[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Thinking of upgrading JBL sound system, need feedback
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Thinking of upgrading JBL sound system, need feedback

Thinking of upgrading JBL sound system, need feedback

Postby crayzboost » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:01 pm

hey guys i have a 2005 solara with the jbl sound system, it sounds great but i was thinking of upgrading the 6x9's and the front dash speakers, the problem is i need to know what others have had good luck with. i dont want to lose the rich bass sound but i want to upgrade to better speakers that fit corectly with no air gaps.

i also want to add an 8" subwoofer but i do not want to have my trunk ratteling or anything else for that matter so i will build a custom fiberglass enclosure in the back seat kind of in the rear of the center console and make it look as if its supposed to be there. i dont want a ton of bass but just a little more than stock.

then i plan on getting the eclipse nav unit cause my buddy works at circuit city and can get me 50% off it.. this box im gonna build is gonna be a task and i can wait to start it.
crayzboost
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:55 pm

The headunit is actually pretty sufficient to run decent aftermarket speakers on, as it actually has it's own external amplifier behind the glove box that puts out around 25 watts per channel RMS. When you do swap the head out with the Eclipse, make sure to remove the amp behind the glove box.

If you're are going to add a subwoofer, I'd go without 6x9s all together and just buy / make spacers for 6.5s all around. They are MUCH cleaner and more accurate than 6x9s; not nearly as sloppy or bass heavy. Remove the front windshield speakers and do not replace them... You won't need them with aftermarket speakers, and they will conflict... If you're really dead set on having something up there, get a good set of tweeters that MATCH your components, and set them at -6db for some ambiance... IMHO you shouldn't even worry with that unless you're planning some more serious upgrading... a couple sets of good aftermarket speakers will more than compensate for the 'loss' of the windshield speakers...

What kind of music do mostly you listen to?
What are you looking for in your sound system?
What is your price range?
Do you plan on getting a 4 channel amp to run your speakers on, or just running them off the headunit?

Answer these questions and it would be a big help :-)

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby crayzboost » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:09 am

theprodigy79 wrote:The headunit is actually pretty sufficient to run decent aftermarket speakers on, as it actually has it's own external amplifier behind the glove box that puts out around 25 watts per channel RMS. When you do swap the head out with the Eclipse, make sure to remove the amp behind the glove box.

If you're are going to add a subwoofer, I'd go without 6x9s all together and just buy / make spacers for 6.5s all around. They are MUCH cleaner and more accurate than 6x9s; not nearly as sloppy or bass heavy. Remove the front windshield speakers and do not replace them... You won't need them with aftermarket speakers, and they will conflict... If you're really dead set on having something up there, get a good set of tweeters that MATCH your components, and set them at -6db for some ambiance... IMHO you shouldn't even worry with that unless you're planning some more serious upgrading... a couple sets of good aftermarket speakers will more than compensate for the 'loss' of the windshield speakers...

What kind of music do mostly you listen to?
What are you looking for in your sound system?
What is your price range?
Do you plan on getting a 4 channel amp to run your speakers on, or just running them off the headunit?

Answer these questions and it would be a big help :-)

-James
thanks for the reply, i listen to mostly rap but i do like all kinds of music (love DMB) i like to have a clean sounding system.

price range is probably around 1000 not including the head unit.

yes i plan in getting a 4 channel amp, i already have a alpine class d mono 300w amp and will pick up a 4 channel. i like alpine stuff.

i dont want to go too crazy and hack up my car but i do want it to sound better.
crayzboost
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:41 am

Go for a 10" instead of an 8", it will drop lower in the frequency range, yet still be "tighter" than a 12". When you take your rear tray apart to put in the speakers, dampen the area and put in some foam to prevent rattles.

What all is your $1000 going to cover? You already have the headunit and sub amp, correct? So it will be going ONLY toward 2 sets of speakers and a 4 channel amp?

Let me know.

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5