[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - New System Soon, Need Help
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

New System Soon, Need Help

Postby Ransom8707 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:36 pm

to power up the amp i would suggest a 4-gauge power cable but, if your thinking about adding more amps in the future a 0/1 gauge power cable would be the best way to go in my opinion
Ransom8707
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby no_escape » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:05 pm

4g power wire... 16g speaker wire... 14g sub speaker wire
SC 4psi - 305cc - Jims Fuel Upgrade - AFC NEO - 190 Walbro - Tokico/Eibach - Short Throw Shifter - FTB - RSB - K&N Filter - Greddy Evo II catback
no_escape
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby someazn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks guys for all the replies. Now that I know what I am going to get, where do you guys recommend mounting the amp? I was thinking about behind the glove box. Any recommendations?
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Ransom8707 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:28 pm

are you sure that amp fits behind the glove box?

i mounted mine behind my back rear seats in the trunk that way i have easy access to it by just folding down the seat but yet mines a gen1 not sure on gen2's...many would say to be careful since its carton under the seat carpet but its been there for a year now without loosed screws no problems so far
Ransom8707
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

stereo stuff

Postby Soarer24 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:51 pm

well, on top of what i already listed having in my lara, tomorrow im having my stereo guy install a Rockford 300w rms mono amplifier(2 channel), one 12" rockford sub (4 OHM dual voice coilover) with a 12" slot vent box. He's using, twisted 3ft RCA amp kit, and rockford 4 AWG power wiring. I didnt realize putting all this stuff in my car was going to require two amps, I wonder if i could of gotten away with one really big powerful amp?? anybody know?
2004 Solara SE Sport (4cyl)
(Lunar mist metallic)

Alpine V-power AMP, 4-Alpine 6x9 type S,
Kumho ECSTA ASX tires, Rockford punch AMP
Rockford punch 12" sub
Soarer24
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

where to mount the amp.

Postby Soarer24 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 pm

i had my alpine amp for the speakers mounted under my passenger seat, and im having the rockford amp for the sub mounted under the drivers seat. Its just a personal preference, i didnt want loose to much of my trunks usefullness and if i had them both mounted to the back of the rear seats in the trunk, I was worried about them getting damaged when i carry things back there. good luck with man!
(Lunar mist metallic)

Rockford punch 12" sub
Soarer24
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: where to mount the amp.

Postby someazn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Soarer24 wrote:i had my alpine amp for the speakers mounted under my passenger seat, and im having the rockford amp for the sub mounted under the drivers seat. Its just a personal preference, i didnt want loose to much of my trunks usefullness and if i had them both mounted to the back of the rear seats in the trunk, I was worried about them getting damaged when i carry things back there. good luck with man!

got any pictures?
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

pics

Postby Soarer24 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:44 pm

ill try and get some pics tomorrow after the install is done.
(Lunar mist metallic)

Rockford punch 12" sub
Soarer24
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby someazn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:45 pm

Also, where does everyone mount their crossovers and how are they wired up? Say, for the kappa perfects, do both the speakers and the tweeters wire up to the crossovers?

Also, will this setup sound weird without a sub? I was thinking about getting the Infinity Basslink, but thats for later on.
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: stereo stuff

Postby no_escape » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:02 am

Soarer24 wrote:well, on top of what i already listed having in my lara, tomorrow im having my stereo guy install a Rockford 300w rms mono amplifier(2 channel), one 12" rockford sub (4 OHM dual voice coilover) with a 12" slot vent box. He's using, twisted 3ft RCA amp kit, and rockford 4 AWG power wiring. I didnt realize putting all this stuff in my car was going to require two amps, I wonder if i could of gotten away with one really big powerful amp?? anybody know?

If you want it to sound good... then not really. I know Kicker makes a 700x5 amp but why would you want only 150 to a sub that is 150 RMS and peaks at 300... asuming that your running a P1. A two amp setup is better in my oppion.

And you really don't need a slotted vent box unless you have a hatch. However it does matter what you listen to more. I've found with rock, metal, punk, and other hardcore music a non ported box is best... even in a hatch. With Rap, R&B, and other big bass music... a ported box sounds better. It's really how you prefer your system to sound and what you listen to as well as if your car is a hatch or not.
SC 4psi - 305cc - Jims Fuel Upgrade - AFC NEO - 190 Walbro - Tokico/Eibach - Short Throw Shifter - FTB - RSB - K&N Filter - Greddy Evo II catback
no_escape
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby hskrsolara » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:53 am

check my sig...very happy with the results.
99 DWP SEV6 5spd 6.5psi+Meth, Tein+Tokico, EricSol+Brembos+EBC, OBX Headers+OBX 3" Exhaust, Supra MAF & 330cc, Spec 2+, Fidanza, TRD lip kit, Injen+Ext, Optima Red, Infinity 60.5+693.7i, 2 Kappa Perfect 12 VQ's+iPod+JVC DVD...etc
hskrsolara
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby someazn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:17 pm

So I finally finished installing the kappa perfects 6.1 up front and I'm finding the tweeters overly bright. Hurts my ears when I listen to them at high volume. I have them installed in the stock location, up front in the dash. Had to fabricate a mount for it. I heard on some forums that the tweeters would sound a lot better if I mount it closer to the door speakers. Is this true? I am going to try and lower the gain db settings on the crossover for the tweeters and see what happens. If all else fails, I'll just get longer bolts and add washers so the tweeters are lower and closer to the door.

Another problem I am having is radiated noise. I bought a line output converter from circuit city and installed it, but I get this magnetic interference when the converter is close to metal. The wires are just not long enough for me to keep it away from metal. Is there a way to remedy this. The sound is pretty annoying when the speakers are on mute.

Also, my door speakers are rattling like crazy when the volume is up. The mounting is pretty secure, but the speakers pound like crazy. Is there a way to remedy this. Thanks.
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Ransom8707 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:09 pm

as for the speaker rattling just buy some FatMat (same as Dynamat but all your doing is paying for the name personal buyer here)

take the speakers out cutout the speaker size and install it behind the speaker and you should be good to go
Ransom8707
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:13 pm

if the tweets are hurting your ears you might check to see if the polarity is correct. maybe one side is flipped. meaning... check that the pos and neg on the speaker is hooked up correctly to the xover~

but keep in mind, infinitys are generally very bright speakers and can hurt the ear!
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby someazn » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:37 pm

I don't know, but for some reason, the Kappa Perfects sound worst than stock. I don't know if there are settings I can mess with on the amp, crossovers, or head unit, but I am extremely disappointed by these speakers. Anyone have any advice on settings I can change on the amp. crossovers, or head unit that might help? I am also getting a lot of distortion.
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5