[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Adding Voice Commands To Nav?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Adding Voice Commands To Nav?

Adding Voice Commands To Nav?

Postby linmk2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:20 am

Well, I seem to beginning to be and old pro at installing items attached to the factory nav system. First a few weeks ago, I installed a factory XM radio using information gleaned from this forum over the last year and half. Last night, I installed the BEC 105 back up camera. Wow, what a difference did that make! Now I can see out of the rear for the first time. I know there is a voice command module that can be added: http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/product/?id=1441
My question to whoever may have installed one of these, what are the parts shown and where does the mic button go? To have it in the steering wheel would be great, but I don't think that is possible. Also in seraching for information, ran across a statement that the older Nav units do have "bluetooth" software installed. Have any of your guys ever heard that? I don't recall ever reading that before. If so, what has to be added to make the software active?
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Astro » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:27 am

I think I read some things on http://www.tundrasolutions.com that someone bought the button for the steering wheel. I think it's from the 4Runner or something. I know you can purchase the whole button setup on the steering wheel, but I do believe you can buy just the voice command button. Then, you can pop off the old one and I think that there's something you have to do to hook it up. I hear the wiring should be there. Just search around tundrasolutions, I think they'll have an answer. I think there's some info on http://www.siennaclub.org forum that talked about it too.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby linmk2 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:02 pm

Well the Mic and Switch arrived today, so tonight I installed it. The installation was very simple and it seems to work rather well. The unit also controls the radio funtions too! I suppose on some other Toyota models, the unit also controls the Climate Control. The button for the Climate Control shows up on the nav screen "greyed" out. Now if there was some way to attach bluetooth, I would have everything one could want in a nav system. I've now installed a factory XM unit, BEC105 back-up camera, and now the voice control. I think I'm pretty much done with all the upgrades I plan to do. Perhaps at a latter date, I might try my hand on installing HID's, beyond that I think I'm done.
Howard
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cklinh » Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 am

Where did you attach the buttom and mic? That's the only thing holding me back from getting this thing.
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby HID04V6 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:48 am

cklinh wrote:Where did you attach the buttom and mic? That's the only thing holding me back from getting this thing.

I put the mic up on the center console on the roof- the thing that has homelink, the dome lights and the sunroof switch. I ran the wire out the back side and attached the mic right there- looks 100% stock. The switch, I put on the bottom side of the piece that you move to telescope the steering wheel out- I never use that lever and it is in a convenient to reach spot.
HID04V6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby linmk2 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 am

I'm very pleased with the look of my installation. While I'm not a fan of drilling holes, I felt that if I did mess the part up (steering column cover), I could get a replacement without a problem and not too many $$$$'s. I mounted the mic on top of the steering column, near the steering wheel. The button, btw, is much smaller than the picture appears, which is good, is mounted near the right stalk on the steering column. I removed the column cover. It's held only by two screws. You have to turn the steering wheel to get access. I drilled a hole in the top of the cover for the mic and ran the wires through the hole. I then attached the two halfs of the column cover together and drilled a very small hole between the two halves so the button wire could run though without being seen. If I had to do it over again, I would have mounted the button closer to the stalk. The problem, if the steering wheel is telescoped fully down, the button hits the dash. Since I don't drive with it fully down, there really is not a problem. If I do say so myself, the set up looks very "factory" and does not look like an add-on. I did everything in just over an hour. :D Some have said that there is not enough wire on the unit, but I did not find that to be so, at least with the way I installed it. Also just for information, my order for the mic and switch, took slightly less than two weeks to reach me. I just wish there was someway to tie in bluetooth using that set-up. I seem to remember something about that, but I have not been able to find the article again.
Howard
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kblanch1 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:14 am

Howard,
Can you email me at kblanch1@hotmail.com
I have a few questions about the microphone setup and how it operates.
Thanks a bunch!
-K
2006 SLE Conv. Black/Black w/NAV and Backup camera
kblanch1
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Tue May 29, 2007 7:23 am

Howard, can you take a pic of your setup? I'm thinking about this a bit more seriously now (if just for the wow factor)...
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby linmk2 » Tue May 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Here are some pictures.

The placement of the mic seems to work well. If I had it to do all over again, I would have mounted the command button closer to the wiper stalk. When the steering wheel is telescoped full down, the button hits the dash. Speaking of the button, I did my best to hide the wire running to it. The wire is mounted on the side on the button, so there was no way to hide it completely. The only problem with the installation is for whatever reason, the radio no longer mutes when the navigation directions come on. You can still hear them clearly, but there is no longer a mute. The mute now only occurs with the voice command. Go figure.
Last edited by linmk2 on Wed May 30, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby crazygreek » Tue May 29, 2007 10:27 pm

Very nice install. Like others have said it would be great to install the button in the steering wheel. But where would we find one and who wants to get into it with airbags. yikes!!!. Maybe we just purchase another mode switch and put it in place of the blanks on the other side? Who cares if it says mode as long as it works right.

By the way were there instruction for this when you purchased it or just kinda common sense.
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby linmk2 » Wed May 30, 2007 10:02 am

No, no instructions. All that was in the box was the switch, mic, foam tape, and some ties. The wiring is in two parts, the mic and the switch. The wiring is already attached to these items. One end of the wiring plugs into the rear of the Nav system. The plug right next the the XM tuner plug. The wire that plugs to the rear of the Nav has another connection, which the button assembly is plugged into. Thats it. Not really much to it. There is no software to install, just plug-n-play. There is no voice training, really nothing to do.
Howard
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Navigation Mic and Switch

Postby mekaleka » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:21 pm

Just installed the navigation mic and switch...$56.34 shipped from Gordon at Carson Toyota. Wicked easy to install, thanks to Linmk2. I took note of your button location and moved it between the wiper stalk and steering wheel, and place the microphone between the seat heater switches. Works very well.

Wish there was a bluetooth connection.

The navigation unit on this car has made it very upgradeable.
mekaleka
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ruski » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:35 pm

linmk2, very nice and clean instal
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby linmk2 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:22 pm

Glad I was able to help you guys. It's been way over six months, and everything still works well and still looks nice. Everyone who has seen it, thinks the car came that way. I really wish there was someway to tie in "bluetooth", but I suppose there is not anyway to do it.
Howard
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Astro » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Great work! The only way you can is with the Parrot kit. (I just installed the Eclipse AVN 5510 w/bluetooth). But, you won't have any visual on the screen.
If there's a chance that these NAVI's may be bluetooth enabled, I wonder if you use the disk from a newer version w/bluetooth it would work. But, they may also have an external module or something. I might just take a look at my wife's RX, she's got bluetooth.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5