[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How to tap the speed sensor
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

How to tap the speed sensor

How to tap the speed sensor

Postby chrisc2 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Hey Guys,

I bought an OEM navi unit and I'm trying to install it into my 07 Solara. They said it was "plug and play" ... not quite so.

Can anyone tell me how I tap the speed sensor wire? I found in a thread the location of the wire but I've never done this.. how do I "tap" into it?

Thanks in advance guys!
chrisc2
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby corlon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 pm

just solder or splice on to it is what i think they meant then they said tap.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:10 am

It's plug and play if you had an existing JBL system, if you had the regular system, it's not and infact it's a lot of work. for the JBL systems, the speed sensor wire actualy runs in the smaller of the plugs that goes into the radio (the one with only a couple of wires that also has your stearing wheel controls) otherwise you tap it at the ECU behind the glovebox. As for how to tap, there are a few methods. 1st is there are these special clips that have a sharp piece of metal in them that you can use to piece the outer coating. I don't like these cause they don't allways work. The 2nd option is to take a razor blade and cut off a small part of the shielding. the 3rd option (and what i use) is this tool that basicly grips the wire and pulls it apart in the middle to expose the bare wire. once you have bare wire, run some sort of a pick or awl (is that spelled right?) to seperate the strands of wire into 2 groups. run your new wire in between and wrap it around nice and flat. The proper way is to then solder and use heat shrink over it to reseal it, but often people just wrap it around 6 or 7 times and then cover it with electrical tape.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chrisc2 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:50 pm

OMG That's for that. Did you have a gen 2 solara too?

Can I use a product like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xqdNWWAo3c ... &s=0&cc=01

I'm kind of scared about cutting into wires, etc.

I do have the JBL-factory system and it's not quite plug and play. I have the following problems:
- Nav doesn't give turn by turn (I need to connect the VSS wire)
- My mic for bluetooth/voice nav/etc. does not work
- My AUX jack found below the system does not work

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks sman!
chrisc2
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:59 pm

chrisc2 wrote:OMG That's for that. Did you have a gen 2 solara too?

Can I use a product like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xqdNWWAo3c ... &s=0&cc=01

I'm kind of scared about cutting into wires, etc.

I do have the JBL-factory system and it's not quite plug and play. I have the following problems:
- Nav doesn't give turn by turn (I need to connect the VSS wire)
- My mic for bluetooth/voice nav/etc. does not work
- My AUX jack found below the system does not work

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks sman!

well you know what you need to do for the vss wire. As for the aux jack and the bluetooth, i got no idea, perhaps you have a bad unit or your notrunning the latest nav disc? As for those taps, those are only good if you have a couple of bare end wires that you want to hold together, your best bet it to do it in the method i described. If your unsure, pickup some spare wire and practice. Thats how i got good with it.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby philosophicaljt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:52 pm

which year solara is it out of? if its a 2006 or below, it won't work properly, as though werent integrated until 2007.
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chrisc2 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:05 pm

philosophicaljt wrote:which year solara is it out of? if its a 2006 or below, it won't work properly, as though werent integrated until 2007.

It's a 2007 Solara with JBL Audio.

I know how to get the turn-by-turn directions working and for the bluetooth mic, I got the white plastic piece (connector) but I'm not sure what wires to extract and where they go. Lastly, I'm completely confused on how to get AUX input working....

Any suggestions?
chrisc2
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby philosophicaljt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:09 pm

i understand what vehicle you have, but what year vehicle did the unit come from. The 2004 solara had a different navi than the 2006 and up.

and there is a seperate wiring plug needed for the aux input?
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chrisc2 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Sorry it came from an 07 Solara.. and it's goin into a 07 Solara.

I bought it from oemvalue - they sent me a little plastic connector they said I need to use to hook up the bluetooth mic but I have no idea what wires go where or how to use it. My local shops is confused as well, they're used to simple harnesses, etc.

Anyone have any ideas? If I take this to Toyota, will they install it for me or will they laugh at me for not buying the nav with the car to begin with? (... there was a $8000 price diff which is why I didn't in the first place, lol).

Thanks,
chrisc2
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby chrisc2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Just to bump this.....

Does anyone know if any Toyota dealers will install a 2007 Factory Nav into a 2007 Solara with JBL?

It is already installed (by an audio-shop) but turn-by-turn navi/bluetooth/AUX does not work. I want Toyota to try and fix this.

My local shop says they won't do it. Is this the standard line all dealers will give?
chrisc2
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:30 pm

they might, but they will charge you an arm and a leg
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sparky5e » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:28 am

Is the white connector the R10(N8) 24 pin connector?

OEMvalue sucks. I never got anything but the unit and it isn't plug and play. The wires they claimed were there, weren't and best of all the blue tooth wont work like they said. I need the R10 plug so I can extract and relocate everything. If anyone knows where I can get one please help.

I lost my wire conversion drawings going from 07 6disk to 07Nav but if I find it I can post up the wiring changes. Had to download the electrical drawings and believe there was about 6 wires to relocate and 2 or 3 to tap in for reverse sensors.
07 SLE Convertable
Blue Streak Metallic
TRD FSTB and RSB, OSB Pedals, OEM Nav, CPE Intake, Stainless sills, "color matching" floor mats
Sparky5e
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby [SMAN] » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:46 am

reverse sensor on my car was just 1 wire in the driver side kick pannel.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5