[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - GPS NAV with Window Tint
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

GPS NAV with Window Tint

Postby dvdchris45 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:15 pm

Steer clear from ceramic tint film and your fine. We tinted our '06 TL 20% all around and there is no intereference with the navi.
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>Injen + Magnaflow </i>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby swindler » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:04 pm

Well, because I was curious, I thought I'd look up the tinting laws in New York. I got this from the NY DMV.

Question: What are the laws in NYS about tinted vehicle windows?

Answer: Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

If the vehicle is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible, the rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

If a medical condition requires a person to have tinted vehicle windows, they can request an exemption from the law. Request form MV-80W from a DMV Office or Call Center.

This is a very light tint - hardly worth it. 70% permissive is more light through than any of the 3M films discussed above, as well. I'm sure you can find it, but this isn't doing a lot for your tint. From what I understand from reading info, NY is VERY strict about this too, and there's currently legislation to add tinting compliance checks as part of the state inspection. There's also a law against tinting over the license plates.

But here is a medical exemption form if you can get a doctor to state that you need tinted windows.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv80w.pdf

Good luck.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible
swindler
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:28 pm

GPS might not be as picky about it with your ragtop as in a coupe. I'm sure they can rig you up for a quick test with some taped on sheets if you're worried.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby geminiz » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:40 pm

sorry i hit the back button which caused it to sumit two posts
Last edited by geminiz on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Solara SE (2.4L w/5 speed automatic)
Lunar Mist
geminiz
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby geminiz » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:42 pm

Sorry this has nothing to do with reception issues regarding tint.

The state law for me is 35% all around except the front windshield ofcourse. I am going to have my windows tinted soon as was wondering if anyone here that has the rear tinted 20% and the sides 35% have any comments on how this looks. From looking at the sides, I know you can't see the back, but does it look weird since the back is darker than the sides if you walk around the entire car? Is the shade that big of a difference to notice it? Has anyone heard of a tint called Sunguard, that is what they will be using. He said most cars from Florida uses it. Are they any good? Thanks guys.
2006 Solara SE (2.4L w/5 speed automatic)
Lunar Mist
geminiz
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cklinh » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:08 pm

Sorry I don't have a better pic, but if you look at the first page, I have 20% rear and 50% front... it doesn't look bad at all... I'd imagine that 20% rear and 35% front would look even better.
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby swindler » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:44 pm

geminiz wrote:I am going to have my windows tinted soon as was wondering if anyone here that has the rear tinted 20% and the sides 35% have any comments on how this looks. From looking at the sides, I know you can't see the back, but does it look weird since the back is darker than the sides if you walk around the entire car? Is the shade that big of a difference to notice it? Has anyone heard of a tint called Sunguard, that is what they will be using. He said most cars from Florida uses it. Are they any good? Thanks guys.

I actually have 35% on the side front windows, 20% on the rear side windows, and 20% on the rear window (although I have the ragtop so the rear window is small and distant from the side windows).

But even with the 35% and 20% adjacent to each other, you can't notice much of a difference. In fact, I'd say you'd have to be looking for the shade difference to really notice. It doesn't look bad at all.

And it's pretty common to do the rear window darker. If you looked at tinted cars in more detail, you'd begin to notice that. It doesn't look bad.

I haven't heard of SunGuard, but there's a LOT out there. It's probably okay. But be wary if a sales guy tells you that most everyone in Florida is using it. Every shop you go to will tell you a different story. There's a few common films, but I doubt that SunGuard is that common that it's the predominant film.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible
swindler
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Assyrian » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:02 pm

cklinh wrote:PS... this is the tint I'm using...

"3M™ Color-Stable Automotive Window Films CS"

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en00 ... utput_html

as suggested by the installer.

heh... I just noticed... their brochure has a Gen 1.5 Solara...

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebs ... 3YCOrrrrQ-

I highly recommend this tint. Tint can even hinder cell phone reception. the 3m solves that problem.
-Edgar
A noobie with an 02 SEV6 MTX
Assyrian
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5