[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Replacing HU
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Replacing HU

Replacing HU

Postby BadAngel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Allright, i know this post has been made like 5 million times but i have some questions that i want to clarify on.

After researching how to add an ipod to the car and still use the HU and steering wheel controls, i decided it would just be easier to but a new HU in it.

Now for the questions....
I haven't decided on a head unit yet but i am leaning towards alpine since i love their products.
Anyway, i know that i can get harnesses so that there will be little to no splicing involved, but heres where some of the questions arise:
Will I be able to use steering wheel controls (I love them and would really like to be able to use them with the new HU)

I have been told that i should bypass the amplifier and use amplifier built into whatever HU i get, but I would really rather use the stock amplifier because I don't want to lose the tweeters in the dash. I read that metra makes a harness with RCA's which would allow me to just plug it into the back of my head unit (if anyone can verify this it would be great) If not, is there ANY non jerry-rigged way to use my stock amplifier with a new head unit. If not, is there any way to not loose the tweeters in the dash when bypassing the amplifier.

Any input would be much appreciated

-Rob
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:18 pm

for the steering wheel controls you will need a module to retain them, Something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Steering-Wheel-Cont ... dZViewItem
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:31 pm

From our PMs...

Another thing i was thinking of is... will i be able to use my steering wheel controls.... i am really against doing it if i can not use the steering wheel controls since i love thoes damn things..

No, you don't have to lose your steering wheel controls... Look up the PAC SWI-X... As long as your headunit is remote control compatible (even if it does not come with a remote) you can use it.

Now if i do decide to do it.... there is NO way to make the tweeters work? or is there a way i would be able to easily do that without replacing the speakers in the car already since i would really rather not be taking doors apart.

There are certainly ways to re-enable your front high-range speakers if you so desired... The easiest way would be to buy a decent pair of cross-overs (from a set of components) and wire them in... So you'd run your front speaker wires from the headunit to the cross-overs, then the door speakers off the mid-bass range and highs off the tweeter range... It shouldn't be too difficult to find the wiring for the highs, you'll just have to take some time and trace them out...
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:34 pm

The second part of my statement regarding wiring in cross-overs would require some disassembly though in order to trace out the wires and mount / locate the cross-overs (although they can be placed pretty much anywhere you want)...
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5