.

5. Instructions for cutting or not cutting loop wires.

Step A: The purple loop wire does not need to be cut.
Step B: The brown loop wire does not need to be cut.

6. Programming the SWI-X with a version number and 'IR' Mode.
The SWI-X has to be programmed for version # 8 and set for 'Standard IR' Mode.
1. Press and hold the 'Mode' button on the SWI-X while turning on the vehicle to the accessory position. Both LED's will turn on.
2. Release the 'Mode' button and both LED's will turn off and then they will turn on for 3 seconds. Wait for 3 seconds and both LED's will turn off.
3. Press the 'Mode' button 8 times. Each time you press and release the 'Mode' button, both LED's will turn on and off. Once you press the "Mode" button 8 times, wait for 3 seconds. The right LED will flash 8 times indicating it is programmed for version 8. If it flashes the wrong version number, you will have to start all over at step 1 above in this section. Turn the key off.
4. Once you have programmed the correct version number, you will not have to do these steps again. If you need to reprogram the SWC and wireless remote functions, you can go directly to the next section.

7. Programming the SWI-X to learn SWC and wireless remote functions.

1. Turn the key to the accessory position (you do not need to hold the 'Mode' button at this time). The right LED will flash 8 times. This indicates it is programmed for version 8.
2. Press the 'Mode' button until the LEFT LED turns on, then release the button (This will erase all previous learned SWC and wireless remote functions). The SWI-X is now ready to learn a command from the steering wheel.
3. Press the Volume UP button on the steering wheel and hold the button. Wait until the LEFT LED turns off before you release the button. Note: Please do not press and release the steering wheel button quickly! If you do not press any buttons on the steering wheel, the SWI-X will time out after 7 seconds, which will turn off the LEFT LED and end programming. If you missed some buttons, you will have to start all over and program from the first button. If the LEFT LED turns off and goes to the right LED without pressing the steering wheel buttons, then there is a wiring issue.
4. The right LED will turn on at this time, waiting to learn from the wireless remote. Note: You do not have a timeout period when the RIGHT LED is on. You can take your time here. However, make sure there is no fluorescent lights or sunlight in sight of the SWI-X other wise the RIGHT LED will turn off and go to the LEFT LED.
5. Press and hold the wireless remote Volume UP button while pointing the remote towards the SWI-X's IR input. Wait until the RIGHT LED turns off before you release the button.
6. The LEFT LED will turn on.
7. From here you will do steps 3 through 6 again for each additional button to be programmed. So the next steering wheel button should be Volume DOWN and the wireless remote Volume DOWN. Note: The steering wheel buttons can be assigned any wireless remote function. So if you have for example a 'Mode' button on the steering wheel, you can program it a 'Mute' function from the wireless remote.
8. Once you finish programming the SWC buttons and wireless remote functions, the LEFT LED should be on. Wait for 7 seconds and both LEDS will flash 3 times. This indicates that the SWI-X has exited programming. The SWI-X's RIGHT LED will flash 8 times and will be in 'Run Mode'.

8. Testing the SWI-X.

1. Hold or tape the Infrared LED (blue LED on black wire)to a surface so it is facing towards the aftermarket stereo. It must have a clear line of sight to stereo. Try to minimize the angle as much as possible.

Best place to place the LED: In the center console or overhead console (extending the LED wire may be required)and as far back as possible. Behind dome light lens.
Bad places to mount the infrared LED: Do not mount LED in stereo installation kit. Do not place LED where cups or other articles will block it. If at all possible, try not to mount where sun light may hit the LED.
2. With the vehicle on, press a steering wheel button to control the stereo. The SWI-X should control the aftermarket stereo with what ever function you taught it. Test all other buttons.
3. If you have one or two buttons that do not work but the other buttons do work, then there was a programming error. Please reprogram SWI-X (Step 7 in previous section) until all buttons work.
4. Once all the buttons work correctly, you may Permanently install the LED.
5. The black LED bezel is designed to be mounted from the front of the surface you are mounting the LED. The LED snaps in from behind, into the mounting bezel. Carefully remove the bezel from the LED and measure the diameter of it. Drill a hole the same diameter as the bezel into the mounting surface (be carefully that you don't drill a hole too big or bezel will not stay in place). Feed the LED from behind through the hole and snap bezel onto LED. Snap the bezel into the hole. Be sure to run the LED wire to mounting location without it interfering with final dash/panel assembly.
6. That's it! Enjoy!
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby theprodigy79 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:00 am

I concur with Mike; I've been using this unit for around a year and a half now and it works like a charm... I retained all factory functionality and have never had any problems with it.

Only two head's up:

#1 It doesn't work if there's direct sunlight on the IR receiver (on the headunit) or on the transmitter.

#2 Make sure not to block the IR transmitter; do your best to place it where it will usually (if not always) have a direct line of site to the headunit. I made due with placing it in the front of the center console... When I first put it in, I kept forgetting it was there and would rest my arm on the center console while driving and get a bit peeved when my steering wheel controls didn't work... Large cups set in the cup holders also tend to knock out functionality (along with friends in the passenger seat using the arm rest). Just keep these things in mind...

Other than those couple gripes I couldn't be happier. It's not a flawless solution, but it's a darn good one.

-James
Last edited by theprodigy79 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby kgzero1 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:04 am

From what I found out, and just to clarify, the display button functioning again, has nothing to do with this piece of hardware. It has everything to do with grounding the yellow wire in the OEM harness.

How do I know? I grounded the wire a full week before I even got the PAC SWI-PS, and the display button worked.
2005 Solara SE
4 banger 5 speed MT
Lunar Mist Metallic

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/850364

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2055035
kgzero1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:23 am

kgzero1 wrote:From what I found out, and just to clarify, the display button functioning again, has nothing to do with this piece of hardware. It has everything to do with grounding the yellow wire in the OEM harness.

How do I know? I grounded the wire a full week before I even got the PAC SWI-PS, and the display button worked.

You are correct. This is ONLY for the radio controls, not for the other steering wheel button functionality... Installing a radio SHOULD NOT effect your Display button at all... But for some reason a few people have lost this functionality during their installations and, up until you pointed out the cause, hadn't been able to get it back.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby michaels artic frost » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:30 pm

theprodigy79 wrote:
kgzero1 wrote:From what I found out, and just to clarify, the display button functioning again, has nothing to do with this piece of hardware. It has everything to do with grounding the yellow wire in the OEM harness.

You are correct. This is ONLY for the radio controls, not for the other steering wheel button functionality... Installing a radio SHOULD NOT effect your Display button at all... But for some reason a few people have lost this functionality during their installations and, up until you pointed out the cause, hadn't been able to get it back.

michaels artic frost wrote:Hello everyone,
... Just for future references on most of the cars on the road, you can go to http://pac-audio.com/ to find out which stock steering wheel harness to ground in order to retain other functions such as dte, range, mpg, etc.)...

I was merely pointing out that in the future as I had stated in the first post, for those that don't want to go searching for wiring diagrams, they can go to Pac's site to find out which stock harness wire to ground to get their dte, range, mpg, etc. function to work again. Because from #4 instructions:

4. Connect pin 6 wire to ground. Connect pin 7 to the INTERFACE's White wire. Connect one end of a 150 ohm resistor to pin 8, then connect the other end of the resistor to the INTERFACE's white wire. So basically you will have two wires, one with a resistor in series, connected the the INTERFACE's white wire.

Props to kgzero1 for finding this out and posting it earlier about grounding the YELLOW wire. So with Pac's instructions of pin 6 to ground is the Yellow wire that kg was referring to. I hope everyone knows that this adapter is not to retain the display functions, but the radio steering wheel functions only.

kgzero1,

I'm glad you got yours installed this past weekend. I'm sure you're loving it as much as others that have this. :wink:

-Michael

p.s. now make it voice activated so our lives could be much easier...j/k. :wink:
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby kgzero1 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:25 pm

LOL. Yes I am!

BTW, I found out about the grounding issue from wiring diagrams, and the PAC intstuctions.
I had actually downloaded the PAC instructions months ago, but didn't really look at it untill recently.
One I looked through the wiring diagrams, I realized it was the yellow wire, and then I checked the PAC instrucions, and sure enough it refered to the same wire.
2005 Solara SE
4 banger 5 speed MT
Lunar Mist Metallic

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/850364

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2055035
kgzero1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby michaels artic frost » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:49 pm

kgzero1 wrote:LOL. Yes I am!

BTW, I found out about the grounding issue from wiring diagrams, and the PAC intstuctions.
I had actually downloaded the PAC instructions months ago, but didn't really look at it untill recently.
One I looked through the wiring diagrams, I realized it was the yellow wire, and then I checked the PAC instrucions, and sure enough it refered to the same wire.

Yup! I too had this info about PAC months back, but no time to actually get to it. I wished I had done this way back. I'm having this installed in my other car as well, I'm sure my wife will be happy. :)

-M 8)
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby tacti » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:03 pm

I just put up some pictures of SWIX (mine is not by Pac, but from Peripheral, they are the same product by different brand name i think..).
Mine installed right by the sunglass holder.
the installers were having hard time aiming, since my eclipse HU has very small receptor, but it's working like a charm now.
thanks for mike to introduce me to the guy who did the installation.

there are another picture on my CD site.

Tact
Used to be... Sand Mica THE Limited
Now... RX-8 THE Stock.... :(
RX-8 Page
Solara Page
SG Map
tacti
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:45 am

tacti wrote:...thanks for mike to introduce me to the guy who did the installation.

there are another picture on my CD site.

Tact

No problem Tact. Anytime bro. Glad to see it's working well for ya. No time to post interior pics on mine. Glad you got around to posting yours on your CD page.

-M 8)
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5