[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Briefcase amplifier / power inverter / hard drive unit
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Briefcase amplifier / power inverter / hard drive unit

Briefcase amplifier / power inverter / hard drive unit

Postby FLUXEMAG » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:21 pm

A few years ago I had my second system stolen, this was pre-ipod days. I had a 10" LCD on my dash with a hard drive and computer in the trunk along with 2x JL 10W3 and a 500x1. This was a very expensive loss, so I got busy making a removable amp kit.

My first plan was to use my zero halliburton aluminum briefcase for good cooling, but I wasn't very confident in my metal cutting and drilling, so I used a samsonite plastic shell attache instead.

I bored 3 inch holes in it like the muzzle on an automatic weapon using a hole saw, and mounted a power inverter and amplifier inside with a USB hard drive. The side of the briefcase was fitted with a wire harness I built from parts at Fry's electronics. There were about 16 banana plugs needed to make all the power and speaker wire connections to the amp etc. Plus a usb connection and a phone jack connection for the amp gain controller.

I knew it had to be a quick hookup, so I put all the 16 plugs in a cirlce with the USB in the center, and made it one connection into the side of the briefcase. Everything worked, but I was disappointed with the project because the hard drive had to be powered on seperately.

Now that IPODs are everywhere, I was thinking about building a standard model, using a Halliburton and a JL 500 watt mono amp. No hard drive, no power inverter. I would have to include the briefcase and the plug the fits into the side, with leads exposed for universal hookup (power, ground, RCA plugs, speaker wires). The JL amp doesn't use a remote turn on, so that will save me a wire.

I'll put a picture of the halliburton and the prototype up on my car domain tomorrow. Any interest? Or do I just live around a lot of crooks? PS, the briefcase gets a lot of attention from everyone so don't look sketchy.
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Rusty White
2005 Solara SE Sport V6, Lunar Mist
2010 G37 Coupe, Moonlight White
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby FLUXEMAG » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:24 pm

I should also note that having an amp that can be easily removed has it's ups and downs. You can bring it in the house at night or at work, but if you leave it in there a thief can steal it very quickly. On the plus side, every time I made it hard to steal something, they cut up my dashboard or destroyed the car and got the stuff anyways.
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Turbosolara » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:26 pm

what about just upgrade your alarm system and tint windows?? or use the money to buy a beater to drive to work or somewhere not safe.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby FLUXEMAG » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:22 am

Yeah, an alarm that calls your cell phone would be a good alternative.
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby FLUXEMAG » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:56 pm

Example pictures posted on my CD site.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2237988/1
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby '00vegas-solara » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:18 pm

Whats the Cable TV wire for?
'00vegas-solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby FLUXEMAG » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:40 pm

When I took the amp out I put a bunch of unrelated wires in there. I never took a picture of it in action because I didn't have a camera at the time. Just put this picture there to illustrate the kind of holes I am going to drill in the aluminum case. I think this time I'll use more holes of smaller size.
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5