[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Doing a double din NAVI is a PAIN! (56k Warning)
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Doing a double din NAVI is a PAIN! (56k Warning)

Doing a double din NAVI is a PAIN! (56k Warning)

Postby [SMAN] » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:01 pm

I can see why you people like to put single din screens in, or go with the factory setup. It's so much easier. Getting the dash apart was not a problem. I have seen people talk about having issues when things won't move, but for me it all seemed to work well. The plus side of this whole thing, is that there is plenty of space in there for all the wires needed to connected my kenwood setup. For reference, i pulled the unit out of my older camry (DDX-7015 + KNA-4100). This is the point where it stops being easy. I ordered the factory nav trim from reggie (Excelent service from him btw), however, next time, and for anyone else that orderes it, make sure you get the screws that hold it in as well. The factory cd player does not have the trim screws, so i had to use some ones i had here (i think they are 8mm).

Now, a lot of people have asked about what to do about the gaps in the toyta double din trims. Well metra came up with a solution, the 95-8202 http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-Double-DIN-Kit-for-Toyota-95-8202/sem/rpsm/oid/147829/catOid/-15585/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT AS IS!!!! It will not bolt up properly because the factory bracket is narrower that normal toyota radios. However, if you cut off all the bracket part, you can put the spacers in and tourqe the nav trim down tight enough to hold it in place.

Also, most aftermarket double din screens stick out too far. kenwood is known for this and the screen sticks out allmost a half inch from the base. Because of this, when i first installed it, it looked like i just tossed it in there and it didn't fit, and i was just kind of letting it sit there. Well i wanted a more flush look. So i drilled new holes in the factory metal bracket and pushed it back about a half inch. This is much better, and with the cutoffs of the metra bracket. My only problem, is that it is lined up to reflect the sky right into my eyes when the sunroof is open, so all i see is white cause of the reflection :o

A couple of interesting things to note that seemed to work well for me. The reverse wire i used is in the driverside kick panel. To get there, you need to pull up the door sill panel (this is on very tight, and you will most likely snap the white clips holding it in place unless you have a panel tool like i did. But don't worry, replacement ones are CHEAP!) And then the driver kick panel comes off after unscrewing the black cap. The wire you want is red with a balck stripe. It is the only wire of this style in the area, and it is right on the bottom in the middle They go into a junction box that is ressesed, so unless your looking dead on, it looks like they just go off into no where.

The VSS (Speed wire) is comming off of the ECM. For those of you who don't know where this is, it is next to the blower, so to get at it, just follow the howtwo on how to change your cabin air filter, and you'll see theunit on the right. The wire itself is Purple with a white stripe. Again, it is the only one in this area with that color. To get better access to tap into the wire, undo the electrical tape and insulation cover a bit to expose the wires.

Mounting the GPS antenna (This would probably also apply for people wanting to do SatRadio too). I got creative, i didn't want anyone to know i have nav, so I hid it. On the rear deck are 3 tabs for tying down car seats or cargo. Inside is a metal bolt. This is where i hid the the antenna. It was small enough that it fits there with no problems. And when you close the cap, it's only plastic and does not effect the reception. It is also far enough back on the roof line that you will not get much of an issue from the roof, and since it's magnetic, it will hold to that bolt and not move.

I hope this information has been helpful and feel free to ask me questions if you get stuck. I will be posting pictures of this setup soon once i get them all organized.
Last edited by [SMAN] on Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:44 am

Ok, sorry it has taken me so long for pics, but I have been busy with other stuff. I also added a homelink garage door opener. I took this one from an old nissan i had but you can ebay these units for $20. Anyways here is some pics, i wish i had moreof the fabrication, but i was getting pissed and didn't feel like snapping pics.

This is the start, ignore the radar detector as i hardwired it at the same time here so no more cord.

First, pull out the emergency flasher button (pry around the sides till it pops out)

Then disconnect it since the wires don't have enough slack.

Then you can grip inside and pull the whole unit out, the other wires and held in with a clip, so you won't be able to get a lot of room, but you should be able to move it out of the way.

The center console just pops out. Start by prying up at the rear glove box and work your way forward.

Then unbolt the radio, two at the bottom...

and two at the top

At this point you have it all out and a huge amount of space to work with.

Here is what the factory nav trim looks like. As you can see, the metal brackets are in the wrong spot for that metra kit, so i had to cut them and mount.

At this point i was getting pissed about the fitment, so i stopped takign pics, you can see the unit is recessed into the dash here and it fits perfectly.

And here is where i put the sat antenna. It works fine and i can usualy trak 6 GPS sats at a time, so reception is good. For those of you who don't do sat nav, but perhaps sat radio, this should be a good spot for that aswell.

Here is the garage door opener unit. I mounted this in the sunglass holder since i never use it.

Some cutting is required to fit it (and some glue) but it works great and is a cheap mod that you can do with a little time and very little $$$

Welp, i hope you all enjoy. To also add, since i had the sat nav in the back, i mounted the sat radio antenna in the front in that space behind the clock. Reception isn't perfect, but i think that is because i don't have a ground plate. However, it works very well out on the highway. Let me know what you all think.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dvdchris45 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:01 pm

Jeeez these pics are killer-huge...nice install anyways..

If you're up for it you can match the black pieces of the dash kit that fill the gaps on the side with the silver paint..they sell the spray paint at Autozone thats a damn near identical look

<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>Injen + Magnaflow </i>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby someazn » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:37 pm

SMAN, nice install man, that looks damn good. Looks identical to mine with the tapped radar detector. I have a eclipse nav unit and love it.

Hey dvdchris, do you happen to have a picture of the can of paint that you used? I would love to spray paint the black piece on my car. You unit looks clean with the silver paint on the black pieces. Looks OEM, too bad we can't make the navi look flush like the OEM navi...
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby dvdchris45 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:17 am

someazn wrote:SMAN, nice install man, that looks damn good. Looks identical to mine with the tapped radar detector. I have a eclipse nav unit and love it.

Hey dvdchris, do you happen to have a picture of the can of paint that you used? I would love to spray paint the black piece on my car. You unit looks clean with the silver paint on the black pieces. Looks OEM, too bad we can't make the navi look flush like the OEM navi...

I'll try and find the bottle of spray paint and post it up late sunday/early monday...I'm making the jump to Vista tomorrow so its gonna take a good chunk of my time... but yeah I'll keep u guys posted..
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>Injen + Magnaflow </i>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby blaK » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:54 am

Great job
WTF WITH ALL THE HUGE SIGS??????
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NightRider » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:00 am

really great work!
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:35 am

Good job writing up tutorial to take off the HU...I was too lazy to do it !! Maybe you can make an other thread in the tutorials section and copy paste your stuff ! :)
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby kingkakyle » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:08 am

did u have to drill new holes in the bracket to mount the navi more flush?
if so what did u use?
could i just use a cordless drill?
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:40 pm

kingkakyle wrote:did u have to drill new holes in the bracket to mount the navi more flush?
if so what did u use?
could i just use a cordless drill?

Yes i had to redrill holes to resses it. I used a drill press (big heavy machinery) and a metal bit about the same diameter as the factor holes. You can use a cordless drill, but you need some way of securing the bracket so that it won't move, and i recomend drilling small pilot holes because otherwise your drillbit is just going to skip along the metal. Also, make sure you measure your distances properly, you wouldn't wnat to drill your holes and then have them not line up. So measure things out, and drill it, it's doable (but very easy with a drill press to keep things strait).
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby michaels artic frost » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:55 am

Congrats on the install, everything looks great!

-M
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby islandgirl1028 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:17 pm

does the controls on your steering wheel still work?
islandgirl1028
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Sebas007 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Use PAC SWI-JACK (to keep working steering wheel radio control)
Refering to
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=36671
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby kingkakyle » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 pm

for the seering wheel control it depends on what navi u get
for the eclipse avn5510 it has a connector specifically for the steering control and i love it
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5